Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Grady Pups

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    What is the title of your "thesis"?
    " How To Pot Stir On The Internet."
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Meanwhile, has damage been done to a wonderful dog's reputation and that of his owner? I have a dog that I think the world of that has bad hip xrays, yet out of parents that are excellent and good. Shit happens sometimes. To the op, shame on you and your disregard of others.
    Meanwhile I would suspect, to answer your first question, the answer would be NO. How could damage be done when everyone seems to think the world of their Grady pups? Did you read any false negative responses? I didn't think so.

Why should the OP feel shame for asking an honest question?

It goes both ways, it can't always be rosey. Obviously reading this thread there are lots of people who would buy another Grady puppy in a heart beat. At the same time I hear people say they don't want to see another Grady litter. Who cares?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Wade, you say it in your own sig line. It was horribly rude to single out one dog for this rant. New people come on this site every single day. What if this is their first introduction to this dog? I don't think there is anything "honest" about the OP's question. He started to cause trouble, and if we play his game, we get it. Personally, I have never bought a dog from the "top" sire. I look a little deeper. So no axe to grind. I just thought it was an awful thing to do. Sorry.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    I think alot of this has to do with the number of puppy's on the ground

Sire # 1 has sired 10 litters= 80 puppys

Sire # 2 has sired 100 litters= 800 puppys

Sire # 2 is most likely going to have more success derby list , QAA MH ect. but he is also going to have more issues health wise as well with his offspring..
    Yes true, the odds are funny like that. But do we overlook that?

And if a person is gonna put their dog out as a stud, they should be prepared for some concerns to be aired, especially a popular sire.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Really? I counted the amount of dogs that have failed or had a blank hips, 93% had fair or better. I don't think that's a bad ratio when I didn't go back and look at the dams and their pedigrees. I know not all of them will be on there, but I'd say most that were done are because I counted the blanks (where they didn't list it), and most dogs get elbows done at the same time. He's a good sire, and discounting him because a few out of a ton, have bad hips when there's other factors, ie the dam and upbringing, is a travesty.
    Last edited by Erin O'Brien; 07-16-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post

And if a person is gonna put their dog out as a stud, they should be prepared for some concerns to be aired, especially a popular sire.
    100% in agreement!!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post

What concerns? Are you saying, Grady produces more bad hips/elbows, than the statistical norm?
    What facts do you have to back up your "concerns"??
    Other than gossip, hearsay and innuendo?
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    What concerns? Are you saying, Grady produces more bad hips/elbows, than the statistical norm?
    According to OFA, his puppies have a lower incidence than all labs for hip dysplasia. The all time data says around 12% of labs tested by them have bad hips.

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    Whoa, my comment was in general for any stud owner...not specifically Grady. And any dog that is popular is going to produce concerns...in general everything good is credited to the bitch, while everything bad is associated with the sire...I don't know why that is, so stud owners have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Don't read more into my posts than what is there.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Some good points have been made here. There are a lot of Grady-sired pups around. Grady was bred before he was NAFC and I don't believe he continued to bred only because of that "N". Yes, he's been a popular boy, and for good reason. Stud de jours come and go as time tells what their offspring do, FT people don't keep breeding to a dog that doesn't produce. Marketing sells pups for others, some place a huge emphasis on a Nat/Nat Am champ title, but overall, the real FT people look at consistency, production and what kind of dog they like to own, train and run. Grady has heart, talent, brains and a wonderful temperament. I've had four of his pups and see a bunch of others. I've seen nothing yet that proves Grady is throwing a higher than average incidence of OFA issues. I breed. I have to take into account what's going to hit me in the wallet down the road and have to make decisions based upon that, not just what I myself am going to end up with, but what I might have to replace in future litters. I have a Grady daughter and a Grady son. Both lovely dogs in temperament, easy to live with, other than the male will take your knee out with his happy tail. Smart, easy to train. Are they going to be FC AFC? Not likely, in my world. But, they are nice working dogs and easy for a handler like me, and give it their all, no crappy attitudes, no vocal issues, not breaking crazy-butt a-holes. I've had several of those from some of the "top sires", they might have had all the health clearances, but, I didn't keep them, I think THAT is the type of Labrador that does a breed the disservice. Grady isn't perfect, no dog is. But, I don't think he's ruining the breed. Which is a ridiculous premise by some pretty jealous sounding people. I remember when I first got into field Labs, how the gossip was about Lean Mac ruining the breed. Some still maintain that. I think time has kinda disproved that gossip. Don't have to like Maxx or Grady, but danged if you can't respect a dog's record. Worried about ruining the breed? I can think of a billion other things to lose sleep over.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs