RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Trying to research some info on EIC

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jazzypad1 
#1 ·
Carriers inparticular, I was wondering what if any the percentage of carriers having an episode is

#2 ·
Carriers are not "affected", therefore no episodes. Carriers strictly carry the gene for EIC.

#3 ·
EIC Clear = Will not collapse
EIC Carrier = Will not collapse
EIC Effected= Some will collapse and some will not.....

#6 ·
Right on ....

#5 ·
I would gander that it might of been heat related if the dog was tested and it was for sure he was a carrier.

#8 ·
Little more info. The breeder had the pups tested before they went home, his was a carrier. After his dog went down he had it tested and he came back a carrier as well. Weather could have played a part but I'm not sure, from my understanding the dog went down early spring/ late winter. But we have weird weather in ne tx. Snow 1 day, swimming the next type weather lol.

Is there another lab that test for eic besides the U of Mn?

I've owned 4 dogs that were affected, it's a heart breaking sight to watch them have an episode.

The Yellow pup in my avatar is affected

#11 ·
I would say you need to contact the U of M directly. A video of the dog would be helpful too. Was the test done with a check swab? Might consider a blood sample. But I'm positive the U of M would want to speak to the owner if the dog is truly going down with EIC symptoms.

#9 ·
U of MN developed the test and I would not trust any of the other labs to run the test.

If the dog tested "carrier" after the event, then something else caused the collapse. Could have been heat related, could be heart, could be a lot of things.

Meredith

#12 ·
big dog did your friend have UofM do test or another lab? If it was UofM I would believe it. If any other I would question results.

#14 ·
I have a collapsing dog and he's an EIC carrier. He has been diagnosed with a condition which is not EIC. The dog in question probably has a problem which causes some kind of collapse but is not due to EIC. The Uni of Minnesota currently have a research project looking at "atypical collapse in labrador retreivers " - may be worth contacting them -
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/Mickelson/lab/EIC/AtypicalCollapse/home.html

#15 ·
I have a collapsing dog and he's an EIC carrier. He has been diagnosed with a condition which is not EIC. The dog in question probably has a problem which causes some kind of collapse but is not due to EIC. The Uni of Minnesota currently have a research project looking at "atypical collapse in labrador retreivers " - may be worth contacting them -
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/Mickelson/lab/EIC/AtypicalCollapse/home.html
This will be the case with any dog "going down" that is an EIC carrier. It cannot, by definition, be related to EIC since the dog is a carrier, as physically normal as any EIC clear dog and is NOT EIC affected. Only EIC affected dogs have EIC episodes/collapse. The collapse noted has to be unrelated to EIC & related to something else.

#16 ·
http://www.akcchf.org/research/success-stories/understanding-EIC.html

"If the type of EIC seen in Labrador Retrievers without the DNM1 mutation isn’t the same as d-EIC, what is it? That’s a good question, and one that scientists will continue to investigate. There’s a good chance that it isn’t a single condition at all, but that multiple disorders may actually be responsible for exercise intolerance in the breed."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.