RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2014 (GDG)

378K views 3K replies 109 participants last post by  Migillicutty 
#1 ·
With SEC Media Days almost over with, it's time to get this started. With there be no better place to watch a CFB game, it's probably well worth starting this off about LSU & Death Valley. DV will be louder than ever, & I can't wait for that game in Nov against a certain team. Soooo, enjoy the video.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

Go Tigahs!!!!

[video]http://vimeo.com/m/89715017[/video]

#1,778 ·
I told my friends 3 weeks ago that the pundits wouldnt be happy unless ohio st got a spot and low and behold. I agree with Bon third to six is bs. Ohio will get spanked like the last 2 times they backed into the championship. I dont have anything against ohio but the pundits want the big 10 to be what they once were but they are not, they just ruined my favorite sport with this purely political pic give me the computer were strength of schedule matters not strength of opinion

#1,781 ·
You are correct Matt they have a better strength of schedule (8 points) I still think droping from 3 to 6 is bs they handled their business and could have scored more but took a knee. I played in college (at one of the sec teams)and love the game but this has a real smell to it. Plus I would like to see the tide play baylor or tcu because of the down field threats I think it would be tougher for bama (run defense is tough and pass d not so much) ROLL TIDE

#1,782 ·
I grew up in Columbus in the interest of full disclosure but have no extra special interest in OSU other than it being a hometown team of sorts. I really think the whole process was a way of drilling the Big 12 for not having a conference championship game. Take that for what you will, but it appears the "committee" likes seeing what a team does under the pressure of that environment. In all honesty, if TCU had played Baylor in their regular season game last night, instead of earlier, I bet they or Baylor would have ended up 4th even with a 61-58 repeat. Playing the Cyclones last just destroyed TCU, regardless of score, given who everyone else was playing.

#1,786 ·
To deal with 128 teams in FB it takes 7 weeks - in BB it takes a little over 3 - but everyone who is bowl eligible should be able to participate!
In BB NJIT can take down mighty UNC, not so much in FB.

#1,787 ·
Marvin ye olde dropkicker, NJIT beat Meesheegan in hoops, not not UNC (and neither of them is particularly "mighty" this year).

For "everyone who is bowl eligible" to compete in a D1 football playoff would take it into March - and hey, whaddya got? Why, March Madness Sport Deux!

Sixteen is the right number of participants - shave a regular season game from everybody's schedule, shave the FCS creampuffs and have the Power Five schools play nine conference games, and you got a template for success.

MG

#1,790 ·
Marvin ye olde dropkicker, NJIT beat Meesheegan in hoops, not not UNC (and neither of them is particularly "mighty" this year).

For "everyone who is bowl eligible" to compete in a D1 football playoff would take it into March - and hey, whaddya got? Why, March Madness Sport Deux!

Sixteen is the right number of participants - shave a regular season game from everybody's schedule, shave the FCS creampuffs and have the Power Five schools play nine conference games, and you got a template for success.

MG
When I was in HS the local college (Dakota Wesleyan) FB got off a 63 yarder if my memory serves me :confused:

16 is probably a good number - no one would be left out that deserved to be there - but it's still about
the money & I can't see anyone giving up a game -

#1,791 ·
6 wins makes a team bowl eligible. Any team that gets invited will take it. It's not just about the revenue. Some of these teams could lose money in the small crappy bowls. They have to take a certain amount of tickets and pay for travel etc. it is about the practices. The coaches want those extra days of practice which they are not allowed per NCAA rules if they are not in a bowl.

#1,792 ·
First, congrats on the undefeated season, doesn't matter how close the games were, you guys beat everybody you played. Regarding the bowl game and extra practices, I can see why a coach would want to extend the season any way they can, I just don't believe a six win team is bowl worthy regardless of the rule.

#1,800 ·
4 teams is plenty. tcu and baylor are just fortunate they have something to whine about.

if this were last year florida state would be playing alabama and the ducks and bucks would be squalling their eyes out. the college football playoff starts at the end of august. keep it that way!

#1,803 ·
I say all or nothing. If we aren't going to have a meaningful end of the season playoff system, then just eliminate the pretend #1-4 and go back to when we all argued about how we got robbed by the coaches and AP poll when they picked the National Champion. That was still fun and it was what it was.

#1,804 ·
John, I'm with you. Both the BCS and the current 4 team play-off puts all the emphasis on just a couple of teams---really one team. A team, say Mississippi State or TCU, can have fantastic seasons, but their accomplishments seem diminished. Actually, it seems that a team that loses during the season and is out of the final four, has really dropped the ball, in spite of the fact that they are really damn good teams. A lot of teams from 5th through 20th have had seasons to be proud of. It seems that us Americans have to have a numero uno, the best, a champion.

Cutty, congratulations on FSU having an undefeated season--a substantial accomplishment after a National Championship the prior year. I like to talk smack about the Duck's opponents, including Florida State, but the truth of the matter is that I think FSU is one heck of an opponent. Lets hope that it is a good game. (Actually, thats not true. I want Oregon to blow Florida State out. I don't want it close, with me pacing around--nervous, knocking back beers) I think that it will be interesting to see how West Coast ball measures up against Southeast ball. I have spent my share of time knocking how the pundits overrate some of these southern and eastern teams. I think with some of the great match-ups in these bowl games that we are going to be able to get a clearer picture of what conferences are really the dominant ones.

#1,805 ·
John, I'm with you. Both the BCS and the current 4 team play-off puts all the emphasis on just a couple of teams---really one team. A team, say Mississippi State or TCU, can have fantastic seasons, but their accomplishments seem diminished. Actually, it seems that a team that loses during the season and is out of the final four, has really dropped the ball, in spite of the fact that they are really damn good teams. A lot of teams from 5th through 20th have had seasons to be proud of. It seems that us Americans have to have a numero uno, the best, a champion.

Cutty, congratulations on FSU having an undefeated season--a substantial accomplishment after a National Championship the prior year. I like to talk smack about the Duck's opponents, including Florida State, but the truth of the matter is that I think FSU is one heck of an opponent. Lets hope that it is a good game. (Actually, thats not true. I want Oregon to blow Florida State out. I don't want it close, with me pacing around--nervous, knocking back beers) I think that it will be interesting to see how West Coast ball measures up against Southeast ball. I have spent my share of time knocking how the pundits overrate some of these southern and eastern teams. I think with some of the great match-ups in these bowl games that we are going to be able to get a clearer picture of what conferences are really the dominant ones.
Auburn and LSU come to mind.;-)

#1,810 ·
I agree to a point John. There isn't a team whose fans don't talk up their team . OSU got beat badly by LSU and Fla several years ago in the NCS. Most realistic fans will tell you we had no business being there against LSU, but every other team that had a chance that year folded like a house of cards. Whatever, that was then and this is now.
We did beat Arkansas a few years back and also Oregon in the Rose Bowl.
Alabama is the best year in and year out , and if the Bucks want some respect this is our chance.
I think FSU pounds Oregon in the Rose Bowl, although I'll be rooting for the Ducks.

#1,812 ·
in saturday's acc championship game jameis winston showed me something. for almost an entire season jameis winston showed that if he needed only to play poorly(by the standard he set last season) to win, he could do it. saturday he showed that if he needed to play flawlessly to win, he could still do that too.

the running back has been instrumental in fsu's come from behind wins in the season's second half too. the tight end freaks me out, he is almost like another jason whitten at tennessee.

after saturday i do not think jameis winston will lose a college game. it is somewhat painful for me to put in print.

#1,813 ·
after saturday i do not think jameis winston will lose a college game. it is somewhat painful for me to put in print.
Did you come to this conclusion following FSU's total domination of Georgia Tech? They did not even cover the spread, do you think there was some gambling hanky panky going on or are they just 2 points better than GT?

#1,819 · (Edited)
The last TD by GT was garbage. FSU in prevent aided by a penalty. Other than that GT had one good drive that resulted in points in the second half. Once FSUs defense settled in they played well and got stops which is typical facing that type of O. Factor in the best DL on the team went down on the first series for the whole game and the freshman LB who started for an injured T SMith went out in the first quarter forcing smith back in on numb knee, and losing a starting corner factored in to the first half points for tech. Fortunately all those guys will be back for the playoff. The defense is def young and been plagued by injury.

#1,817 ·
There seems to be two explanations for FSU's small margins of victory:

1. RoseHoneyBerry's that they just play hard enough to win. That somehow they have such awesome power that they can play "cat & mouse" with any team they play. These believers don't bother to compare the facts, for example USC's performance against Notre Dame and FSU's play against the same team

2. The other explanation that seems to be ignored by many is that they are a so-so team that barely manage to best mediocre teams.

#1,818 ·
There are some other factors that might need to be taken into account.

One being that the running game sucked behind a line with a fresh at center and a back that doesn't have great feel. Move an NFL tackle to center and give the bulk of the carries to a freshman phenom that finally learned enough of an extremely complex offense to be trusted really helped FSU from an offensive standpoint.

That many of the slow starts were due to Jameis pressing. Feeling like he had to do too much and overthinking. When they got down he reverted to being who he is.

Factor in 7 teams they played had extra time to prepare which allowed them to "break tendency" from an offensive perspective and stressed a young defense enabling them to jump out to a lead.

Then factor that they have a bigger target on their back than any team in football right now and they couldn't possibly get as "up" for the game as their opponents would.

But don't worry schaeffer. Oregon has nothing to worry about. They have played lots of teams with FSUs combo of speed and power and seen many opponents with 8-10 NFL draft picks on their roster. I expect a drubbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.