The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball Caps and Skin Cancer

Default Ball Caps and Skin Cancer

A hat with at least a 2- to 3-inch brim all around is ideal because it protects areas that are often exposed to intense sun, such as the ears, eyes, forehead, nose, and scalp. A dark, non-reflective underside to the brim can also help lower the amount of UV rays reaching the face from reflective surfaces such as water. A shade cap (which looks like a baseball cap with about 7 inches of fabric draping down the sides and back) also is good, and will provide more protection for the neck. These are often sold in sports and outdoor supply stores. If you don’t have a shade cap (or another good hat) available, you can make one by wearing a large handkerchief or bandana under a baseball cap.
    A baseball cap protects the front and top of the head but not the neck or the ears, where skin cancers commonly develop. Straw hats are not as protective as hats made of tightly woven fabric.
    Cancer.org

Also many sunscreens are good for blocking the rays that cause sunburn but not the UVA rays that cause
    cancer and skin damage. Your sunscreen may list a high number for "protection" but it may only apply to the screening of burning UVB rays.

Many sunscreens do not block UVA radiation, which does not cause sunburn but can increase the rate of melanoma and photodermatitis, so people using sunscreens may be exposed to high UVA levels without realizing it.[4] The use of broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreens can address this concern. Diligent use of sunscreen can also slow or temporarily prevent the development of wrinkles and sagging skin.[5]
    Wikipedia
    Last edited by Losthwy; 07-09-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

The wide brim hats are incompatible with the ear-muff style of hearing protection that I like. The orange spongy things are uncomfortable.

Sunburn vs. deafness: how to choose...
    Renee P

That's why I frequently wear my Tilley hat or booney hat.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 07-10-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...g_bs_553558_25
    These hearing protectors are comfortable.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    The wide brim hats are incompatible with the ear-muff style of hearing protection that I like. The orange spongy things are uncomfortable.

Sunburn vs. deafness: how to choose...
    1. Remove wide brim hat
    2. Put ear protection on
    3. Shoot and throw bird
    4. Remove ear protection
    5. Put wide brim hat back on
    It's a bit inconvenient but worth the effort, damaged hearing and skin are not reversible.

Watching my grandfather over many years wear baseball hat, and go thru multiple operations with skin cancer on his ears and removal over years of so much infected areas he ended up with his glasses held up with the sports glasses elastic. Tilley hats for me and no problem using ear plugs. As ed states NOT reversible.
    DLM

" Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

After discovering that a stubborn and recurring dry patch of skin on my ear was actually basal cell carcinoma a couple years ago, I had to have a good chunk of the top of my ear cut out. Thankfully the doctor was able to reconstruct it so it's not so noticeable. I was only 42 at the time! Now use a good UVA/UVB sunscreen and a wide brimmed hat.

I would feel naked without my Tilley hat!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

"The wide brim hats are incompatible with the ear-muff style of hearing protection that I like. The orange spongy things are uncomfortable.

Sunburn vs. deafness: how to choose..."

The choice isn't sunburn it's skin cancer. You need to find some ear protection that allows you to protect your skin as well.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...g_bs_553558_25
    These hearing protectors are comfortable.
    Thanks, but these are a breed of the orange spongy things I can't use. I have tried some like these and they are beyond uncomfortable, they hurt. Apparently I have small ear canals, and the orange spongy things don't work.

Someone needs to design a wide brim hat that works with ear muffs, or has built in ear muffs!
    Renee P