The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HRC tips....

Default HRC tips....

I have recently completed Lacy's 4xGMPR (APLA). MHR. (Nahra). And MH titles.... She is only soon to be four, so besides completing the GMHR for NAHRA I would like to run HRC for her HRCH title...otherwise wont have much to run till I can get a new pup which is a couple years away. Problem is I am kinda a whole and tests will be all 3+hours away. I have never even been to an HRC test and would prefer not to have to many "learning experiences" at the sake of my not being ready or having her ready or not knowing the rules.....

So.... What do we need to be ready for?
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

In Finished, no sound at the winger stations, train your pup to rotate with you and the gun. In Seasoned you may or may not get sound (duck call) at the winger station, I only had no sound once at seasoned. There will be no gun shot at the winger station, you will be firing primer poppers from the line at both stakes. I assume you will not run started. Double and a walk up in seasoned and a triple and honor in Finished. The honor dog shoot a gun also.
    The rule book is here: http://huntingretrieverclub.org/PDF/2013HRRulebook.pdf
    4XGMPR HRCH Lankas Labs Brandys Maximillion MH "Max"

1.5XGMPR HR Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL SH "Eli"

GMPR HR Bearpoint's They Call Me The Breeze SH "Breeze"

The New Club; Piedmont Pointing Labrador Club

The walk up in seasoned is not like akc walk up. And the most important thing is you have to wear camo.

How is the walk up?

The no sound at gun stations is what I thought might be the biggest difference.
    Fritz Baier

I'm not sure what the walk up is in AKC, but in HRC you will walk to the line, load a popper, and proceed down a path with the dog at heel. At a predetermined point in the path, a bird will come out of a winger. You will shoot at the bird, and your dog must be steady to wing and shot. You then release your dog to retrieve the bird, and the dog must deliver to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    How is the walk up?

The no sound at gun stations is what I thought might be the biggest difference.
    you walk dog off lead to a spot in which a bird is thrown right out in front of your dog. you shoot it. then send your dog to pick it up. nothing to it if your dog will sit.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Are you allowed to double stake?
    Fritz Baier

No double staking within the same day, you could run seasoned Saturday and Finished Sunday though. Practice shooting a gun from a bucket with a duck calling and silent wingers and if you have a MH I'm sure the dog can do the work, just get the mechanics down. I'm sure somebody on here has a video of an HRC Finished test. Or try youtube. There is also typically a bulldog diversion thrown at some point, I'm not sure if its a requirement but all 6 finished tests I ran had one.
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    There is also typically a bulldog diversion thrown at some point, I'm not sure if its a requirement but all 6 finished tests I ran had one.
    Yes it is a requirement. At least one series, either land or water, will have a diversion.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

I would say the biggest difference for me was safely handling and shooting the popper gun. That, to some extent, takes your focus off the dog, so makes handling a little harder, but I think it's a realistic element of hunting retriever testing.

The camo clothes may sometimes be "over-enforced" but it's a simple rule to comply with. I like it better than the various forms of subverting the "appropriate hunting apparel" rule in the other variations of the game.

When I was getting my 5 HRCH's I saw a lot of big swing - 180's - right - left - middle. I guess to enforce the "swing to the gun" idea. With no attention getting sound, I don't care for that test and don't consider it especially "realistic." It's handling on marks and unlike what I see in hunting. But it usually wasn't especially hard, either.

So go, enjoy, but you likely will have some "learning experiences."

The tests and people are usually a lot of fun and I like running all day even if you make a misteak.