The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory Blind Question

Default Memory Blind Question

I am transitioning my guy into the field with blind work and have run into an issue. We have used this particular spot several times and he has the same issue. I begin the session with a review of 3 handed cast and a few whistle sits while walking out to the area I will use for work. The grass in this particular spot is approx. shin high and there is a 2-3% grade up hill over 50 or so yards. I will walk him at heel to the first spot the bumpers are placed and from there walk directly to the second spot where the bumpers are placed and then return to the "line". Line up pup and send to the first location. This is where it gets interesting. He will take off on the correct line however he will stop on his own and hunt larger clumps of tall grass and milk weed type vegetation. I will blow whistle he will sit and I will re direct however he will return to these same giant clumps of grass. I will go out and physically pick him up and re sit him and stand over him until I can direct him to the bumper and return to heel. Ten or more sits and casts. Second blind I line up and send he pins and takes a perfect line. No sits or casts. I'm a bit stumped as to why he hunts the tall vegetation but also glad he doesn't avoid it if that makes sense. Thanks in advance for your input.

he is returning to the spot of an old fall....where he has been rewarded before
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Transition training is very exciting and can be very challenging for both the handler and the dog.

Not sure how old you pup is, or what program you're following and if I'm reading your post correctly you're attempting to teach a double blind.

Do you throw marks in this same field?

Your pup is obviously convinced you want him in the cover, without knowing all the facts I'd simplify to one blind, start short, teach the pup to drive the cover, then increase the distance until the pup is driving with confidence.

You're going to get a lot of input on this, good post!

Good luck and have fun.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

I'm sort of confused here. Are you teaching pattern blinds? Pattern blinds should be taught on short grass 100-150yds. with three legs. After pattern blinds you can teach a few memory blinds, hopefully one in three different fields and only visit them once a week at most.Used mostly for confidence builders. After 3 legs of patterns are taught you don't take dog with to place bumpers.Place them then go get dog and run them cold. My memory blinds don't have any factors and are 400-600 yds. long. I use them when teaching cold blinds and his attitude is low, I go do memory blinds basically he knows where he's going so it's just go dog go! After patterns are complete you can start doing short easy cold blinds and build from there. As for the clump of weeds do you think there can be a rabbit den in there? You might try and stop him short of clump and handle. Best of luck Guy

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    he is returning to the spot of an old fall....where he has been rewarded before
    No, but the first time at this location I thought he had winded a rabbit and that may have him returning to this particular area. Gonna try a different spot next time and see what happens.

I was revisiting blinds as prep work for hunting season. I do not test or trial so a 400 yd - 600yd is not in the cards. Plus most of the situations I hunt in a blind is only about 100 maybe 150 at most ( not a lot of yardage in my local of the Empire State ). I agree with the rabbit. LOL.

If he is pressure conditioned and he has run these blinds before and is blowing you off for ten casts while standing right in front of him I would be going up in pressure. Nick "back" as soon as he checks up. Doesn't matter the reason. He's honoring his nose, caving to a factor and then blowing you off when you handle. The worst part is that what you are doing is not teaching him anything as evidenced by him doing it the next time out. I personally wouldn't skirt the issue by moving I would use it as a training opportunity and work through it.

Thanks. I have applied pressure and he will initially take a back line but then will find another clump to look into. I do agree that this should be used as something to work past. Would the correct action be to go back and continue in the same manner or to see of this pops up in another area just to see if its an association with that particular spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    The worst part is that what you are doing is not teaching him anything.
    I don't know if you are more damaging to dogs when you are defending cops shooting dogs in their back yards, or if it is in the present case when you try to give training advice.

I do know that all dogs would be well served if your computer crashed

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I don't know if you are more damaging to dogs when you are defending cops shooting dogs in their back yards, or if it is in the present case when you try to give training advice.

I do know that all dogs would be well served if your computer crashed
    I love you too. So, what would Marc do? WWMD