The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grady Pups

Default Grady Pups

While not trying to start and argument. Lets ask the questions what does everyone think of all the Grady pups. Are they what everyone thinks they are or is everyone breeding to him because it is the "Cool Stud" ? I have talked to some people that have had Grady pups and they say they are a pain to train hard headed and such. Are we doing the sport a favor by using him in almost every litter at this point. look at the pedigrees of today and you will see that 2 or 3 stud dogs tend to dominate all breeding and at some point in the last three generations. Are we setting ourselves up for failure?
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

Good topic. I hope you get some input/feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    While not trying to start and argument. Lets ask the questions what does everyone think of all the Grady pups. Are they what everyone thinks they are or is everyone breeding to him because it is the "Cool Stud" ? I have talked to some people that have had Grady pups and they say they are a pain to train hard headed and such. Are we doing the sport a favor by using him in almost every litter at this point. look at the pedigrees of today and you will see that 2 or 3 stud dogs tend to dominate all breeding and at some point in the last three generations. Are we setting ourselves up for failure?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

I just looked at the first page of the lab litters advertised on this forum and only saw two Grady litters. I admit that he's been bred a ton, but that's the way it works in field labs. Popular stud syndrome is alive and well. But there are lots of other studs being bred, as well. Since he has been bred so much to so many different bitches, I don't think you are going to be able to say, "Grady pups are...." about anything. There's going to be lots of variability based on the dam side of the pedigree. I've only trained a handful of Grady pups, all from the same litter, and they were pretty nice dogs. Nothing "hard-headed" that I saw in those pups. I'm sure that there are Grady pups out there that are difficult to train. There are also Grady pups out there that have been VERY successful in field trials and hunt tests. I suspect that some of those were very easy to train.
    But I sure don't think that we are "using him in almost every litter at this point". One man's opinion.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Is your question about Grady specifically or more general on the principle of line breeding using Grady only as the more recent example?

I have talked to some people that have had Grady pups and they say they are a pain to train hard headed and such.
    I have a grady pup and know a bunch of them. This has not been my experience. I think if it were the case, there would be far fewer breedings and definitely way fewer repeat breedings.

Your premise and passing along hearsay is not fair to the sire or the connections of the Sire..maybe the Dam's werent a good combination..The people that chose to use him as a sire probably had a multitude of reasons, including being able to sell the litter based on Grady's popularity...What will help cement him as an all time great stud will be when his progeny wins (which they already have in Traveler) and when his offspring produce champions, similar to the Lean Mac>Chavez dynamic..

Its still way too early to measure the success of Grady as a Sire, lets wait a few years and see how his early crop pans out before any judgements are passed...

Its just like I tell people when the conversation goes to a dog like Cosmo..sometimes his on line internet reputation far exceeds reality and when certain myths about a dog get passed around like its common knowledge it makes me cringe and also makes me shake my head in disgust of how people will pass along gossip about a dog that they couldnt pick out in a lineup let alone an unmarked picture
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Are they what everyone thinks they are or is everyone breeding to him because it is the "Cool Stud" ? I have talked to some people that have had Grady pups and they say they are a pain to train hard headed and such.
    I can't speak for everybody, but I can speak for myself. I own a Grady dog, hands down the best dog I have ever owned!! Was/ is not hard headed, easy to train, good attitude, nice in the house. Took a little while to mature, but did. The dog's talent far out weighs my training and handling talent, his biggest downfall. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

The sire is only half of the equation of a pup. To ​base how a pup turns out is only half right. Picking a pup is a crap shoot in any litter.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

I have one and she is calm and easy going, very smart and runs like a deer. I had another one that was wild and a little crazy. So two totally different dogs how can anyone say it was Grady and not the dams? He has sired a NAFC and at least one FC that I have trained with not to mention all of the derby dogs that have won or placed. They must not be to hard headed.