The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I make the switch or not?

There are a lot of very good foods out there. However, if one really wants to feed our dogs what they would eat naturally, it would start with stomachs, intestines and their contents, internal organs, and would include feathers, feet, beaks, etc....also something we would be grossed out about ourselves. Both dog food rating sites have similar biases. They are good to compare contents.

I've been very happy with ProPlan, and all the dogs in my kennel have done very well on it. Not long ago, I had a client bring me three dogs. He did not want them on ProPlan Performance since it was, in his view, horrible, awful, terrible food that wasn't good for dogs to eat. He chose to supply his own, at his expense. I made a bet with him. I told him that I would put one dog on ProPlan and the other two on his feed (grain free, all natural, holistic, $70 a bag), and at the end of three months if the one that was on ProPlan, based on condition, fitness, coat, etc. wasn't in as good or better shape than the other two, I'd pick up the food cost for his pricey food. The end of the three months came, and the dog on ProPlan stood out pretty clearly from the other two....better in coat, condition, stool, etc. (and I did nothing different to that dog than to the other two--the only difference was food).

He switched the other two to ProPlan.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    Take that site with a boulder of salt. The guy writing the reviews is doing so purely based on the label. He's also a human dentist, not even a dietitian. If the food works for your dog now, stick with it. That food is a good quality food compared to a lot of stuff out there. There's no reason to shy away from grains, just don't feed the dog something with all grains up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    That dog food advisor site is interesting reading....but it is NOT based on any kind of science or studies. It's based on the personal opinions of the dentist...yes, I said dentist....that runs it. So do keep in mind that those rankings have no real basis in any kind of fact other than one person's personal opinion.

It's kinda like one person ranking pickup trucks and saying they like Fords and so Ford gets five stars, while GMC gets three, Dodge gets two and Toyota gets four.

Feel free to provide a better resource that includes a high variety of food. Seems to me they measure all the main things trainers look for in food as well as analyze ingredients from a nutritional standpoint as well as let the reader know of any "questionable" items in the food.
    Last edited by wastinshells; 07-11-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: speling

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Your actually very wrong about the site... foods are ranked by amount of meat protein... he does a very credible job in doing so... it is simple math.

people who knock the Dog Food Advisor get upset that their food gets a three star based on meat content.. your right... everyone has opinions, but is a good way to compare dog food.
    That site also reduces the rating of a food based on by product or vegetable in the label without regard to how that product is actually cooked. Not all corn on a label should be treated equally from one feed to another. Also when a true meat is noted as first ingredient, that site immediately assumes that the ingredient by weight is pre cooked weight. As an example, Pro Plan. They immediate discredit the first ingredient of chicken because it's stated as that. They assume it's not actually the first ingredient by weight when in fact an easy contact of Purina will show otherwise that chicken is still the first ingredient by weight after cooking. They also discredit the poultry by-product meal which to Purina's standards and requirements is quite high quality meal. I could go on.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Quote Originally Posted by wastinshells View Post
    Feel free to provide a better resource that includes a high variety of food. Seems to me they measure all the main things trainers look for in food as well as analyze ingredients from a nutritional standpoint as well as let the reader know of any "questionable" items in the food.
    Call the feed company's directly and ask them what is in their food. Read my previous post as not all things are equal when comparing a word on a food label from one feed to another. Again, the guy is a dentist.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Both sites are interesting to utilize as comparisons between ingredients, but they are not always accurate. Again, personal biases come into play rather than fact. If they simply compared ingredients (and were 100% accurate) without giving their star ratings, I wouldn't have any complaints. But their rankings are based on personal biases, NOT on science, so the rankings have very little to do with what food a dog will do best on. Have they had a sample of every single food they rank analyzed? If not, their claims are not accurate.

I'm pretty sure that if feeding a different food would help their dogs perform better/be in better condition, you wouldn't see so many National finalists on ProPlan.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Thanks for all of the responses, I think I am more unsure of what to do now than before! Ha! The main reason I was considering switching was from reading reviews throughout this site about what were good dog/puppy food brands and what weren't, 4health reviews seemed to be on the fence. I too read the dreaded dogfoodadvisor.com and a friend of mine said 4Health was a 4 star food that was affordable and available at any TSC. My pup is doing fine on the food from what I can tell, he is smart, he likes to chew, he likes to sleep, he likes to swim, he likes to run. As far as I've ever known, puppies spend a good deal of their time napping; Case sleeps when we are inside the house but is amped when we are out doing something outside. Normal? Anyways, I don't want to be switching foods constantly, instead my hope is to find a good brand to stick too...it may be 4health?.... The biggest thing I am trying to do is not make any mistakes that could affect my pup in the long run. If 4health is good than I'll stick with it, if I should be on PPP I'll do that, the same with TOTW and Victor. I just want to feed my dog a good healthy meal so he can physically in the best shape possible.

Sure is a shame us people can't just choose one brand of food, 4 cups a day, and be healthly lean machines eh?

Thanks for all the responses y'all!
    A Case of the Memphis Blues - Case

Quote Originally Posted by kitzmand View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses, I think I am more unsure of what to do now than before! Ha! The main reason I was considering switching was from reading reviews throughout this site about what were good dog/puppy food brands and what weren't, 4health reviews seemed to be on the fence. I too read the dreaded dogfoodadvisor.com and a friend of mine said 4Health was a 4 star food that was affordable and available at any TSC. My pup is doing fine on the food from what I can tell, he is smart, he likes to chew, he likes to sleep, he likes to swim, he likes to run. As far as I've ever known, puppies spend a good deal of their time napping; Case sleeps when we are inside the house but is amped when we are out doing something outside. Normal? Anyways, I don't want to be switching foods constantly, instead my hope is to find a good brand to stick too...it may be 4health?.... The biggest thing I am trying to do is not make any mistakes that could affect my pup in the long run. If 4health is good than I'll stick with it, if I should be on PPP I'll do that, the same with TOTW and Victor. I just want to feed my dog a good healthy meal so he can physically in the best shape possible.

Sure is a shame us people can't just choose one brand of food, 4 cups a day, and be healthly lean machines eh?

All I am going to add is good luck in your search, I am not wanting to add anymore confusion to whats already been thrown out there. Everyone has an opinion on whats best or wanting the best for their buddies, including myself. Again, good luck in your search there are many high quality foods out there on the market nowadays that would do just fine by you and your up and coming new family member.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzmand View Post

I'll confuse you further, look at Dr Tim's. He has a banner at the top of this site. I recently switched all my dogs to it from a quality and affordability standpoint. I have a 3 1/2 month old BLM on his pursuit formula. Nice coat, plenty of energy (perhaps to much LOL), good stools.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    I'll confuse you further, look at Dr Tim's. He has a banner at the top of this site. I recently switched all my dogs to it from a quality and affordability standpoint. I have a 3 1/2 month old BLM on his pursuit formula. Nice coat, plenty of energy (perhaps to much LOL), good stools.

I made that switch as well and couldn't be happier with the results.

Thanks for all of the responses y'all! I will look into Dr. Tim's, is it available readily at a lot of places or is it hard to find?
    A Case of the Memphis Blues - Case