The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand Signal Confusion

1)I'd bring him back close & teach left back & right back (different hands).
    2) I'd have someone watch me to make sure I'm not doing crap or moving other arms- legs when the dog is watching before I cast back one way or the other. Just to make sure I'm not confusing the dog before I give backs from a distance.
    3) I'd teach a literal back, which is basically put one hand up in front of your chest from your neutral position (verbal Back), I don't care which way the dog turns Just that he high-tails it straight back. A very nice cast to have in one's arsenal

As to your problem I'd bet on something be up with #2, that your body is inadvertently doing something, most likely your not in a neutral position when you cast right-back, thus the dog is seeing the right arm move. He sees thus takes a right cast before you complete the back cast movement. Your sending him mixed signals.

Neutral position: Have both hand placed in front of your chest, (elbows in/your a post with nothing on either side to direct-distract the dog). Be in position before you sit the dog. Sit the dog (make him wait). show him the hand (in front of your chest/your still a post) for the side your going to cast (make him wait-No auto casting-no movement you haven't given him a cast, just priming him on direction so he's not allowed to move) extend the hand and arm, straight up-45-out for the cast (no circular-side movement of the arm/you go from a post to a sign post showing one single non-confusing direction). See if your dog doesn't start taking much better casts.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-16-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

http://totalretriever.com/index.php/...es-of-training

"8. Design your training for predicted outcomes

-Seek success more than failure.

-Be sure to teach before you test.

-Simplify after repeated failure."

Baseball..........
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Slow down your hand/arm when you cast and do what others have said, exaggerate over with some body English. Slow down the BACK cast with your arm so he sees it. Palm out too helps.
    Larry Lauck
    Treasurer
    Lone Star Hunting Retriever Club
    Dallas, Texas

Field Expert
    Sporting Dog Team
    Drake Waterfowl Products, Inc.

SHR Duchess Ellie of Highlands

I'm a bit surprised the OP is not working RH & LH back. It's easy, as others have noted, to introduce early but difficult to ingrain if pup has established a habit of only turning in a single direction. And there will be plenty of times you need that spin to a specific side.
    I was mentored by an experienced trainer to let pup take a sit position in front with a bias to either direction even if it meant pup had to be adjusted to get some bias. Then cast the side pup is "leaning." Over a few days allow pup to gradually straighten his sit. I have been pleasantly surprised that the current project is taking RH & LH backs reliably after just a couple of weeks and he's now at 75+ yards. And his intro to swim-by has been the easiest I've ever experienced.

I don't normally give training advice, being new myself, but have you tried watching your casts in a mirror? It was very enlightening for me when I did it. No wonder my poor dog was confused.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Walking baseball is a nice step from yard to a somewhat more of a field setting.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH