The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Problem

Default Dog Food Problem

Picked up a new bag of Pro Plan and fed as usual. They get Pro Plan at night and a grain free in the morning. The trouble started within 24 hours of them eating the Pro Plan. All my dogs had yellow cowpie stools and just weren't themselves. Withheld food for 24 hours, started metronidazole and canned pumpkin. When I introduced kibble it was just the grain free. Stools are back to normal. Not real happy with Purina right now.

Anyone else have a problem with a new bag?

Cindy R.
    Rustic Terriers, Parson Russell & Australian Terriers
    Fox Fire's Abracadabra
    Ch. Fox Fire Leather "N" Lace
    Benayr Scottish Blend- aka- Brody
    Benayr Rustic Charm - aka- Taylor

Take back the bag..., as any pet food with Corn is subject to having afflatoxin in it... The gut was trying to void it... it is suppose to be a bad year for the Afflatoxin as the weather is responsible as do storage issues arising.

The corn that gets used in pet food is not the sweet butter and sugar corn we eat... but the lowest value cattle corn.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

We feed Caesar Wellness Core no problem with that , there are a lot of other good dog foods...

Had same problem with PP years ago. Same problem from several bags, retailer could not, or would not explain. No help from purina either.

Went to Victor, never went back. Purina disguises their quality with promoting our sport, and the dogs suffer the consequences.
    HRCH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

Quote Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
    Had same problem with PP years ago. Same problem from several bags, retailer could not, or would not explain. No help from purina either.

Went to Victor, never went back. Purina disguises their quality with promoting our sport, and the dogs suffer the consequences.
    Disagree with your last statement. I would be highly suspect of other dog foods the same way some scrutinize PP. We have already discussed the dog food issue ad nauseum esp PP!! IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Funny you post this. I had an identical problem about 3 weeks ago with PP 30/20. Extremely loose stool and 2 accidents in her kennel, which has never happened. Bought a new bag and it cleared right up. The food in the 2 bags were different in both look and smell. Hopefully this was a one time thing. Purchased the bad bag at Petsmart.

Some of these high fat content dog foods can turn rancid if stored in a high temperature situation. I have seen this with foods other than Pro Plan.

Also something to consider is the help all these Pet Food companies hire are most likely not able to read instructions, the foreman may have not watched closely the mix being done and more fat was added then normal, or the extruder was operated by a fill in operator and the cooking was not correct, or then the drying was not done correct.

Just because a diet always works, does not mean every batch always comes out the same... the good thing is Pro Plan has a money back guarantee.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I'm so glad I stopped using that nasty dog food!!
    On the run!! Always Stay MAXXED OUT!!

http://www.petproductnews.com/headli...almonella.aspx

Here is also what happens when regular staff take their summer vacations... Recalls.... because the food was not cooked at a high enough temperature to kill bacteria.

While most dogs will not get permanently sick from salmonella, they will get loose stool. So the same thing could have occurred at any pet food plant across America... bad batches of food happen every day.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 07-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.