The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Signal Confusion

I modified my hand signals this evening while training, hank seems to catch on quick and we seem to be showing improvement.

I was was bringing hand up in front then going out. I now go strait up from the sides, no hands in the front now unless casting back. This seems to have made a positive influence and I'll continue working this way.... Thanks again.

10 mos, what program?
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

At this young age and so early in the steps of handling, try sticking with verbals still and telling him what you want. This might help. As he gets farther along and is farther away, the vocal casts will drive him deep due to force. I am teaching handling to one now, and still give verbals since I am still teaching.

Also, I have an older dog that used to be really bad about digging back on overs and I had to start pushing down and out and really exaggerate the casts when giving an over for her to understand. I did that for a while, then started to make the down and out less and give more of a straight out. Didn't take her long to catch on. Good luck.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    The rookie- Jamstar's Hot Tubb "Cuzzi"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

I don't think he is confused, just doesn't know yet. Remember, distance erodes training. I would rather them turn back when I give an over, than go left or right when I give a back. Also, if you are running a blind you hope you don't need to use over.

Distance erodes training.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I should tell you that there are some super DVD's and books you can buy that will show you the whole step-wise program for developing a good handling dog. A search for Bill Hillmann or Mike Lardy or Smartworks by Even Graham and there are lots of others.
    X2, casting starts very small and in a controlled setting. Set the dog up for success.

I would do a casting drill in the yard, kind of similar to a wagon wheel but with the dog a little distance away. Look it up I'm out the door right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztkirkpatric View Post
    I modified my hand signals this evening while training, hank seems to catch on quick and we seem to be showing improvement.

I was was bringing hand up in front then going out. I now go strait up from the sides, no hands in the front now unless casting back. This seems to have made a positive influence and I'll continue working this way.... Thanks again.
    I'm still not getting a clear picture of your training progression for handling. It appears we're going at this backward, but are not getting some grip on basic handling skill. If your dog is just learning to handle, distance is your enemy. It erodes control, and it doesn't sound like you have much control yet. Neither does it sound like your dog has more than rudimentary skills. Are you resistant to the idea of starting from ground zero and doing this right?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Evan, the soft sell isn't working. Just give him the price and be done with it.
    Bill Davis

I would ask two questions.

First, what are you wearing? I was taught to wear a white, long-sleeved shirt to give the dog every chance in the world to see and take an accurate cast. Even at teaching distances. Black gloves may help too.

Second, have you stood in front of a mirror and observed yourself casting? These dogs are super observant, and I bet you will find you are doing something that the dog is perceiving that you are not. I had the opposite problem from you, and I discovered in front of my mirror that I was unknowingly sort of "loading up" and making a very slight sideways movement before giving a straight up back cast. My dog, a fast twitch sort, was seeing that and taking off. Once I slowed down overall and ironed that flaw out of my casting, he improved 100%.

YMMV. Good luck with your dog.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I'm still not getting a clear picture of your training progression for handling. It appears we're going at this backward, but are not getting some grip on basic handling skill. If your dog is just learning to handle, distance is your enemy. It erodes control, and it doesn't sound like you have much control yet. Neither does it sound like your dog has more than rudimentary skills. Are you resistant to the idea of starting from ground zero and doing this right?

Evan
    Me thinks you might be on to something Evan.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts