The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Hole Slide In Opinions Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by MSinykin View Post
    I have option one made by Ainely and I really like it! The two sides on mine do not quite sit flush with my truck bed and do provide a little extra ventilation through the side vents on the dog boxes. Plus I can fit 3 wingers in the top storage, I do not remember if it was their standard size or if they made that adjustment for me.
    Any pictures you could post on here? And it vents well enough for where you are?

And do yall think a fan is necessary? I am coming from a ruff tough crate and don't really know what do judge by.

I have an exhaust fan on my slide and I've used once in the 12 or so years I've had it... I think. As long as you have some sort of breeze they stay pretty cool. I do use the fan on my trailer but it's a lot different having more dogs packed in there. Still not a bad option to have in case you need it. And if you find one without I would probably just end staking out the dogs under and around the truck if it was that hot.

Most boxes have a fan. Cost when new 150 bucks. When you get ready to upgrade you'll be competing with boxes that have fans. Plus, I think they are well worth the money. I use mine all the time.
    Tom Dorroh

Sounds like you want the Ainley, its a great box. To get the vents at the bed rail have them weld some 3" channel on the bottom of the box. You'll get some ventilation, still have some rear glass and be able to wash all the beer caps,dog hair that tends to find hiding places in the bed. You'll really enjoy the new box when it ships in 3 months.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Sounds like you want the Ainley, its a great box. To get the vents at the bed rail have them weld some 3" channel on the bottom of the box. You'll get some ventilation, still have some rear glass and be able to wash all the beer caps,dog hair that tends to find hiding places in the bed. You'll really enjoy the new box when it ships in 3 months.
    Try 8 months...

I have a MTCK 2 hole with bottom storage just under the kennel, water, and fan. I chose bottom storage because it is my understanding with top storage the fan takes up some space and the lid need to be open. A pain in the rain. The bottom storage does make the box high enough to make the rear window useless.

I have seen folks put a cross over tool box next to the cab and the kennel against that. The kennel sets over the tires but on the short bed trucks there is not much room for anything between the kennel and the tail gate.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    I have a MTCK 2 hole with bottom storage just under the kennel, water, and fan. I chose bottom storage because it is my understanding with top storage the fan takes up some space and the lid need to be open. A pain in the rain. The bottom storage does make the box high enough to make the rear window useless.

I have seen folks put a cross over tool box next to the cab and the kennel against that. The kennel sets over the tires but on the short bed trucks there is not much room for anything between the kennel and the tail gate.
    that is incorrect, exhaust vent works when lid is closed. If its raining I doubt there would be a need for the fan.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    I don't have a crossover so I can't comment on that but I'm in Texas too so I know about heat. Remember that with a taller box there is usually more insulation space and or dead air space in the top storage that acts like an attic and in turn will keep your dog cooler. Use your side mirrors and don't discount a tall box. It may just be better.

I completely disagree with this , go into your attic when its hot and its even hotter , you need air flow to circulate through and it will help cool. The better ventilated an attic is the cooler it will be. Thats why they add attic fans/ soffit vents, roof vents etc.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    I completely disagree with this , go into your attic when its hot and its even hotter , you need air flow to circulate through and it will help cool. The better ventilated an attic is the cooler it will be. Thats why they add attic fans/ soffit vents, roof vents etc.
    That was my thinking, that's why I wanted him to explain that. I recently got ridge vents in my roof.

I would probably order a fan over a water tank if it came down to one or the other. Keeping the toolbox and getting a two hole with fan and no storage is an option, just means no bed space left in my truck and probably less resale market.