The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grady Pups

There are 3 major considerations in picking a stud dog: Pedigree, Performance, and Production. Let's look at Grady for a minute. His pedigree is awesome (Code Blue x Lean Mac lines), His performance increadible (high point Open dog, NAFC title, great points-per-start average as a Derby dog and as an All-age dog), and production, well, the proof is in the pudding (To date: 2012 NAFC, 2 High point Derby dogs, Multiple FC and AFC progeny, lots and lots of pups on the Derby list earning lots and lots of points). There are also some intangibles such as the fact that Grady overcame a very debilitating injury from a grass awn, which resulted in loosing lung tissue and ribs due to necrosis. Despite this he went on to qualify for more Nationals and win the National Am in 2011. He's as fun to hang out with in the house or at the lake as he was to watch run. A thoroughbred for sure, and quite a character. I had the pleasure to watch Grady progress from a young dog since I was leaving in NC at that time. I had planned on breeding to him well before he had a title because he's that impressive of an animal. In short, Grady could do things as a retriever on a regular basis that most dogs will never do. He's a very God blessed animal that thankfully can pass on his great traits. He is easily one of the best and most important stud dogs of his generation. In reference to the original post of this thread, my guess is the poster was simply misinformed. If anything, the majority of his offspring can be described as vey tractable. The reason Grady has been bred a lot goes back to Pedigree, Performance, and Production. Like Lean Mac, Grady has done a lot to improve the quality of dogs we have today. His impact on the breed and the sport will be appreciated for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by John gianladis View Post
    There are 3 major considerations in picking a stud dog: Pedigree, Performance, and Production. Let's look at Grady for a minute. His pedigree is awesome (Code Blue x Lean Mac lines), His performance increadible (high point Open dog, NAFC title, great points-per-start average as a Derby dog and as an All-age dog), and production, well, the proof is in the pudding (To date: 2012 NAFC, 2 High point Derby dogs, Multiple FC and AFC progeny, lots and lots of pups on the Derby list earning lots and lots of points). There are also some intangibles such as the fact that Grady overcame a very debilitating injury from a grass awn, which resulted in loosing lung tissue and ribs due to necrosis. Despite this he went on to qualify for more Nationals and win the National Am in 2011. He's as fun to hang out with in the house or at the lake as he was to watch run. A thoroughbred for sure, and quite a character. I had the pleasure to watch Grady progress from a young dog since I was leaving in NC at that time. I had planned on breeding to him well before he had a title because he's that impressive of an animal. In short, Grady could do things as a retriever on a regular basis that most dogs will never do. He's a very God blessed animal that thankfully can pass on his great traits. He is easily one of the best and most important stud dogs of his generation. In reference to the original post of this thread, my guess is the poster was simply misinformed. If anything, the majority of his offspring can be described as vey tractable. The reason Grady has been bred a lot goes back to Pedigree, Performance, and Production. Like Lean Mac, Grady has done a lot to improve the quality of dogs we have today. His impact on the breed and the sport will be appreciated for a long time!
    HERE! HERE! Bravo....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Very well said John!

Quote Originally Posted by John gianladis View Post
    Hell of a good first post on the forum... Nice!

(After being registered for two years). Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    Bill Davis

Thanks Johnny G for the kind words.
    Just to add a few more facts from my feeble memory
    There are 13 FC/AFC's so far.
    2 US high Point Derby Dogs-Carolina's Half Moon 79 points and Keeno's Cisco 64 points
    1 High Point Jr Dog in canada
    2013-3 of the top 10 derby dogs
    2012- 6 on the derby list
    2011-3 of the top 10 derby dogs
    2010- 2 of the top 5 derby dogs- Carolina's Half Moon and #3 Keeno's Gizmo
    2013-#3 High point Am Dog -Hockley Creek's Big Hitter

He had 6 dogs qualified for this past national Am
    21 dogs on the 2013 national derby list
    Over 115 QAA dogs to date
    17 dogs were running last years master national
    Apparently there are a few judges that hold the books on the weekends that like his pups.
    Just to put things into perspective he is 10 yrs old and his oldest pups are 6. He really just likes to go hunting and riding the jet ski in his old age and sleeping with the kids.
    Thanks go out to all the Grady pup owners who took a chance on buying a pup from him. Not all the litters are going to work out but we sure are proud that a few have.
    Chad
    Last edited by Chad Baker; 07-14-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

The black dog in my Avatar is a Grady pup and the yellow one is his mom. I truly believe that one day there will be an AFC or FC or both in front of his name and the traits that was past on from his father will have a lot to do with it.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

I couldn't be happier with my Grady female!

Chad was very generous helping me find the right litter.

Proof is in the numbers.

Thanks to Grady and Chad! Proud to know you both.

So Grady is great we have established that the real questions is if everyone and there brother breeds to him what do we have, a bunch of grady pups and in 3 or 4 generations where are we when those little resessive genes start showing up. I think most people breed to Grady simply because he is the flavor of the month. They don't take into account what he is or isn't bringing to the table and the same can be said for other sire's as well. It is my whole hearted belief that we are setting ourselves and this sport up for failure if we continue this flavor of the month breeding program. And I am not just singling out Grady. There are other Flavors out there. Grady just happens to be the flavor that is In style.
    I have never understood why you can have the best trained dogs in the world, but when you put two dogs together the act like they have a half a brain between the both of them.

Rkk's Lady Of the Lake

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    So Grady is great we have established that the real questions is if everyone and there brother breeds to him what do we have, a bunch of grady pups and in 3 or 4 generations where are we when those little resessive genes start showing up. I think most people breed to Grady simply because he is the flavor of the month. They don't take into account what he is or isn't bringing to the table and the same can be said for other sire's as well. It is my whole hearted belief that we are setting ourselves and this sport up for failure if we continue this flavor of the month breeding program. And I am not just singling out Grady. There are other Flavors out there. Grady just happens to be the flavor that is In style.
    Lets take Grady out of the equation so we dont make it personal, even though it seems that you have an axe to grind...

One of the considerations when choosing a stud dog for your female is that you have to find a stud that will help sell your litter,the ideal stud may be the exact fit you want if you were picking a mate for a single pup, but that dog may be a lightly campaigned dog, or one that is deceased, or maybe even untitled..BUT if that dog cant help sell your litter you are stuck

As for being the flavor of the month, not in this particular case..Grady may very well end up being the Lean Mac of this decade...if he continues to produce winners and the litters that he sires sell, the market will dictate his continued popularity

Even at Baskin Robbins or Blue Bell, the flavor of the month becomes a classic and is sold year round
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by nick_wilburn View Post
    I think you are selling breeders and buyers short. When looking at pedigrees of pups, I certainly try to take into account what both the sire and dam take to the table and would only use a breeder that does that and more. Some may not, but I think this is a very flawed generalization.