RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2014 (GDG)

378K views 3K replies 109 participants last post by  Migillicutty 
#1 ·
With SEC Media Days almost over with, it's time to get this started. With there be no better place to watch a CFB game, it's probably well worth starting this off about LSU & Death Valley. DV will be louder than ever, & I can't wait for that game in Nov against a certain team. Soooo, enjoy the video.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

Go Tigahs!!!!

[video]http://vimeo.com/m/89715017[/video]

#1,933 ·
Having been in this same position as an Alabama fan, a resounding yes IF he can do what needs to be done and get all the clutter out of his way. Alabama finally got desperate enough to go find the best guy out there, open up the checkbook, and give him pretty much complete autonomy in running the program. Seems to be going well so far.

#1,935 ·
i heard harbaugh was going to auburn as quarterback coach for $10m. he will help the gus/mus crew get their qb's tattoos in proper alignment and show them qb's how to keep the bills of their caps pointed slightly sideways and verry verrrrry flat.

#1,936 ·
OK, all you College Football experts, here's a chance to strut your stuff!

It's ESPN's College Football Bowl Mania
http://games.espn.go.com/college-bowl-mania/2014/en/group?groupID=85688

I created a group for RTF named "Fetch" with the motto "Quiet!". ;-)

Rank your picks according to the confidence of your picks.

Good luck and may the best RTF "College Football trash-talker" win.

#1,937 ·
As much as I would LOVE Harbaugh to come home, I doubt he will. He has previously said he wasn't interested, and his wife doesn't like winter. It would be the shot in the buttock the UM needs. I wait for his response.

Part of me would like to see a relatively "unknown" come to UM like Bo was when he came. That person would have EVERYTHING to prove and I think be a good refresh to the program. However there is a lot of "baggage" (politics) here, you'd need someone to say he's only interested in football like Bo was. I don't care what anyone says Bo was VERY involved in the program after he "retired". Our losses really started the day he died. That next season was abysmal.

I do miss Michigan football......

#1,939 ·
As a die hard Buckeye fan I want them to hire Harbaugh or someone really good. I have enjoyed watching my Buckeyes womp UM (kinda made up for the pain in the 1990s) but it would be more fun to have a real rival. M*ch*gan needs someone to come in and make the program good again.

#1,942 ·
successful probably not, but lets not forget Lou Holtz had a run at an NFL career before finding success at the college level, Gene Stallings went from college to pros to college and winning it all at Bama...and Pete Carroll went from the NFL to winning it all at USC and now at Seattle

add John Robinson to that list

#1,951 ·
For some reason people think that an individual teams style and play is an indictment or reflection on the entire conference. Nothing could be further from the truth. The perennial powerhouses are going to kick ass no matter what their conference affiliation. The bowl games are all about who really wants to be there and which staff knows how to prepare it's team . Conference ties mean nothing

#1,960 ·
No by meaningless, I mean neither USC or Nebraska or LSU, Notre Dame and a bunch of other teams deserve to play in a Bowl game. Let the champions of each conference play and maybe some one or two loss teams, but that's it. Being invited to a bowl used to be something special, having USC get in just because they are USC just cheapens it.

#1,959 ·
TAMU trying to court Chief (John Chavis.) as their new DC. No way would he leave, but I couldn't blame him for a better contract. FTR, LSU put out a new contract & extension for him, it hasn't been signed. Maybe he will get some leverage from TAMU. Either way, Chief is as good as they come.

#1,962 ·
Jabob, I appreciate LSU, I think they are a fine program, but 8-4 is hardly a good record for a program that should be striving for a championship. Same with USC, both teams have talent and can turn it around quickly, but don't tell me you're not disappointed in your team this year. You sound like my old Architect partner Lee, an ASU alum. For years he was satisfied with moral victories as, we held in there pretty good against Stanford or USC. Now his team is finally beating Stanford and USC and he is setting higher goals. I'm not going to watch the Trojans against Nebraska, I'll go hunting that day, better use of time.

#1,963 ·
Jabob's comment and my reply got me thinking, by what criteria do you judge your team's season? I start of with an undefeated season leading to a National title, kind of like going into a field trial with a double header in mind. For my team one loss is a good effort, two losses is ok, three is bad and four losses is a disaster. On top of that we have to beat Notre Dame and UCLA, wins against both take the pain off a bad year, a loss to either can make a good year bad. How about you guys?

#1,967 ·
John - I think your expectations are unrealistic - these are young people, bad chemistry (poor fits at skill positions) can ruin a season.
As McG said it's extra practices for the team, which can turn out to be better for the team. Besides that, it keeps the young men with
big batteries doing something constructive :).

#1,964 ·
With so much emphasis on the Final Four it made many premier bowl games less than attractive. Bowl games should be a reward for a good season. UT going to a bowl game with a 6-6 record is shameful.

#1,968 ·
franco, i have been away and didn't get to enter the prediction thingy. in years past it has been proven statistically that i would have ended up being correct 42% of the time. let me know where i end up in the rankings based on my past performance.;-)

as for the bowl games:
-like marvin said, the extra practice is the big thing that is good
-like timmc said, the conference records are fun to talk until recruiting takes over
-bowl games are great places for players to meet agents and get your team put on ncaa sanctions
-bowl games make money for teams and confernces
-bowl games stimulate local economies with tourism, advertising, event coordination and a couple of full time jobs year round
-bowl games matter. congrats to the memphis tigers on a ten win season(they almost beat ucla too). i saw a little of the game with byu and it was a great game to watch. if you think bowl games don't matter to some of these teams, watch this game........THEN WATCH WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT ENDED IN OVERTIME!!!!;-)

#1,970 ·
dont look now but Franco and I are 7-0 in Bowl Mania Pick em....and I havent bet on any of them...never started this well before...

#1,975 ·
Did you guys see where Pretender State University { or to some the "CrimiNOLES"} extended Jimbo another 8 years?
Is this a case of rewarding mediocrity?
It would seem so by reading some of the comments on here that even though they are the ONLY UNDEFEATED team this year as well as being the Defending Natl Champ and having 29 wins in a row, didn't merit a berth in this years Final 4.
So for those of you who call them PSU do you think that FSU just overpaid for an underachiever?:)

#1,978 ·
I've been a dedicated FSU fan since I was a little kid and ran into a similar individual on Christmas. I'll agree that Florida State isn't a world beating, dominant, powerhouse. They've had some close games with some poor teams - BUT, they ALWAYS win. 29 times in a row. Don't count them out just yet. The only reason someone wouldn't want them in the Playoffs - jealousy. Like that of a high school senior whose boyfriend dumped her to take a prettier girl to prom. GO 'NOLES!!! :)

#1,977 ·
instead of a contract extension they shoulda got jimbo "hair extensions". i saw him with his cap off the other day.......jimbo, do not lose the hat!!!!!;-)

as far as football goes, and related to his peers(there are few), it is very well deserved imho.

#1,979 ·
#1,980 ·
Here is the mid-bowl season report card;-)

Lots of games left with lots of points to be had. Anyone could still win this thing!

Interesting article in USA Today - TV fuels Bowls Boom

39 bowl games - All broadcast by ESPN or ABC, both owned by Disney - ESPN Events owns & operates 11 bowl games -
The Famous Potato bowl had a crowd of 18,223 but 1.45 million viewers - they get very good rating relatively -

BTW - If I finish anywhere but at the bottom, the rest of you suck at prognosticating!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.