The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: When/how do you know when you have a superstar on your hands?

When at the end of the dogs hunting career you look back over the 12 years and realize you only lost 1 bird and that was the last week of the last season and she just didn't have the stamina to keep up with it. She actually look totally disgusted in herself that day. RIP Shadow 1989 - 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    And why do you think that is, Earl?
    Ted how about instead of carrying on a private conversation with Earl which has the impression of eliteism
    u detail for us your lightbulb moment when one of your high profile dogs really began to convince u that they were serious players and what traits do u see that u liked and at what age??? what qualities did u detect that seperated your best dogs from the pack? and at what age and stage of training?
    your posts are generally very insightful and your dogs are high profile
    just maybe u are one of the FEW and u would be gracious enough to share your observations
    it would be really nice and novel to be able to read a serious post on this topic I am sure the OP would appreciate it after all the drivel he has had to sift thru from morons chiming in and telling him their hunting buddy is a superstar just because it picked up a few ducks
    i have detailed my opinion based on my experiences in my country your opinion would be more relevant to the OP and could really help him
    how about it?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Ted how about instead of carrying on a private conversation with Earl which has the impression of eliteism
    u detail for us your lightbulb moment when one of your high profile dogs really began to convince u that they were serious players and what traits do u see that u liked and at what age??? what qualities did u detect that seperated your best dogs from the pack? and at what age and stage of training?
    your posts are generally very insightful and your dogs are high profile
    just maybe u are one of the FEW and u would be gracious enough to share your observations
    it would be really nice and novel to be able to read a serious post on this topic I am sure the OP would appreciate it after all the drivel he has had to sift thru from morons chiming in and telling him their hunting buddy is a superstar just because it picked up a few ducks
    i have detailed my opinion based on my experiences in my country your opinion would be more relevant to the OP and could really help him
    how about it?????????????
    Stoney, I agree with the first part of your post as it refers to elitism... However, some of us moron's may think the last half of your post is elitist itself. Sounds like you do great work with your dogs and attempt to answer posts seriously. But when you tell a moron his hunting dog is no superstar... Thats going a little too far.

Representing morons everywhere, yours truly
    Bill Davis

i am sorry Bill
    i didnt mean to be offensive
    i just got frustrated at the glib answers that the OP had to endure
    clearly he seemed to wont to read some honest and forthright answers and i felt that someone telling him their meat dog is a superstar and that all that matters is not in the spirit of the thread
    i try very hard not to be elitist my dogs do quite well in australia and i tried to give him an honest answer but the virtues needed to succeed in australia are different from what the OP would need
    he has a FC x FC breeding and seems keen and would like some serious input
    i hope i am reading this right!!!
    what about if ted was to share his experiences on this subject?????????? wouldnt that be great!
    he is articulate and has been successful in field trials plus he has had exposure to a lot of the higher profile dogs
    i for one would be interested in his opinion

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    i am sorry Bill
    i didnt mean to be offensive
    i just got frustrated at the glib answers that the OP had to endure
    clearly he seemed to wont to read some honest and forthright answers and i felt that someone telling him their meat dog is a superstar and that all that matters is not in the spirit of the thread
    i try very hard not to be elitist my dogs do quite well in australia and i tried to give him an honest answer but the virtues needed to succeed in australia are different from what the OP would need
    he has a FC x FC breeding and seems keen and would like some serious input
    i hope i am reading this right!!!
    what about if ted was to share his experiences on this subject?????????? wouldnt that be great!
    he is articulate and has been successful in field trials plus he has had exposure to a lot of the higher profile dogs
    i for one would be interested in his opinion
    Hey Stoney, no harm, no foul. I was using humor as I tend to do.

Be interesting to see where it goes...
    Bill Davis

I believe everyone's definition of superstar is different. My daughters love their chi's and they feel they are superstars, me I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for them, but they love them! I would define a superstar as one who is very consistent and always there at the end.

Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Super-stardom is in the eye of the beholder and all of our dogs are super to us. But for those who have developed (or watched the development of) a number of dogs, when did the really exceptional ones begin to emerge? Of the dogs we now think of as super-stars... did they show early potential, or did they just keep getting stronger and stronger?
    Aaron your definition is very clearly not the definition that the OP had in mind and is irrelevant to this thread
    Last edited by stoney; 07-17-2014 at 10:36 AM.

There are so many things that factor in , many folks that haven't judged all-age stakes in significant numbers judging dog after dog , many whom are great it is hard to describe. If you haven't played in the arena at a high level, FC/AFC , National level, same with hunt tests, it is hard to explain. Some simple examples are a dog with perhaps 170 all-age points, qualified for more then a few Nationals, but, never got past the fifth or sixth series at the National level. Other dogs not nearly that pointed have become NFC's . Which one is the superstar? National Derby champions who "barely" became titled dogs with the bare minimum points number. Dogs that were run by amateurs who won several opens and made a FC/AFC with the two open wins, but, never qualified at the National level. Dogs that have up to 30 starts a year vrs dogs that have 10 that qualify for a National every year. Young dogs that have won and placed in the Amateur or Open while still a derby dog, but, don't go on to do superstar things. Dogs that are double header winners, (in my opinion harder to do then finish a National) who never had derby point And were run in hunt tests with a MH after their name before a FC/AFC was in front of their name. Dogs that are purchased, have the best training known to retrieverdom that perhaps never run the dog , how did the dog get to that level? Dogs that are buried because of a lack of money, even though there is greatness there and never campaigned at the level that they should. I have had experience with some of the above and others on this Board have a ton of experience with all of it, now Stoney what was the question?
    Earl Dillow

When people ask you when you are going to breed him or her.... they want one just like him..
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

To the OP a fair question would be to do a PM or ask, Bill, Ted, Randy, Ed, and others what they first noticed with their National Caliber dogs that they thought showed promise, that way no one is going to be that arrogant to proclaim their dog a superstar )I don't think (lol) . Just a thought..might get better answers. That would also be more productive in getting what you are seeking.
    Earl Dillow