The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 107

Thread: Grady Pups

  1. #61
    Senior Member cakaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    N Al.
    Posts
    1,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    What is the title of your "thesis"?
    " How To Pot Stir On The Internet."
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

  2. #62
    Senior Member Wade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Meanwhile, has damage been done to a wonderful dog's reputation and that of his owner? I have a dog that I think the world of that has bad hip xrays, yet out of parents that are excellent and good. Shit happens sometimes. To the op, shame on you and your disregard of others.
    Meanwhile I would suspect, to answer your first question, the answer would be NO. How could damage be done when everyone seems to think the world of their Grady pups? Did you read any false negative responses? I didn't think so.

    Why should the OP feel shame for asking an honest question?

    It goes both ways, it can't always be rosey. Obviously reading this thread there are lots of people who would buy another Grady puppy in a heart beat. At the same time I hear people say they don't want to see another Grady litter. Who cares?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

  3. #63
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    8,011

    Default

    Wade, you say it in your own sig line. It was horribly rude to single out one dog for this rant. New people come on this site every single day. What if this is their first introduction to this dog? I don't think there is anything "honest" about the OP's question. He started to cause trouble, and if we play his game, we get it. Personally, I have never bought a dog from the "top" sire. I look a little deeper. So no axe to grind. I just thought it was an awful thing to do. Sorry.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  4. #64
    Senior Member FOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    I think alot of this has to do with the number of puppy's on the ground

    Sire # 1 has sired 10 litters= 80 puppys

    Sire # 2 has sired 100 litters= 800 puppys

    Sire # 2 is most likely going to have more success derby list , QAA MH ect. but he is also going to have more issues health wise as well with his offspring..
    Yes true, the odds are funny like that. But do we overlook that?

    And if a person is gonna put their dog out as a stud, they should be prepared for some concerns to be aired, especially a popular sire.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

    Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

  5. #65
    Senior Member Erin O'Brien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Really? I counted the amount of dogs that have failed or had a blank hips, 93% had fair or better. I don't think that's a bad ratio when I didn't go back and look at the dams and their pedigrees. I know not all of them will be on there, but I'd say most that were done are because I counted the blanks (where they didn't list it), and most dogs get elbows done at the same time. He's a good sire, and discounting him because a few out of a ton, have bad hips when there's other factors, ie the dam and upbringing, is a travesty.
    Last edited by Erin O'Brien; 07-16-2014 at 01:57 AM.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Wade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Yes true, the odds are funny like that. But do we overlook that?

    And if a person is gonna put their dog out as a stud, they should be prepared for some concerns to be aired, especially a popular sire.
    100% in agreement!!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

  7. #67
    Senior Member cakaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    N Al.
    Posts
    1,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Yes true, the odds are funny like that. But do we overlook that?

    And if a person is gonna put their dog out as a stud, they should be prepared for some concerns to be aired, especially a popular sire.
    What concerns? Are you saying, Grady produces more bad hips/elbows, than the statistical norm?
    What facts do you have to back up your "concerns"??
    Other than gossip, hearsay and innuendo?
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

  8. #68
    Senior Member Erin O'Brien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    What concerns? Are you saying, Grady produces more bad hips/elbows, than the statistical norm?
    What facts do you have to back up your "concerns"??
    Other than gossip, hearsay and innuendo?
    According to OFA, his puppies have a lower incidence than all labs for hip dysplasia. The all time data says around 12% of labs tested by them have bad hips.

  9. #69
    Senior Member FOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    What concerns? Are you saying, Grady produces more bad hips/elbows, than the statistical norm?
    What facts do you have to back up your "concerns"??
    Other than gossip, hearsay and innuendo?
    Whoa, my comment was in general for any stud owner...not specifically Grady. And any dog that is popular is going to produce concerns...in general everything good is credited to the bitch, while everything bad is associated with the sire...I don't know why that is, so stud owners have to take everything with a grain of salt.

    Don't read more into my posts than what is there.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

    Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

  10. #70
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    3,671

    Default

    Some good points have been made here. There are a lot of Grady-sired pups around. Grady was bred before he was NAFC and I don't believe he continued to bred only because of that "N". Yes, he's been a popular boy, and for good reason. Stud de jours come and go as time tells what their offspring do, FT people don't keep breeding to a dog that doesn't produce. Marketing sells pups for others, some place a huge emphasis on a Nat/Nat Am champ title, but overall, the real FT people look at consistency, production and what kind of dog they like to own, train and run. Grady has heart, talent, brains and a wonderful temperament. I've had four of his pups and see a bunch of others. I've seen nothing yet that proves Grady is throwing a higher than average incidence of OFA issues. I breed. I have to take into account what's going to hit me in the wallet down the road and have to make decisions based upon that, not just what I myself am going to end up with, but what I might have to replace in future litters. I have a Grady daughter and a Grady son. Both lovely dogs in temperament, easy to live with, other than the male will take your knee out with his happy tail. Smart, easy to train. Are they going to be FC AFC? Not likely, in my world. But, they are nice working dogs and easy for a handler like me, and give it their all, no crappy attitudes, no vocal issues, not breaking crazy-butt a-holes. I've had several of those from some of the "top sires", they might have had all the health clearances, but, I didn't keep them, I think THAT is the type of Labrador that does a breed the disservice. Grady isn't perfect, no dog is. But, I don't think he's ruining the breed. Which is a ridiculous premise by some pretty jealous sounding people. I remember when I first got into field Labs, how the gossip was about Lean Mac ruining the breed. Some still maintain that. I think time has kinda disproved that gossip. Don't have to like Maxx or Grady, but danged if you can't respect a dog's record. Worried about ruining the breed? I can think of a billion other things to lose sleep over.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •