The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety of a breed female

Default Safety of a breed female

Have 3yr old blf lab that's 2 wks breed is it ok to continue to run marks at this point till she's further along, or better to just air her?

You can do some light work, but to much stress can cause them to not take or abort. But be careful because even light work with this summer hear (even early in the AM or late in the PM can cause to much stress.
    Matt Ryan

HR Hiding in the Lily Pads (lily)
    HR Rainey Brakes Mississippi Queen (Daisy)
    SHR Rainey Brakes Ace of Spades (Ace)
    RBR's Sweet Southern Magnolia (Maggie)

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

I saw a bitch last month running a HT when she was 2 weeks from delivery. Had 9 healthy pups. Talk to your vet. Perhaps Dr. Ed could weigh in on this too?
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

I ran a bitch until she was about 45 days pregnant. I just avoided overexertion and rough terrain. She placed in a qualifying at about 45 days and then I put her on the shelf because she was getting big. She had 10 healthy pups. Obviously, this is just anecdotal evidence, but I did it based on the advice of a couple of vets who have sporting dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by rotcsig443 View Post
    You can do some light work, but to much stress can cause them to not take or abort. But be careful because even light work with this summer hear (even early in the AM or late in the PM can cause to much stress.
    We just had a litter, we let her do light work for about 3 weeks after a surgical AI.
    Just to hot and humid to take a chance on an expensive litter of pups and Momma Jesse.
    Good Luck
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QA2 FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2 NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QA2
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH QA2

She needs to stay in shape throughout the pregnancy, but from day 10 thru 25 I like to not work hard, just take for a walk around the pond each day. This period is critical because blastocystes implant in wall of uterus and become embryos that will develop important organs during that time.
    Marty & Lesa
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-564-3560
    www.ramblinmaxx.com

If I recall, 14 days after breeding with AI frozen stitches were removed and my girl was clear to return to work. Then we worked up until she no-longer wanted to work.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

According to my vet light to moderate exercise is good for the bitch. She advised to just not overdo it.

Depends on how important the puppies/breeding is to you apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmaxx View Post
    She needs to stay in shape throughout the pregnancy, but from day 10 thru 25 I like to not work hard, just take for a walk around the pond each day. This period is critical because blastocystes implant in wall of uterus and become embryos that will develop important organs during that time.
    ^^This. I keep my bitches active, but I wait until about 4 weeks in.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD