The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grady Pups

If anyone has a Grady pup they don't want I'll take him.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    I second that for sure.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    The sire is only half of the equation of a pup. To ​base how a pup turns out is only half right. Picking a pup is a crap shoot in any litter.
    BINGO!

I would go one step further and say that the sire is only 1/3 of the equation.

I own a Grady pup and she's hands down the most talented dog I've ever owned, but I knew the bitch and the bitch was a very talented bitch. My pup is a very hard driver, great marker and very tractable.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Sires are typically viewed historically by the best individuals they produce not the worst. In almost every litter with exceptional individuals there were also probably marginal to worthless individuals. There are a few exceptions but not many.

I have a Grady daughter. Shes got more personality than almost any dog Ive ever had(except for my first dog Spooky). Stubborn and hard headed, she is not. Very willing and a tad sensitive . I love her. She did not pass OFA but I would probably take another Grady pup if I had the oppurtunity.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Sires are typically viewed historically by the best individuals they produce not the worst. In almost every litter with exceptional individuals there were also probably marginal to worthless individuals. There are a few exceptions but not many.
    Dr. Ed is right. In a litter you are going to get good to marginal pups. How "good" that good pup becomes depends on where that pups goes -- what his owner does with the pup, who trains the pup, and the ability of the trainer. A marginal pup can become a good pup if he/she ends up with an exceptional trainer who can get the most out of the pup.

This is true no matter who the sire is.

Keep in mind, the bitch brings herself and what's behind her to the table. Sometimes even the greatest bitch (and her pedigree) does not nick with the sire. There are no guarantees.

Helen
    Last edited by helencalif; 07-13-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    i have a very nice one in the "started dog" classified section now! you and steve should call me!
    john mccallie

I have a Grady pup at my house that I'm training as a gundog for a friend that is anything but "hard-headed". Very biddable and eager to please and an excellent marker. His only flaw is laziness which is why he was washed out. I still really like him as a dog though and wouldn't be against another one.
    Last edited by Kajun Kamakazi; 07-13-2014 at 03:21 PM.

I lucked into/happened to get a Grady washout,didnt know who Grady was, thought he hung out with Fred Sanford, if he had someone other than myself training him he would be soooo much better, but that said he is the best dog I have ever had as a hunter or pet. Not hard headed, easy in the house and a pleasure

Seriously?????????
    You expect some one with credibility to come on a public forum that is not closely censored or controlled and say that he / she has a NFC sired pup and it is not any good?
    That is like the ones that ask about trainer XYZ, "Is he any good"? What do you expect? Someone to publicly post that the trainer sucks?
    Got to be kidding me.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.