The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching pigeons...

Default Catching pigeons...

Gained permission on a building next to where pigeons are constantly at. The primary location wouldn't let me trap on their building so gained access on the next rooftop. This adjacent location is two stories lower and I haven't seen pigeons on it. What feed is best to get them on there to trap?

thanks in advance

I've had a lot of success with cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds. Pigeons aren't overly picky though, bread crumbs and cookies might do it too.
    Last edited by ndk3819; 07-09-2014 at 05:14 PM.

They don't call them flying rats for nothing...

I always had success with cracked corn. Just put the trap in place with the food inside and the bobs or door wired open so they get used to going inside. After a couple of days of feeding them, you can lower the bobs/door and you'll have lots of birds.
    Magnolia Jazz of Kerrybrook (Kerrybrook's Vince x Kerrybrook's All Jazz'd Up)
    Gahonk's Ms Behavin' (Gunstock's Lethal Weapon x Gahonk's Tizzy)
    Guns of Autumn SH (Jazztime x Canby's Magic Spell)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
    I always had success with cracked corn. Just put the trap in place with the food inside and the bobs or door wired open so they get used to going inside. After a couple of days of feeding them, you can lower the bobs/door and you'll have lots of birds.
    X 2 only I use chicken scratch

I've always used the wild bird seed from walmart. Works great and you don't have to buy a 50# bag

All great suggestions above. Another option... Go on the roof at night with a bright flashlight. If they're roosting up there somewhere they'll be easy picking. Just shine their eyes and grab 'em. Baiting and trapping them works great, but in a spot where you can access a roost it's hard to beat a flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by LGH View Post
    I've always used the wild bird seed from walmart. Works great and you don't have to buy a 50# bag
    A 50# bag from a feed store is probably less than a 5# bag of bird food from Wal Mart.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I only use whole kernal corn, $9.00 for forty pounds at wally world.
    You will need forty pounds to get started, if your trapping area is below where they are
    you will need to put out alot of bait to gain their attention. May take several days
    of rebaiting or you may have to put a bird in your trap to draw them to your area.

I build my traps, but if you want to buy one go to nixalite.com Good Luck!!!
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH

if you go at nite and shine um, save 1 live one and put it in your trap with the feed.
    most any feed works if you have a Judas bird in the trap, for real!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin