The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky

my brother had his medical practice in Madisonville for over a decade, along with a small clinic in Bowling Green, my SIL is from Greensburg, (home of CMoH recipient Dakota Meier)...the in laws are really nice people, people of the state are friendly, LOTS of deer to hunt..you could find a lot of worse places to retire, its not far to travel to other states

and to the poster that said that UK was the ONLY basketball team...Rick Pitino and Louisville have a national championship that says differently (hope my SIL doesnt read this)
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

West Tennessee, no state income tax, ducks, deer, turkeys, KY Lake, Pickwick Lake, lower land prices outside of the delta. Jackson TN is 65-70k people, an hour away is Memphis, 2 hours is Nashville. Middle and East TN also have ducks just not as many. I currently live in Louisville after finishing school in December but plan to move back to TN ASAP. Lots of lakes in Middle and East TN.
    A Case of the Memphis Blues - Case

The Kentucky National Anthem?

The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home
    Tis summer, the darkies are gay
    The corn top's ripe and the meadow's in bloom
    While the birds make music all the day
    The young folks roll on the little cabin floor
    All merry, all happy and bright
    By 'n by hard times come a-knocking at the door
    Then my old Kentucky home good night

Weep no more, my lady
    Oh, weep no more, today
    We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home
    For the old Kentucky home far away.

They hunt no more for the 'possum and the coon,
    On meadow, the hill and the shore,
    They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon,
    On the bench by that old cabin door.
    The day goes by like a shadow o'er the heart,
    With sorrow where all was delight.
    The time has come when the darkies have to part,
    Then my old Kentucky home, good night.

The head must bow and the back will have to bend,
    Wherever the poor folks may go
    A few more days and the trouble will end,
    In the field where sugar-canes may grow.
    A few more days for to tote the weary load,
    No matter, 'twill never be light
    A few more days till we totter on the road,
    Then my old Kentucky home, good night.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzmand View Post
    West Tennessee, no state income tax, ducks, deer, turkeys, KY Lake, Pickwick Lake, lower land prices outside of the delta. Jackson TN is 65-70k people, an hour away is Memphis, 2 hours is Nashville. Middle and East TN also have ducks just not as many. I currently live in Louisville after finishing school in December but plan to move back to TN ASAP. Lots of lakes in Middle and East TN.

Louisville is really not a good showcase of what we have to offer. That teen mob violence going on now just another reason I avoid it. Im all for shoving it across the river....

Other than good food, Louisville is terrible.
    A Case of the Memphis Blues - Case

Great place must to the bourbon tour and the derby!

Deer and Turkey are very plentiful anywhere in the state. But waterfowl is definitely more abundant closer to the Mississippi. also a lot of the bigger deer (Booners ) are being take in the western third of the state. Land isn't cheap anywhere near any city, and not much cheaper in the outskirts. but still way lower than what you are used to up north. Almost all good, private hunting land is leased which knocks out a lot of training ground, But there are a lot of nice people too, that will allow you to use their land for training. Just have to knock on some doors. Our club C.K.R.C. uses the grounds at kevil Ky, Near Paducah,The WKWMA, is a VERY NICE place!!! If you moved near there , you would not have to worry about training grounds at all. Welcome to Ky, Hope to meet you someday .
    Last edited by Mike Sale; 07-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    Gator Point's Magnum Missy SH
    Brownings Troublesome Cassie

I live in Georgetown, 15 miles north of Lexington. Scott co. can be pricey due to Toyota plant being here, but I own 17 acres in Harrison co, which just north of Scott co. Prices are a lot cheaper and so are the taxes. Geese are every where here, ducks not so much. Turkey and Deer are easy hunting. I grew up in Winchester good place to live.

Tony Williams

EdA, It took WAY too long but in 1988 the State House of Representatives changed the State Song to the "modern version" , which substituted the word "people" for the word "darkies" citing the original lyrics were offensive , House resolution 159
    Gator Point's Magnum Missy SH
    Brownings Troublesome Cassie

I grew up in Mayfield in the western end of Kentucky. This is close to Mississippi river bottomland for ducks. Also close to Arkansas and SE Missouri hunting areas. Also is close to the Land between the Lakes that has produced some monster bucks through the years. Not as scenic an area as Lexington horse country but land prices are cheaper.