The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for judges

Default Question for judges

Senior test, water mark. Decoys placed at point in front of gun, not in the area of the fall. Early dog gets tangled and the decoy ends up in the area of the fall. Judges discuss and choose to leave it there. Thoughts please. I was anxious my girl may get caught up in it but lucked out and the bird was blown away

So when you title a thread "question for judges" you should phrase it as a question rather than a statement. What are you asking
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    So when you title a thread "question for judges" you should phrase it as a question rather than a statement. What are you asking
    "Thoughts please" is a request even if it doesn't have a question mark appended to it.

Suggestion - get some decoys. work your pup through the spread so she, and you, get used to them. If she gets tangled up, don't panic, let her work it out.

If decoy is close to mark, thank the judges. It just might help your dog get the bird.

Cant tell if you're asking about the decoys close and on the line to mark or the one lone decoy that ended up by the mark.

Do you have an opinion on this? If so, can you reference the rule book?
    Tom Dorroh

Decoys should be a part of all hunt tests. If your dog isn't used to swimming through and past them, it's something I'd certainly be working on prior to entering even a junior!
    "If you have watched a pup learning the game, I do not have to tell you what it is like, and if you have not, I probably can't."- Datus Proper

-----------------------------------------------------

TNT Sailors Lil Hurricane Addie MH ***
    WR Cedars Field Blazing Tucker SH

Been years since I ran or judged a HT and it was NAHRA when I did. But the way I look at it your dog is not being judged against the other dogs, it is being judged on the test. So the placement of the decoy is no big deal... Just get the bird.
    Bill Davis

Lighten up and just have some fun, dogs tangled in decoys hunting or tests has been happening for many moons. Like huntinman says just get the bird and if the pup happens to drag a decoy in to the line no one is going to care if he has the bird.
    DLM

" Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Condon View Post
    Senior test, water mark. Decoys placed at point in front of gun, not in the area of the fall. Early dog gets tangled and the decoy ends up in the area of the fall. Judges discuss and choose to leave it there. Thoughts please. I was anxious my girl may get caught up in it but lucked out and the bird was blown away
    If your asking if the decoy should be moved back to the main spread, I would answer yes, I would do that. ONLY because I do not like to have road signs pointing to the bird and in most cases, a bird in the decoys is much easier to find. Not because a dog might get tangled up again. Working thru decoy line is part of the game.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

The test is now different then what the "early" dogs ran. It would take one minute to put the decoy back where the judge originally placed it.