The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 121

Thread: Desecration of Robert E. Lee grave in the name of political correctness

  1. #61
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    2,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Migillicutty View Post
    I'm sure you have no idea what your talking about on this topic considering your previous comments.
    Easy to make a comment like that, with no facts or point to it.....are you suggesting that the Colonies independently made a decision to become part of the British empire, as the states independently decided to join the union?

    Migillicutty...I have seen other comments like this from others on this site....don't suppose you are one of those, using a new posting name.....???!!
    Last edited by swampcollielover; 07-18-2014 at 05:37 PM.

  2. #62
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    2,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Let's say if a dozen states decided to leave the Union today, what would happen? I have no doubt Obama would do like Lincoln. It would be another bloodbath. But I do think it would be a victory for the States that left. I do not think Obama could get his 47 % on Welfare to pick up arms and fight.. Texas along with some other states could mount a formidable Militia.
    The key question here is would the U. S. Military fight for Obama? It always comes down to that when countries revolt!

  3. #63
    Senior Member .44 magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Ironically, my husband and I just a couple of weeks ago had the opportunity to tour the Antietam Battlefield. Regardless of the "real" cause of the war, there is no debate about the cost in human life to our country. "The battle was over by 5:30 p.m. Losses for the day were heavy on both sides. The Union had 12,401 casualties with 2,108 dead. Confederate casualties were 10,318 with 1,546 dead. This represented 25% of the Federal force and 31% of the Confederate.[3] More Americans died in battle on September 17, 1862, than on any other day in the nation's military history."

    This was in ONE day's fighting! The total number of dead for the entire battle exceeds by several times our total losses in Iraq. Each General, in trying to win his portion of the fight, committed human beings to impossible situations. Robert E. Lee was fighting for the confederate flag, so it is right that it should appear at HIS memorial. Just as Grant should probably have the version of the Union flag that was accurate at the time. Either way, you can call them great generals because of their determination to win for their side, but in the end, what was gained by the sacrifice of all of these men? Slavery was already on the verge of dieing out as an unsustainable system. So my question is why would you want to honor Lee's grave with a flag other than the one he lost all those men for???

    BTW, I have a nephew at W&L. He is no die hard Rebel. It will be interesting to hear his take on all of this.
    Visiting the battlefields is a moving experience. I remember going to Gettysburg about 30 years ago like it was yesterday. The souls who died certainly haunt those fields. The blood spilled never to be washed from the soil.

    http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...-animated-map/
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith



  4. #64
    Senior Member Migillicutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Aubrey, Tx
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Easy to make a comment like that, with no facts or point to it.....are you suggesting that the Colonies independently made a decision to become part of the British empire, as the states independently decided to join the union?

    Migillicutty...I have seen other comments like this from others on this site....don't suppose you are one of those, using a new posting name.....???!!
    Your comments about slavery and then doubling down on the slavery issue with the silly statement about historians. I read this board all the time don't always comment. You don't have talking points on this issue so you are flying by the seat of your pants.

  5. #65
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    2,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Migillicutty View Post
    Your comments about slavery and then doubling down on the slavery issue with the silly statement about historians. I read this board all the time don't always comment. You don't have talking points on this issue so you are flying by the seat of your pants.
    Well, you are entertaining if nothing else! I commented on "the States joined the Union voluntarily, the Colonies, were not part of the British Crown voluntarily!" and you make a comment regarding an earlier slavery comment. Either your timing is a bit off, or maybe you just feel the need to blow some noise my way.

    Not a problem, but even in this comment you provide no "taking points" so following your logic, "you are flying by the seat of your pants".....!

  6. #66
    Senior Member .44 magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    The key question here is would the U. S. Military fight for Obama? It always comes down to that when countries revolt!
    My guess is a big no... he has not done one thing to support our Veterans. Let alone our active troops.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith



  7. #67
    Senior Member Migillicutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Aubrey, Tx
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Well, you are entertaining if nothing else! I commented on "the States joined the Union voluntarily, the Colonies, were not part of the British Crown voluntarily!" and you make a comment regarding an earlier slavery comment. Either your timing is a bit off, or maybe you just feel the need to blow some noise my way.

    Not a problem, but even in this comment you provide no "taking points" so following your logic, "you are flying by the seat of your pants".....!
    That is called moving the goal posts. You commented earlier about Lincoln and slavery and I made a concise argument with many factual points that opposed that point of view. You ignored it. Now you move the goal posts and expect an answer? I don't have the inclination to debate with someone only on their terms who has shown they don't have a good grasp of the topic or doesn't want to discuss the initial argument. Hope that makes sense to you. It has nothing to do with me wanting to blow noise at you. It has everything to do with me saying you aren't worth my time in this discussion. If you care to go back and address your original comments and my reply I'd be happy to debate.

  8. #68
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    2,180

    Default

    i am not much on history but i will say, if we had sent General William Tecumseh Sherman to viet nam and General Nathan Bedford Forrest to iraq and afganistan things woulda been different!

    ken always has musical quotes so here goes,

    "i hope ken b. will rememba,
    a southern man don't need him around anyhow!"

    keep sending the maple sap though!
    john mccallie

  9. #69
    Senior Member Henlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    What I find surprising is the lack of resistance on part of the university. On the internet it is of course WW3, but there is no wide spread protests on campus.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

  10. #70
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    ....ken always has musical quotes so here goes,

    "i hope ken b. will rememba,
    a southern man don't need him around anyhow!"

    keep sending the maple sap though!


    thats great, I love it!
    BTW Mr. Young from Canada, Ay?

    Oh, and may I ask. For real.
    if as somebody typed 94% of the rebels did not own slaves and were fighting for state rights.
    Well.....
    Them "Boys From Vermont" who owned no slaves at all. Not a single slave, at all.
    'zactly what were they a fighting for on Little Round Top those two days?
    When they held the ground and laid the mini-balls down and showed who had the muster.
    I'll tell ya what. The Union that we all call the United States of America.


    Like I typed, if ya all wanted to keep a flyin' that flag, ya all sould have fought harder. But ya didn't, did ya?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •