The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I make the switch or not?

Default Should I make the switch or not?

Sorry for another food question y'all, but looking through the search tool, I've read numerous threads with different information and opinions and just cannot nail down what I should do.

Here's my dilemma, I have a 5 month old black lab male that I am training to run in some hunt tests and be my hunting partner. I've had him since 7 weeks, and needless to say he is my best friend and I want to ensure that he is around for many years to come. Currently, I feed him 4 cups per day (two for breakfast, two for dinner) of TSC's 4Health Puppy Food. He has a great coat, he was 43 pounds last week when we got his adult shots at the vet last week, and he seems to have decent stools that are only occasionally a bit runny and most of that is probably my fault due to the taste of table food now and again.

The more I read, the more I realize how little 'health' knowledge I have when it comes to my pup. So here's my question, do I switch foods and if so to what? I feel like Eukanuba or Pro Plan puppy food are the favored brands and readily available most places. If I switch foods I want it to better my pup and not just to feed my pup a popular food. I do not want to increase chances of hip problems etc.

Sorry if I have gone in a circle with this question, I just cannot find an individual thread with the answer to my issues.

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry if I have asked a repeat.

I used this site a lot to determine health benefits of food. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

I had originally bought PPP for my pup, then I realized that it only got 3 stars and contained some ingredients I felt unnecessary after looking at the science.

I could not find any of the 5 star foods (that weren't $70) locally so I was between Fromms and Taste of the Wild. Taste of the Wild is what my breeder uses, fit my guidelines, and was available about 2 mins from my work.

You can use also http://www.chewy.com/ to get food shipped to your house and they have a very good selection. (and free shipping over $49)

Hope that helps. Oh, if you can get Victor Grain Free close to you, that would have been my first choice.

I am missing the why you feel the need to consider switching foods. He is five months, and you have him on a puppy food. Stools are normal except when you slip him table food.

What do you feel he is missing in his diet that he is not getting in his current kibble? energy off, bad coat, growing to fast?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

I was feeding some cheaper food from TSC as well for my pup. At 6 months old, I switched her to Victor Hi-Pro Plus (which is a 5 star rated food on dogfoodadvisor.com) and her stools were much better and she loved it more than the last food that I fed. It is priced great for a 5 star food, I pay $43.99.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Quote Originally Posted by wastinshells View Post
    I used this site a lot to determine health benefits of food. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

I had originally bought PPP for my pup, then I realized that it only got 3 stars and contained some ingredients I felt unnecessary after looking at the science.

I could not find any of the 5 star foods (that weren't $70) locally so I was between Fromms and Taste of the Wild. Taste of the Wild is what my breeder uses, fit my guidelines, and was available about 2 mins from my work.

You can use also http://www.chewy.com/ to get food shipped to your house and they have a very good selection. (and free shipping over $49)

Hope that helps. Oh, if you can get Victor Grain Free close to you, that would have been my first choice.
    Take that site with a boulder of salt. The guy writing the reviews is doing so purely based on the label. He's also a human dentist, not even a dietitian. If the food works for your dog now, stick with it. That food is a good quality food compared to a lot of stuff out there. There's no reason to shy away from grains, just don't feed the dog something with all grains up front.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

That dog food advisor site is interesting reading....but it is NOT based on any kind of science or studies. It's based on the personal opinions of the dentist...yes, I said dentist....that runs it. So do keep in mind that those rankings have no real basis in any kind of fact other than one person's personal opinion.

It's kinda like one person ranking pickup trucks and saying they like Fords and so Ford gets five stars, while GMC gets three, Dodge gets two and Toyota gets four.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

When you buy Pro Plan or Eukanuba you pay top dollar because of the amount spent on advertising. What that in return gives you are are poorer man made processed food. Food is fuel to keep your pup running strong, if you do not feed the absolute best you can afford you are asking a pup to do everything you ask, but with no help when it comes to what fuel you are giving him.

The big thing we all see are injuries, and quality protein sources get absorbed better and are utilized... to keep muscles strong and repair minor injures to tissue. Eukanuba and PP will not tell you how much of the protein is from meat. Why... it is down around 50 % with cheap plant protein making up the guaranteed protein. Foods like Dr. Tim's and Victor are over 80 %... that is a lot more meat protein being used. They are able to do that because of little or zero advertising budget.

Couch potato dogs can get by with less meat, but not hard working dogs... As far as Tractor Supply brands being acceptable or not... most are made by Diamond Pet... the most notorious pet food company ever and with tons of recalls. Beware.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kitzmand View Post
    I feel like Eukanuba or Pro Plan puppy food are the favored brands and readily available most places. If I switch foods I want it to better my pup and not just to feed my pup a popular food.
    One thing to keep in mind that with sites like Chewy.com the availability of a particular food in your area is much less of a concern. You could also go on and get a small bag or two of a food you are considering and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    Take that site with a boulder of salt. The guy writing the reviews is doing so purely based on the label. He's also a human dentist, not even a dietitian. If the food works for your dog now, stick with it. That food is a good quality food compared to a lot of stuff out there. There's no reason to shy away from grains, just don't feed the dog something with all grains up front.
    Your actually very wrong about the site... foods are ranked by amount of meat protein... he does a very credible job in doing so... it is simple math.

people who knock the Dog Food Advisor get upset that their food gets a three star based on meat content.. your right... everyone has opinions, but is a good way to compare dog food.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Since you always have a few that slam www.dogfoodadvisor.com, you can also check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com. I used both sites and spoke to the owner of my dog food specialty store as well as had a competing brand's rep give me the scoop about ingredients. From there, I switched from Science Diet to Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine (recommended by all of them), but you have lots of great choices available to you at various price points.
    Larry Lauck
    Treasurer
    Lone Star Hunting Retriever Club
    Dallas, Texas

Field Expert
    Sporting Dog Team
    Drake Waterfowl Products, Inc.

SHR Duchess Ellie of Highlands