The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grady Pups

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    So Grady is great we have established that the real questions is if everyone and there brother breeds to him what do we have, a bunch of grady pups and in 3 or 4 generations where are we when those little resessive genes start showing up. I think most people breed to Grady simply because he is the flavor of the month. They don't take into account what he is or isn't bringing to the table and the same can be said for other sire's as well. It is my whole hearted belief that we are setting ourselves and this sport up for failure if we continue this flavor of the month breeding program. And I am not just singling out Grady. There are other Flavors out there. Grady just happens to be the flavor that is In style.
    I'm thinking you don't plan on breeding to Grady?
    Bill Davis

Chad, I hope you're sitting back having a big old chuckle
    Deb
    Shekko Raven Of Brunlea SH "Raven" 1999-2011 forever loved & never forgotten
    Heads Up General Montgomery MH QAA "Monty" 2002-
    Can FC AFC Maralan's Kids Wanna Rock "Rocky" 2006-
    High Point Open / All-Age 2013
    Wynflat's Dark Side Of The Moon "Floyd" 2011
    High Point Junior 2013 and Can AFC @ 2.5 years

Has Grady ever been bred to anything less than a Master titled bitch?
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

I'm very disappointed in my Grady pup. He's now roughly 2 1/2 and finished his Derby career with 18 points (limited trials) and ONLY had one win (bad dog). QAA at 26 months with a 2nd (terrible). About a month later a 1st in the Q and then approx one month after that another 1st.

What was he thinking? He can't run the Q anymore. I think he got those two blues so he didn't have to run anymore trials (lazy, hard headed dog). Little does he know what's coming very soon.

Would I have another Grady pup? Hell no! Grady sucks

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    Has Grady ever been bred to anything less than a Master titled bitch?
    Yes. I bred my untitled bitch to him to get a pup for myself. She was a cute little pup we called Stella. Now we call her GRHRCH "Stella" MNH QAA.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Lets take Grady out of the equation so we dont make it personal, even though it seems that you have an axe to grind...

One of the considerations when choosing a stud dog for your female is that you have to find a stud that will help sell your litter,the ideal stud may be the exact fit you want if you were picking a mate for a single pup, but that dog may be a lightly campaigned dog, or one that is deceased, or maybe even untitled..BUT if that dog cant help sell your litter you are stuck

As for being the flavor of the month, not in this particular case..Grady may very well end up being the Lean Mac of this decade...if he continues to produce winners and the litters that he sires sell, the market will dictate his continued popularity

Even at Baskin Robbins or Blue Bell, the flavor of the month becomes a classic and is sold year round
    I don't think it's about grinding anything. The problem is if you hear nothing but great things, you get an unrealistic view of things. I'm not saying anything bad, it's just something that needs to be said. I'm not sure about an official way to find out, but IMO, it's safe to say he's been bred to more titled bitches than the other breedings combined. I'd probably guess that it's at a fairly significant rate, too. Is Grady a very nice dog and has he had pups that do well?? That's an obvious yes. The original OP is asking something that a lot of people talk about in person, but won't do so on here. I'm not taking anything away from the dog or what he has produced, but when you have titled bitches in the equation that are sure enough fine dogs in their own right, it makes it a little easier. Do I think we do a disservice by breeding to him so much? No. Do I believe other dogs should get more breedings? You bet.

I had a Grady pup; I liked him a lot ... I lost him to cancer at 3 1/2 yo. If I could do it all over again I would... And I would have sunk way more money into training AND vet bills... Even if the result was the same....

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Well I guess that worked out pretty successfully that's for sure! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by TIM DOANE View Post
    Yes. I bred my untitled bitch to him to get a pup for myself. She was a cute little pup we called Stella. Now we call her GRHRCH "Stella" MNH QAA.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Love mine, not hard headed at all and trained in textbook fashion. Dad has one too that he bought as a started dog and he's wonderful.

I practically begged my trainer to breed one of his dogs to Grady for 3 years. Finally talked him into doing it almost 3yrs ago. I have a pup from that litter and my trainer kept 2 of them for himself. My pup passed his 1st MH test at 16 months and titled at 18 months. I couldn't be any happier with my Grady dog and wouldn't trade him or get rid of him period. Flavor of the Month! Don't quite think that statement is going to pan out.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012