The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky

Default Kentucky

Traveling to Kentucky first week in September to sight see and look for possible places to retire. We want out of over populated/ over taxed New England.

Would like to buy 20-50 acres with a pond or two to dog train on. Has to have good duck/goose and turkey/deer hunting in the area. Has to be reasonable drive to decent sized cities where you can shop/dine/medical stuff/ theatre/performing arts, and all that jazz.

We've been doing our homework online, but any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Steve
    "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch ?" Glinda, the good witch of the North.

I live in Lexington and really like it. We own 22 acres with a pond in Nicholasville, which borders Lexington. The prices are high for KY in Lexington, but nothing like what you would see in the northeast. The property taxes are next to nothing in Nicholasville because anything over 10 acres is taxed as agricultural. With all the nice horse farms, there's lots of culture. I work in the medical field, and the hospitals here are pretty good, especially for cardiology. There is some hunting, but it's not as good as western KY. Paducah is close to good hunting, they have nice dog training areas, you're close to Kentucky lake, and has an ok downtown. And you're within a few hours of Nashville.

I grew up in NJ and moved to KY after college, and I'd never move back. Where are you looking? Feel free to pm me with any questions.

I live 35 miles south of lexington. You can have some good duck hunts but expect to scout ALOT and not see thousands. Geese are plentiful though, as well as turkey and deer. Ive never lived anywhere but central KY but I like it here. If you find a smaller town 30 miles from Lex it will save you lots of money buying land. There are some great small towns around here. If you move close enough and want someone to train with, come on down. If I had to do over I would have bought my farm with frontage to elk horn creek or ky river.

I'll second what has been said already. I've lived in Winchester my whole life (15 min East of Lexington) and plan on staying in the area. The state in general has a very healthy deer and turkey population. The heavy flights of ducks are towards the western end, but central KY has a ton of canada geese and the duck numbers have seemed to be increasing the past several years. Any of the counties surrounding Lexington would be a good place to look.

Were flying into Nashville, seeing Grand Ole Opry, then heading north into Ky next day. Plan to spend some time in the Murray area, then to Hopkinsville area. Then we were thinking of going to the Danville area. Were leaving out of Louisville. Final night will be on the Belle of the Louisville, for a dinner/music sunset cruise.

How is the land down there for "No Trespassing " . Everything up here is posted. Active retriever clubs ?

Thanks for all your input.

Steve
    "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch ?" Glinda, the good witch of the North.

Be careful - learn early that your now in Sec country, be aware church service times modify according to when the Cats or Cardinals are playing. Especially understand what colors you wear, affiliation to one team or the other splits family's.

Re consider while you have time- come to Alabama where we play real football 24/7/365, where the toothbrush was invented, where your sister could also be your aunt , where your retriever is suppose to go to town with you.
    Dk

From a Canucks point of view! I have been to KY several times and really loved the State. Great place for touring. I rode my bike, with my older dog, through Daniel Boone Forest.

http://parks.ky.gov/parks/recreation...s/default.aspx

Visited James Audobon Park. Very nice.

Stayed in Paducah, KY and rode the bike with dog through the town. Paducah was near where Central KY held their HRC test. The first time I went I did not know even what was expected in Started other than what I read (No RTF). Blackie was very interested in touring as well instead of retrieving the bird. Next HRC visit was better. Got a Started pass!
    Can't say enough about the friendliness and helpfulness of the people. Great place. If we didn't have free health care!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    Be careful - learn early that your now in Sec country, be aware church service times modify according to when the Cats or Cardinals are playing. Especially understand what colors you wear, affiliation to one team or the other splits family's.

Re consider while you have time- come to Alabama where we play real football 24/7/365, where the toothbrush was invented, where your sister could also be your aunt , where your retriever is suppose to go to town with you.
    Dk
    Dave, there's only one basketball team, Kentucky. There's nothing like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamel View Post
    Were flying into Nashville, seeing Grand Ole Opry, then heading north into Ky next day. Plan to spend some time in the Murray area, then to Hopkinsville area. Then we were thinking of going to the Danville area. Were leaving out of Louisville. Final night will be on the Belle of the Louisville, for a dinner/music sunset cruise.

How is the land down there for "No Trespassing " . Everything up here is posted. Active retriever clubs ?

Thanks for all your input.

Steve
    There is a lot of no trespassing, but most people have no problem letting you train on their land. Everyone will know you're from the north, but they're still nice to you. We have an HRC club in central KY, CKHRA, theres a lot of field trials and AKC HTs in Paducah, and they also have very active clubs in Nashville for both AKC FT/HT and HRC. They're holding the National Am in Paducah supposedly in a few years and they're holding the grand in Paducah next fall. The FT grounds in Paducah where they hold the trials and tests is a WMA. Its awesome! And well kept. I plan a few weekends down there a year just to train.

For good waterfowl AND Deer/Turkey, it's hard to beat western Kentucky. I second the Paducah area (not Hopkinsville, I grew up there). However, I would look very hard at the central KY region, it's just beautiful country. All those towns surrounding Lexington (Versailles, Nicholasville, Winchester etc.) would be on my list of places to retire. Would be close to plenty of that city stuff you mentioned in Lex/Louisville too. Just be prepared for some high land prices since a lot of that is horse country! It's also cat country so don't be wearing red!