The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two sided heeling

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Not that I'm all that but I did some lining drills a few years ago and found out my dog and I were off to the left by about 5 yards pretty consistently at 30 yards distance when I ran him from my right side. Instead of trying to compensate, I just quit running him on my right. Never hurt a thing and I'm pretty sure it improved our efficiency.
    You must be left eye dominant.

Just completed a three day seminar with Pat Burns and Kenny Trott. When asked about the importance of being able to handle a dog on both sides, Pat said that the skill was not one of his top ten handling skills.
    Last edited by Ted Shih; 07-13-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

This 2 sided heeling thing! Most of us write, throw , shoot and so on from one side, very few of us are skilled equally on left and right. Yet we think we can teach ourselves and a dog both sides. Yet my dogs work on both sides. Yep I know its confusing and add to all this - could the dogs be more comfortable on my side or the other.
    I have heard Pat say the same thing about 2 sided work
    Dk

Can I get some advice on training for 2-sided heeling? My retriever is solid on heeling on my left side, I just have never considered adding 2-sided.
    (Magnus is 18 months old and has been left-side heeling reliably for over a year)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    being one-sided doesn't seem to model well with why many skilled basketball players can shoot and dribble equally well from either side.

Most "skilled" basketball players spend most of their lives being able to dribble effectively on both sides. I asked Burns what percentage of the two sided Amateur handlers that he saw were effective at two sides
    His response: 10%
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Woody Hayes, Legendary coach at Ohio State, felt much the same about the forward pass. As did many of his contemporaries... Imagine football without the forward pass. If the quarterback can't proficiently throw the pass, he shouldn't do it.

If a handler can't proficiently handle from both sides, maybe they need to practice more... Or stick to one side. But, seems to be a lot of group think going on.

Lots of guys for a lot of years have had success one sided. Quite a few have had success two sided. More than one way to skin a cat...er, retrieve a bird.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

Most "skilled" basketball players spend most of their lives being able to dribble effectively on both sides. I asked Burns what percentage of the two sided Amateur handlers that he saw were effective at two sides
    His response: 10%

Interesting. Knowing Pat, I would be that one of his most important handler skills would be simply knowing where the dog is pointed and if running two sided only gets a 10% he would probably give that pretty much less than 1%.

I have two sided dogs and one that is only left sided. I don't see what the big deal is. Teach the dog both side as a pup, start training with it early, even on puppy marks before they know the difference and keep on and it becomes pretty much second nature with dog and handler.

I am not a great handler but I come out of the holding blind with the dog on the side I want and bring them to the side I want on subsequent birds as they return with the previous mark. I really don't even have to think about it--I probably have to think about it more with the left sided only dog.

Now where I can sometimes get in trouble is if I start thinking about doing it differently than we would in training--I probably guess wrong 100% of the time. But even then, I could just as easily always run the way we would run in training as I could always run off one side.

To me it is sometimes useful, never difficult and not hard to train when you teach them young, so what is the downside? I doubt that I would worry about it with an older dog but I can't think of any reason not to have a two sided dog.

For sure, though, if the handler has a preference, stick to that. IMO it is far better that the handler be comfortable and thinking about things more important than which side the dog is on.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    If the inability to heel your dog on the opposite side is your only impediment to perfection you have little to worry about. For a little perspective a significant percentage of Finalists in the recent National Amateur Retriever Championship are one side only, at least six that I have personal knowledge of including the winner.
    It would be interesting to know the % breakdown of National winners.

It's an advantage if you do it well and you and the dog are comfortable with it. Having said that, I wouldn't go back and teach it to an older dog. In response to Mr. Littlejohn, I'm sure the national win percentages heavily favor left sided dogs because a lot more dogs run from the left side only. Mr. Lardy has had some success in nationals running them from both sides. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Not that I'm all that but I did some lining drills a few years ago and found out my dog and I were off to the left by about 5 yards pretty consistently at 30 yards distance when I ran him from my right side. Instead of trying to compensate, I just quit running him on my right. Never hurt a thing and I'm pretty sure it improved our efficiency.
    This it's the same for all dogs, The human is eye dominate for a certain side , thus when running a dog from the other the correct angle will look wrong; and you'll have to adjust for it to get the correct line. I'm Left Eye dominate, so it was a chore to get the dog to run a correct line from the right side, my left eye kept telling me I was wrong. As with anything practice and you figure out where the dog needs to be on each side, prior to send. Much the same with left eye dominate/right handed shooting, although I choose to block the left eye out on that; that Eye Lies at the most inopportune times .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-14-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)