The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Question.

Default Breeding Question.

I'm looking to breed my yellow bitch in the spring of next year and I have found a stud that I'm interested in. He's yellow and her sire and dam are yellow as well. I have a friend who is a trainer and it is his opinion that I should stay away from a yellow stud. He seems to think that breeding her to a yellow is too many yellows and I'd basically be dumbing(SP?) down the offspring. Is there any truth to this? Any opinion is welcome.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

NO truth what so ever as long as you are not breeding to a "dumb" stud dog. The only thing that you may run into is the pigment may not be as dark on the nose (may get "snow nose" at an early age) and lips.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

IMO breeding for a particular color or choosing a particular stud based on color is the wrong way to go about it. You choose the stud that best balances your bitch, weaknesses and strengths. If the best match for your yellow happens to be yellow-black or purple, you should still end up with nice pups, because your focus is on the whole animal and not a single gene. Now the theory about yellow to yellow or brown to brown, which still comes up. Revolves around the fact that historically, performance dogs selected for black and initially there were very few exceptional yellow or browns, to breed to, so if people choose to breed for certain colors, they'd have to pull from dogs with questionable backgrounds, without strong performance lines; or highly inbred dogs; so you could end-up with interesting pups. Over the years; Breeders have done a very good job in expanding the gene pools of other colors by breeding back and forth to dogs with strong performance backgrounds, so it's not as great a concern. I wouldn't worry about breeding yellow-yellow, if the lines mesh, have been shown to produce talented offspring, and it's done with the correct reasons behind it. Aside from the one serious disadvantage...How are you ever gonna get any Black pups? .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-13-2014 at 12:33 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Breed for the characteristics YOU want in a pup.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't think there's anything wrong with breeding for color as long as it's not your top priority. For example in the OP's case, suppose he found 3 suitable dogs that suited his female well in terms of style, drive, conformation and clearances. In that case there's nothing wrong with picking one based on color. Maybe it was true in days past that yellow and chocolate dogs weren't as talented as black ones, but that's no longer true.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Nope. Old school thinking. Find the best dog that matches your girl and use him. If it happens to be yellow, and pigment is an issue or you are worried about chocolate, color test.

I knowingly bred a pure yellow to a pure chocolate because he was the best dog for her. I also knew they were pure as they were color tested.

This thinking is along the same lines as all chocolates are wild or all field dogs are hyper.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    ....I knowingly bred a pure yellow to a pure chocolate because he was the best dog for her. I also knew they were pure as they were color tested.....
    What is a "pure" yellow or chocolate?
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Guessing they mean no hidden colors.
    ~Cortney Bally~

Home of:
    HRCH Fairwinds Bayou Boogie Woogie WCX MH *** (10/05)
    HRCH Elm Creek's' Koa WCX MH (07/07)
    HRCH Nebo's Uptown Girl MH *** (04/08)
    HR Bally's What Else But Hunt WCX SH *** (11/09)
    HR Bally's What Happens In Vegas WC SH *** (02/10)
    HRCH Bally's Swinging For The Fence SH *** (08/10)
    HRCH Bally's Best Blonde Joke JH (03/12)

Pure yellow means doesn't carry chocolate. Pure chocolate means doesn't carry yellow. The only possible color from that breeding is Black. All pups will carry all three colors.

See here:

http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

This type of breeding (yellow to chocolate) would have been (and still is in some circles), frowned upon. Color is SO easy to manage, I could care less about it unless there is a potential to produce no pigment and then I don't go there. There are so many other things to worry about!

Sue
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Sue, it may be easy for you to manage, but when those pups go to their new owners, they will have no concept of color genes. There is a breeder here who cranks out dudleys on a regular basis.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson