The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7yr old JH title.. Is it worth it?

Default 7yr old JH title.. Is it worth it?

I have a blk female lab who will be turning 7 in November. To make a long story short, this is a dog who had a previous owner and was abused and neglected. I did not get her until she was 4 1/2. At first she was just a pet, but it was quite obvious she had a strong desire to retrieve. I took training very slowly, especially in the beginning because of her past. She hunted with me the past 2 seasons and has done very good considering her past. I have not trained her for any handling but she will do singles and doubles with no problem now. She is steady at the line but can be a little vocal on throws(whining).

I have never participated in any kind of HT and am very interested in getting into the game. Not as much with Annie, but eventually in the next few years when I buy another dog. Do yall think it would be worth it to run some HT with this dog and for JH level with her soon to be 7yrs old. Im not trying to set the world on fire with her and am honestly am already thrilled this abused and neglected dog has came as far as she is now. I figure it could be good experience for the both of us but know usually the JH level is very young dogs.

What will it hurt? Get yourself some line time (get your passing-out & puking over with ) & let the dog have some fun. I see no down side here. Also a bunch of older dogs run JH; these are events designed to let you have a good time with your dog, there's no age limit on that . NAHRA's hunter division is doubles, and a trail (which a hunting dog has a bunch of experience with) no blinds, a step up when your ready to push the team.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-09-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I think it's worth it for a few reasons; 1), With that history she deserves to be honored. A JH isn't much to a lot of us, but it is an official AKC Title that will always be attached to her name. 2) She clearly enjoys the work, actual hunt test are an even bigger blast for the dog. 3) This is good practice for both of you. I worked my way up through the ranks with my first dog, it would have been much harder for me to jump right into senior or master without learning the ropes in junior.

Give it a try! You may find she has a blast!

I put JH on a 10 year old "meat dog". He had fun, and I gained a ton of experiance. You have to start somewhere!

Not one bit important, if she is older. Whether it is worth it, only you can say.
    Personally, I think, if you want to do it, have some fun, meet new people...go for it.

And, if anyone makes some smart a** comment about her age..ignore. You are there for your dog, and yourself.
    And good on you for doing all you have done with Annie. She is a lucky girl.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Go for it! You will learn something with regards to running hunt tests and Annie will have a great time retrieving!!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by mja9346 View Post
    I have a blk female lab who will be turning 7 in November. To make a long story short, this is a dog who had a previous owner and was abused and neglected. I did not get her until she was 4 1/2. At first she was just a pet, but it was quite obvious she had a strong desire to retrieve. I took training very slowly, especially in the beginning because of her past. She hunted with me the past 2 seasons and has done very good considering her past. I have not trained her for any handling but she will do singles and doubles with no problem now. She is steady at the line but can be a little vocal on throws(whining).

I have never participated in any kind of HT and am very interested in getting into the game. Not as much with Annie, but eventually in the next few years when I buy another dog. Do yall think it would be worth it to run some HT with this dog and for JH level with her soon to be 7yrs old. Im not trying to set the world on fire with her and am honestly am already thrilled this abused and neglected dog has came as far as she is now. I figure it could be good experience for the both of us but know usually the JH level is very young dogs.
    It's about YOU and your DOG!!!

Do what is best for you 2!!!

And have a great time!
    Stan b & Elvis

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I think we would both really enjoy it. Do you think I should go watch a HT before entering one? I have never been to one and really do not know much about them except for what I have read on RTF or from reading the rules and regulations.
    Last edited by mja9346; 07-09-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Absolutely, go for it!
    Have as much fun as you can with her and learn a few things along the way for the next one.
    She deserves the fun with all she has been through.