The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drive or Desire...one and the same?

Default Drive or Desire...one and the same?

I currently have a 8 month-old BLF in training that's giving me mixed signals. While she's shown good prey (and retrieving) DRIVE up to this point, she's also shown me (to quote Ron White) that "she's got a lot of quit in her."

In the past, I've always associated DRIVE and DESIRE as the same animal...yet this pup is causing me to re-think my definitions of each. Personally, I'm beginning to see DRIVE simply as the chase-mechanism that most of our dogs posses, but in varying degrees. My definition of DESIRE would be a combination of qualities (specifically tenacity and perseverance). I believe DRIVE can be present without DESIRE, but DESIRE cannot be present without DRIVE.

While this may simply be a lesson in semantics, I still think it's a topic for good discussion. What say you?

I break down to prey drive and work ethic.

My Sable dog had great prey drive and was an incredible hunter but had terrible work ethic. She hated drills and it took a lot of training and a lot of thought on my part to get her to the level she was at.

My Delilah pup has got great prey drive and a wonderful work ethic, she's simply up to whatever task is on the menu for the day.

In my opinion a dog that does not have work ethic drives when they want to drive. And quitting is directly tied to perseverance, and this will show up any time the dog is challenged, whether it's on a blind or a challenging mark or any of the necessary drills we must perform.

Good luck with your pup.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Is it possible she's getting ready for her first heat cycle? That screws alot of them up for awhile. Sounds like she might be too much of a thinker and that can result in a poutty dog.Maybe try training every three days to try and keep her attitude up.You may have to slow up some to keep it more fun and easier for her. Good luck Guy

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Kirk, in my post about "bottom" I mentioned my pups high desire and his attitude he has to make the retrieve at all costs. He takes a big correction and shakes his head and is immediately ready to go again on my terms. He doesn't pout about being corrected and that is what I call drive.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

You can also have drive without trainability or desire to please. Blinding drive is out of control-gotta get it at any cost--without the desire to work with you or do it on your terms.

Meredith

I talk about this all the time. I can't describe exactly what desire is, but I know it when I see it. That said I have seen many dogs with drive and little or no desire, but I have never seen a dog with desire that lacks drive.
    The one thing I do know about desire is that you can only build upon it, you cannot teach a dog desire if it doesn't have it on it own. You can increase desire in a dog with it, but if they aint got it they aint going to get it.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Is it hard to differentiate Drive/desire and confidence?

I think if you sit a dog on park grass,and thow a 65 yd visible mark, you witness a dog that shows a LOT of drive/desire. But,, is it really confidencer?

If you throw marks that have many factors, and are above and beyond the dogs training level you may see a dog that performs with less drive,, or is it a lack of confidence?

So, does it make more sense to build that confidence slowly,by adding factors gradually, thus enhancing the dogs perceived drive/desire?

For SOME dogs!

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 07-10-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Confidence is not drive. I can teach a golden with no drive to be confident that a mark will always be there. Confidence can build drive if it is there, but confidence alone does not drive equal.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Mine has a drive and desire to eat... When it comes to hunting they may have the desire(instinct) but not the "drive" to go beyond what they see are their limitations...

Drive is something that pushes you to higher limits... to excel under pressure ... as in he was driven to get that bird... he swam three hundred yards across a fast moving river to get a cripple and delivered it to hand.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keene View Post
    I currently have a 8 month-old BLF in training that's giving me mixed signals. While she's shown good prey (and retrieving) DRIVE up to this point, she's also shown me (to quote Ron White) that "she's got a lot of quit in her."

In the past, I've always associated DRIVE and DESIRE as the same animal...yet this pup is causing me to re-think my definitions of each. Personally, I'm beginning to see DRIVE simply as the chase-mechanism that most of our dogs posses, but in varying degrees. My definition of DESIRE would be a combination of qualities (specifically tenacity and perseverance). I believe DRIVE can be present without DESIRE, but DESIRE cannot be present without DRIVE.

While this may simply be a lesson in semantics, I still think it's a topic for good discussion. What say you?
    I would want to know why you say that about your dog. Are you using pressure or is she just giving you lack of effort?? Curious! Too much pressure incorrectly applied can change a dog's attitude. JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray