The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HRC tips....

A walk-up is required for Seasoned, it's not for Finished. I haven't seen one in Finished yet, although I'm sure there are some, I've done a walk-out poison-bird in conjunction with a blind, right after a triple (the judges are inventive ).

Seasoned is a Land series, Blind, Water series Blind, Diversion, Walk-up and they usually try to place it all together in a gauntlet; so you don't have to re-leash your dog (which is required if you have to move to different points of origin but a pain when you have to deal with a gun & a wild seasoned dog)

Finished is usually a Land series with Blinds, and a Water-Series with Blinds. Diversion in there and an Honor. You get it all done it one day which is nice. I've seen some tough marking series in HRC, even if they are somewhat shorter, usually thick cover, most birds require a tight hunt and the blinds influence a lot (a hot blind or two makes it even more fun) .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-14-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Walk up is one of the required elements of Seasoned. It is not required in Finished, but you will sometimes have one. Not long ago, my co-judge and I set up a walk-up triple, similar to AKC, except the handler was actually shooting each bird.
    A diversion is required in Finished (and Seasoned) and can come after any mark or the blind. The handler shoots the diversion. Switching birds on the diversion on Finished is a failure...a markdown on Seasoned.
    You normally begin the test with a call (duck or goose) and you can talk to your dog the entire time (not like AKC where you must be quite after calling for the bird).
    You are not required to hand your ducks to the judge after you receive them.
    Handling to the area of the fall on two marks will fail the dog. Pops are not graded against the dog on handling unless they are excessive.
    You can use your own pump shotgun as long as the judges or marshal inspects it before you run.
    In Finished, you are judged on control coming from the holding blind to the bucket and from the honor to back after you've been excused.
    You are allowed to run both series even if your dog has failed the morning series. Judges will tell you that you have failed (if they know and don't have to discuss) when you finish your run.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

When at the line with the dog, is all gun handling on marks done from sitting on the bucket rather than standing at the line with your dog at heel?
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Usually, the judges will give you the choice of sitting, standing, or kneeling (I will, anyway) when starting the test. The diversion is shot while the handler is standing.
    Also, in HRC, since it closely duplicates real hunting, the dog may be on a dog stand, the dog and handler may be in a boat, or the handler might be in a layout blind with the dog in a dog blind. Sometimes you will see a remote sit. It is wise to bring waders or hip boots to every test. Almost any hunting situation may be duplicated as long as it is safe for everyone involved.
    Gun safety is of paramount importance in HRC. The judges are required to go over gun safety before every test. Some gun safety violations are a GS warning (2 GS warnings in a day = disqualification of the handler and dog that is currently running for that day. If that handler has other dogs entered, someone else may run them). Some Gun Safety issues, such as shooting a judge, a dog, or the honor handler/dog are immediate disqualifications. Most judges, myself included, are pretty observant and will ask the handler to "check his gun" to allow him to make it safe, before giving him a gun safety warning. I am pretty anal about "shooting from the hip", and that is where most of my GS warnings come from. No one is out to purposely disqualify handlers and dogs; by that same token, none of us want dogs to fail, either.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

And don't take your dog to the line off lead in seasoned or you'll get chewed on a little.

You guys are doing well with the rules. You can also find some HRC tests on you tube to watch
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I just like to say haveing a dog who has that many titles at only 4 is dam
    Impressive id be thrilled to have one of em !!

Would you guys mind answering a dumb question... I've never been to one of these HRC events and I get that it really attempts to simulate hunting. It actually sounds somewhat fast moving requiring (I would imagine) coordination and some physical ability. What about handlers with artificial knees and such. Just looking at that 5 gallon bucket and imagining sitting and standing and dancing around on the line... I think I'd be on my butt before I got the first bird to hand. It would be no trivial thing to just stand after being seated on that bucket.

Is the HRC philosophy that if you're too bunged up to actually be afield for the day and hunt... you need to run in the AKC?

I'm genuinely curious.

Actually most clubs and judges will do all they can to ensure that any handler with special needs will be accommodated during a weekend test. We only ask that you let the hunt chair know your limitations and what level you will be running. They are required to notify the judges so that this will be taken into consideration prior to setting up the test. Example someone in a wheel chair would not be asked to go down a steep muddy embankment. That is a bit extreme but you get the idea.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

People with disabilities certainly hunt. They are welcome at HRC tests and accommodations can and will be made. These accommodations are easily accomplished with advance planning. Please let the club know prior to test day.

I know handlers that could not shoulder & shuck an 870 due to shoulder surgery. An alternate was allowed to shoot the marks for them. Have personally been involved in helping carry a sheet of plywood to the waters edge to support a wheelchair in the mud. Then watched the mans friends along with help from the gallery carry the wheelchair to the line. The attitude has always been "how can we make this happen"?
    Mark Land