The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grady Pups

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Seriously?????????
    You expect some one with credibility to come on a public forum that is not closely censored or controlled and say that he / she has a NAFC sired pup and it is not any good?
    That is like the ones that ask about trainer XYZ, "Is he any good"? What do you expect? Someone to publicly post that the trainer sucks?
    Got to be kidding me.
    MP
    Fixed it for ya.

You're right though. There's not going to be a lot of negative things put on here. The OP should have asked for pms about the negatives or other opinions. Some things you'll never hear about on public forums and keep them that way to those who are privy to the subject.

Sure, why not? After all it is a public forum correct? Take the good with the bad or go grow some thicker skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Seriously?????????
    You expect some one with credibility to come on a public forum that is not closely censored or controlled and say that he / she has a NFC sired pup and it is not any good?
    That is like the ones that ask about trainer XYZ, "Is he any good"? What do you expect? Someone to publicly post that the trainer sucks?
    Got to be kidding me.
    MP
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

My first Grady dog is the one of the smartest , most willing dogs I have ever met or trained , of all breeds. ( thousands of dogs in my 25 yr career in dogs) I just bought a sister of the repeat breeding
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

We had a Grady litter that turned two this past January. All 7 went to competitive homes (we kept one). To date, have derby finishes and placement, qual placements and one qaa, seasoned titles and running finished, senior titles and about to run masters. A little tougher to get through the yard, but that could be from bitch side too. Some of the smartest dogs we have ever trained (we trained four of the seven). Only one that didn't make the cut was the one we kept for ourselves, she may have with more time to mature, but we didn't wait and see found her a nice family hunting home where she's happy! Would I repeat the breeding, ABSOLUTELY!
    ~Cortney Bally~

Home of:
    HRCH Fairwinds Bayou Boogie Woogie WCX MH *** (10/05)
    HRCH Elm Creek's' Koa WCX MH (07/07)
    HRCH Nebo's Uptown Girl MH *** (04/08)
    HR Bally's What Else But Hunt WCX SH *** (11/09)
    HR Bally's What Happens In Vegas WC SH *** (02/10)
    HRCH Bally's Swinging For The Fence SH *** (08/10)
    HRCH Bally's Best Blonde Joke JH (03/12)

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    While not trying to start and argument. Lets ask the questions what does everyone think of all the Grady pups. Are they what everyone thinks they are or is everyone breeding to him because it is the "Cool Stud" ? I have talked to some people that have had Grady pups and they say they are a pain to train hard headed and such. Are we doing the sport a favor by using him in almost every litter at this point. look at the pedigrees of today and you will see that 2 or 3 stud dogs tend to dominate all breeding and at some point in the last three generations. Are we setting ourselves up for failure?
    Hmmmm....interesting question / comment. To think that people would purchase a Grady pup because he is a " cool stud" strikes me as a little nearsighted. A better reason might be because he is a proven producer.
    My 2 1/2 yr. Grady male pup earned his Can AFC in June and has collected 11 all-age points this year. He was also hightg point Can Jr. (Derby) last year along with 18 Qual Points. He's a pretty good dog. 100% amateur trained, albeit with some very good advice from seasoned trainers.
    His dam is an impressive fully titled Chopper bitch and I believe the combo of the 2 parents have created a little powerhouse in my young dog.

So in my case, yes, we are doing the sport a favour and I don't think we are setting ourselves up for failure.
    Deb
    Shekko Raven Of Brunlea SH "Raven" 1999-2011 forever loved & never forgotten
    Heads Up General Montgomery MH QAA "Monty" 2002-
    Can FC AFC Maralan's Kids Wanna Rock "Rocky" 2006-
    High Point Open / All-Age 2013
    Wynflat's Dark Side Of The Moon "Floyd" 2011
    High Point Junior 2013 and Can AFC @ 2.5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Labs a mundo View Post
    Hmmmm....interesting question / comment. To think that people would purchase a Grady pup because he is a " cool stud" strikes me as a little nearsighted. A better reason might be because he is a proven producer.
    My 2 1/2 yr. Grady male pup earned his Can AFC in June and has collected 11 all-age points this year. He was also hightg point Can Jr. (Derby) last year along with 18 Qual Points. He's a pretty good dog. 100% amateur trained, albeit with some very good advice from seasoned trainers.
    His dam is an impressive fully titled Chopper bitch and I believe the combo of the 2 parents have created a little powerhouse in my young dog.

So in my case, yes, we are doing the sport a favour and I don't think we are setting ourselves up for failure.
    I'm looking for the "APPLAUSE" icon but cannot find it. Oh well. To the OP, your post is disrespectful and unwarranted or you have some questionable sources. Other than that, I have a really nice female that had a litter by Cosmo and had a litter by Grady. Both litters were nice. Did I say how much I liked my female? Anyway if I had had to choose, I personally liked the pups from the Grady litter better but that's only the start. So be it.

Mundo, ma'am, I agree with ya. Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Just my experience but I like the Grady girls, I've seen several girls from 2-3 different litters/different dams, they are all great markers, tractable, intelligent, pick up things very quickly with style, sometimes a bit to much steam to over-run their brains but when your talking 1yr old dogs finishing up transition work; that's to be expected. The boys I've seen, are much slower to mature, they have drive, can mark, but they seem softer, and they don't pick up things as fast as the females from the same litters. This might come across as being hard-headed, if your trying to push a young male to keep up with litter mates, but I think it's a lack of maturity more than anything else. The boys have turned out a lot bigger than the girls, maybe that's why they take more aging. A friend of mine has an older Grady boy (~2.5+ yrs), he's come around and caught up with his siblings, some dogs just need more time, before things click. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to find a Grady dog, but if he was paired to the right Bitch, I wouldn't say NO .

On the mass breeding to the stud of the month, it'll be fine for the first generation, the 2nd &3rd is where the issues might pop-up. We'll get more and more line-breeding, and we'll see recessives come out. Such has already happened with earlier mass used stud dogs. Now what the results of those recessives will be (more talent, a quirk or a genetic problem is a toss up). My theory is we'll see more of Grady himself in the 2nd & 3rd generation, particularly the males out of female Grady pups as Grady's X chromosome will once more be available to the males. I seem to like the impact of his X chromosome, in most of his litters I'm familiar, with so I might be looking at those offspring.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-14-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

John, I would do that if my HVAC man had not just replaced my entire system. Took all my dadgum fun money for the time being. And we are still not finished.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i have a very nice one in the "started dog" classified section now! you and steve should call me!
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

I think Chad Baker knows of at least one Grady pup that did OK. Maybe I'm "up a creek" on that one.
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

My Grady male is one of the best dogs I've ever owned. He got his SH this spring and was very easy to train. My only concern is he is deceptively fast runner that I have to be careful when running him. To date he has sired three litters for me. The last two were 9 pups and 10 pups, currently for sale on RTN ( shameless plug ). I have absloutely no complaints with this dog out of Grady. Same goes for two of the people in my training group who have Grady pups.
    Last edited by fishin444; 07-14-2014 at 01:30 PM.