The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Hole Slide In Opinions Wanted

Default 2 Hole Crossover vs Slide In Opinions Wanted

I am looking for a two hole box to take the place of my current toolbox in my truck bed. I like the crossover style like the first picture; how well do these vent? It gets hot here and I need something that vents well. I didn't know if the box being low in the bed and the side vents up against the side walls of the truck bed would keep it from venting well. The slide in style like the second picture seems like it might vent better and can be ordered with storage in the lid, it just looks much taller than the crossover style. I am used to having a low profile toolbox in my truck and being able to see out the back window, hoping to keep it that way.
    Last edited by jackh; 07-14-2014 at 01:36 PM.

I don't have a crossover so I can't comment on that but I'm in Texas too so I know about heat. Remember that with a taller box there is usually more insulation space and or dead air space in the top storage that acts like an attic and in turn will keep your dog cooler. Use your side mirrors and don't discount a tall box. It may just be better.

I'd go to option 2 there. If you want a toolbox...get a toolbox. Trying to make a toolbox hold dogs doesn't work. If you're like most on this forum, you have a decent investment in your dogs so don't scrimp on things that can keep them healthy and safe.
    I've had a 3 hole in my truck for so many years it's really odd to me when I take it out and can actually see out of the back window!

Look at your side louvers. Very little, if any side ventilation. Box needs to be higher to get the side louvers up above truck rails. Opt 2 with drawer system or platform of some type for storage.
    Tom Dorroh

Great question. I am in the same predicament as you right now. Here is the route I am thinking of taking.
    i have a f-250 just for reference

Option 1) keep tool box in bed and just order a dog box with no storage. Go to a dog box inside height of 22 inches.

Option 2) order a box with top storage. Go 22 inches on inside dog box height, and limit top storage to 4 inches. This really gives you about 5 inches in some boxes bc of the way the top is designed. That's plenty of storage for leads, dog vests, shotguns, bumpers, small tools, etc.

i am torn as to what to do. I know I won't really take my tool box out ever, I have too much stuff in it. But on the rare occasion that I would remove it to make room on long out of state trips, it would be nice to have storage in the dog box. Right now I'm leaning towards no storage.

I don't have a box, but of the boxes I've seen and kinda figured out what I want, I would have to go with option 2, with drawers, I've got way to much stuff to no have drawers.
    Daren Galloway

Yall think drawers would be better than top storage?

The crossover style was appealing because it kinda does double duty and you could preserve so much bed space. My toolbox right now is mainly full of tools and crap I rarely use but like to have on hand. I keep all my dog training stuff on the driver side of the toolbox, it would easily fit in top storage or drawers. A toolbox plus slide in means probably no room for a cooler and very little room for hunting stuff on long trips. A crossover means I get rid of my toolbox and consolidate the stuff I want to keep on hand in the truck, but still carry dog training stuff in the storage, and its low profile like my toolbox. I guess I could really do the same with a nice slide in and ditch the toolbox, just lose vision out my back window.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    I don't have a crossover so I can't comment on that but I'm in Texas too so I know about heat. Remember that with a taller box there is usually more insulation space and or dead air space in the top storage that acts like an attic and in turn will keep your dog cooler. Use your side mirrors and don't discount a tall box. It may just be better.
    I have tow mirrors on my truck that I use a ton already so it may not be a big change. Could you expand on how dead air space keeps the dog cooler? I thought a hot attic made your house hotter and electric bill to cool it go up?

My truck has a full crossover toolbox. I'm like you, I need to carry "stuff", seems I'm always the one ends making repairs on duck boats, tractors, etc. So I keep my 3 hole with drawers mounted just far enough back to reach in and open the toolbox latches. I also balanced that gap with space at the rear so I could carry a small cooler and still shut the tailgate, this is a shortbed F250. Yea you lose room for gear on hunting trips but I've done two things. I empty both my drawers and pack all the hunting stuff we can into them, mostly stuff we'd use in the field. And I end carrying everyone's dogs. Being a crew cab truck I still have interior room for gear bags and as put large coolers on the toolbox and one of the receiver hitch carriers. Now usually during duck season I take the slide in box out and just use plastic crates because I have to carry so many decoys sometimes along with client gear. Overall, it's just a change in how you do things. But I think you'd be happer with a nice slide in box with drawers and insulation.

I have option one made by Ainely and I really like it! The two sides on mine do not quite sit flush with my truck bed and do provide a little extra ventilation through the side vents on the dog boxes. Plus I can fit 3 wingers in the top storage, I do not remember if it was their standard size or if they made that adjustment for me.