The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HRC tips....

Gun safety is a big deal in HRC, and is something you need to be very aware of. The judges will greatly appreciate you telling them "Open" (as in the gun's action) and "On" (as in the gun's safety) once you've sent your dog and are putting the gun on the stand. Make sure you comply with keeping the action open and the safety on... they will be watching!

Two series?
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

As others have said, a lot goes on at the line. Train with shooting the gun, ducks calls, shorter marks, more ducks calls and shooting. I've seen incredible dogs that have had problems with all the excitement at the line. In finished you have to honor, most of the time, the honor will shoot at at least one mark.

What I learned at my first HRC test. I like you had a MH MHR, HRC is different it was pretty much crack for my dog and she's very steady.
    1) Gun fire makes a big difference to a dog, if a dog in not used to marking off the gun you will have problems, the stations are hidden, there are not duck calls in the field. I couldn't even see them until they were launch; & I had no idea where it was .
    2) Gun handling, you can put yourself out a quick as the dog, remember OPEN & SAFE, also remember where the barrel is, and be sure the gun is safe whenever you put it down. Chances are your going to have to put it down and then pick it back up then put it down. We shot 7-8 popper in my first Finished series, 3 marks, 2 blinds a diversion, and of course a couple of shots from the honor dog station.
    3) Ever heard of a Hot-Blind, in the HRC you will and they stink .
    4) Points count for points seasoned & finished points go towards a HRCH, thus it's makes since to run seasoned prior to finished; otherwise you've got 7 finished test for your title. Seasoned is a more entertaining test than finished, they have more requirements thus they do more, running around. Learning to Gun juggle there makes Finished easier.
    5) Most series start with a duck call from you. Why? becuz the stations can't see; so they have to hear you. I believe duck calling is graded, prehaps not, but let's just say you don't want to be the one everyone's mimicking @ the tailgate
    6) Waders or boots bring them, most judges delight in getting you to stand in or cross some bit of water, I barefooted my first one in water-up to my knees & it was cold .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-14-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Is the walk-up a single or is it part of a double or triple? Two series (land marks with blind and water marks with blind)?
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Walk up is a single. Usually thrown close as you are walking toward the line, it def tests control. But you can talk to your dog which helps.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Walk up is a single, could be a walk "out" instead. You may talk to your dog the entire time. Make sure that you shoulder the gun and shoot at the bird at the top of its arc after exiting the winger. Going to take you and your dog a minimum of three weekends to title.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Oh and seasoned is fun with a fast dog, you are up picking up, loading and shooting a bunch with the double, diversion, walk up and blind which all get a shot. Sometimes with a speed deamon the dog is back at heel before you can load and shoot. Season has the most crap for a handler to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    Two series?
    Yes. One land and one water.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    Is the walk-up a single or is it part of a double or triple? Two series (land marks with blind and water marks with blind)?
    In finished it can be a walkup triple. I've also heard of a walkup poison bird.
    Daren Galloway