RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Kentucky

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Sundown49 aka Otey B 
#1 ·
Traveling to Kentucky first week in September to sight see and look for possible places to retire. We want out of over populated/ over taxed New England.

Would like to buy 20-50 acres with a pond or two to dog train on. Has to have good duck/goose and turkey/deer hunting in the area. Has to be reasonable drive to decent sized cities where you can shop/dine/medical stuff/ theatre/performing arts, and all that jazz.

We've been doing our homework online, but any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Steve

#2 ·
I live in Lexington and really like it. We own 22 acres with a pond in Nicholasville, which borders Lexington. The prices are high for KY in Lexington, but nothing like what you would see in the northeast. The property taxes are next to nothing in Nicholasville because anything over 10 acres is taxed as agricultural. With all the nice horse farms, there's lots of culture. I work in the medical field, and the hospitals here are pretty good, especially for cardiology. There is some hunting, but it's not as good as western KY. Paducah is close to good hunting, they have nice dog training areas, you're close to Kentucky lake, and has an ok downtown. And you're within a few hours of Nashville.

I grew up in NJ and moved to KY after college, and I'd never move back. Where are you looking? Feel free to pm me with any questions.

#3 ·
I live 35 miles south of lexington. You can have some good duck hunts but expect to scout ALOT and not see thousands. Geese are plentiful though, as well as turkey and deer. Ive never lived anywhere but central KY but I like it here. If you find a smaller town 30 miles from Lex it will save you lots of money buying land. There are some great small towns around here. If you move close enough and want someone to train with, come on down. If I had to do over I would have bought my farm with frontage to elk horn creek or ky river.

#4 ·
I'll second what has been said already. I've lived in Winchester my whole life (15 min East of Lexington) and plan on staying in the area. The state in general has a very healthy deer and turkey population. The heavy flights of ducks are towards the western end, but central KY has a ton of canada geese and the duck numbers have seemed to be increasing the past several years. Any of the counties surrounding Lexington would be a good place to look.

#5 ·
Were flying into Nashville, seeing Grand Ole Opry, then heading north into Ky next day. Plan to spend some time in the Murray area, then to Hopkinsville area. Then we were thinking of going to the Danville area. Were leaving out of Louisville. Final night will be on the Belle of the Louisville, for a dinner/music sunset cruise.

How is the land down there for "No Trespassing " . Everything up here is posted. Active retriever clubs ?

Thanks for all your input.

Steve

#9 ·
There is a lot of no trespassing, but most people have no problem letting you train on their land. Everyone will know you're from the north, but they're still nice to you. We have an HRC club in central KY, CKHRA, theres a lot of field trials and AKC HTs in Paducah, and they also have very active clubs in Nashville for both AKC FT/HT and HRC. They're holding the National Am in Paducah supposedly in a few years and they're holding the grand in Paducah next fall. The FT grounds in Paducah where they hold the trials and tests is a WMA. Its awesome! And well kept. I plan a few weekends down there a year just to train.

#6 ·
Be careful - learn early that your now in Sec country, be aware church service times modify according to when the Cats or Cardinals are playing. Especially understand what colors you wear, affiliation to one team or the other splits family's.

Re consider while you have time- come to Alabama where we play real football 24/7/365, where the toothbrush was invented, where your sister could also be your aunt , where your retriever is suppose to go to town with you.
Dk

#7 ·
From a Canucks point of view! I have been to KY several times and really loved the State. Great place for touring. I rode my bike, with my older dog, through Daniel Boone Forest.

http://parks.ky.gov/parks/recreationparks/John-James/default.aspx

Visited James Audobon Park. Very nice.

Stayed in Paducah, KY and rode the bike with dog through the town. Paducah was near where Central KY held their HRC test. The first time I went I did not know even what was expected in Started other than what I read (No RTF). Blackie was very interested in touring as well instead of retrieving the bird. Next HRC visit was better. Got a Started pass!
Can't say enough about the friendliness and helpfulness of the people. Great place. If we didn't have free health care!:)

#10 ·
For good waterfowl AND Deer/Turkey, it's hard to beat western Kentucky. I second the Paducah area (not Hopkinsville, I grew up there). However, I would look very hard at the central KY region, it's just beautiful country. All those towns surrounding Lexington (Versailles, Nicholasville, Winchester etc.) would be on my list of places to retire. Would be close to plenty of that city stuff you mentioned in Lex/Louisville too. Just be prepared for some high land prices since a lot of that is horse country! It's also cat country so don't be wearing red!

#11 ·
my brother had his medical practice in Madisonville for over a decade, along with a small clinic in Bowling Green, my SIL is from Greensburg, (home of CMoH recipient Dakota Meier)...the in laws are really nice people, people of the state are friendly, LOTS of deer to hunt..you could find a lot of worse places to retire, its not far to travel to other states

and to the poster that said that UK was the ONLY basketball team...Rick Pitino and Louisville have a national championship that says differently (hope my SIL doesnt read this)

#12 ·
West Tennessee, no state income tax, ducks, deer, turkeys, KY Lake, Pickwick Lake, lower land prices outside of the delta. Jackson TN is 65-70k people, an hour away is Memphis, 2 hours is Nashville. Middle and East TN also have ducks just not as many. I currently live in Louisville after finishing school in December but plan to move back to TN ASAP. Lots of lakes in Middle and East TN.

#13 ·
The Kentucky National Anthem?

The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home
Tis summer, the ******* are gay
The corn top's ripe and the meadow's in bloom
While the birds make music all the day
The young folks roll on the little cabin floor
All merry, all happy and bright
By 'n by hard times come a-knocking at the door
Then my old Kentucky home good night

Weep no more, my lady
Oh, weep no more, today
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home
For the old Kentucky home far away.

They hunt no more for the 'possum and the ****,
On meadow, the hill and the shore,
They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon,
On the bench by that old cabin door.
The day goes by like a shadow o'er the heart,
With sorrow where all was delight.
The time has come when the ******* have to part,
Then my old Kentucky home, good night.

The head must bow and the back will have to bend,
Wherever the poor folks may go
A few more days and the trouble will end,
In the field where sugar-canes may grow.
A few more days for to tote the weary load,
No matter, 'twill never be light
A few more days till we totter on the road,
Then my old Kentucky home, good night.

#17 · (Edited)
Deer and Turkey are very plentiful anywhere in the state. But waterfowl is definitely more abundant closer to the Mississippi. also a lot of the bigger deer (Booners ) are being take in the western third of the state. Land isn't cheap anywhere near any city, and not much cheaper in the outskirts. but still way lower than what you are used to up north. Almost all good, private hunting land is leased which knocks out a lot of training ground, But there are a lot of nice people too, that will allow you to use their land for training. Just have to knock on some doors. Our club C.K.R.C. uses the grounds at kevil Ky, Near Paducah,The WKWMA, is a VERY NICE place!!! If you moved near there , you would not have to worry about training grounds at all. Welcome to Ky, Hope to meet you someday .

#18 ·
I live in Georgetown, 15 miles north of Lexington. Scott co. can be pricey due to Toyota plant being here, but I own 17 acres in Harrison co, which just north of Scott co. Prices are a lot cheaper and so are the taxes. Geese are every where here, ducks not so much. Turkey and Deer are easy hunting. I grew up in Winchester good place to live.

Tony Williams

#19 ·
EdA, It took WAY too long but in 1988 the State House of Representatives changed the State Song to the "modern version" , which substituted the word "people" for the word "*******" citing the original lyrics were offensive , House resolution 159

#20 ·
I grew up in Mayfield in the western end of Kentucky. This is close to Mississippi river bottomland for ducks. Also close to Arkansas and SE Missouri hunting areas. Also is close to the Land between the Lakes that has produced some monster bucks through the years. Not as scenic an area as Lexington horse country but land prices are cheaper.

#21 ·
I am from Southern Illinois and have two daughters in W. KY, one in Paducah and one in Murray so we go there fairly often to visit and I have run dogs there. Good hunting but most of the good spots are private or leased by clubs. Public areas are tough but a retired guy might do well hunting weekdays when all the macho youngsters are at work (old guys rule!) :p
I looked at properties like you described and you can find them but you will need to be patient and look for that perfect spot. Most of the properties with lakes and ponds that I looked at required dirt work on the ponds to do technical work. I wound up buying some reclaimed mine land in IL (55 ac) with two nice ponds on it and almost half a mile of waterfront on a big mine lake. It is rough and needs work but it is a diamond in the rough and I always wanted a bulldozer to play with anyway. It was also cheap! Compared to local farmland prices anyway. Will be retiring there and build a house, a barn, a kennel then train and run dogs. Looking forward to it! Good luck, hope you find your spot. Maybe see you at trials in a few years.

#22 ·
Ky

Hey Steve,

Sounds like a tall order..... Never been to Kentucky but I here its nice. By the reading though some of the posts it sounds like they have all the same issues as we do only the names and faces are different. I'm in the same boat looking to move out of Ma. to train dogs and retire.. Good Luck

#23 ·
I am definitely biased, but I don't think you can beat Far Western Kentucky, as in west of the lakes. I think it offers the most of your original post with exceptions given to the performing arts/theater. Land prices will be in the 3500-7000 and acre range depending on where you are at. 2.5 hrs to Nashville, 2.5 hrs to Memphis, 3 hrs to St. Louis. First week of September is a good time to be here. If you are lucky you might get in on a good dove hunt!

PM is you want to discuss!

#24 ·
Is the Western Kentucky WMA that people are posting about gated, or is there vehicle access ? Can I just stop in one day and drive my vehicle around to see what its like ?

Jim,

Yes it's a tall order but it's gotta be cheaper then New England, and more room to have fun in.

Steve

#25 ·
Steve you can drive all over West KY. WMA. I have judged there several times and ran there several more. Great place to work dawgs..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.