The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Desecration of Robert E. Lee grave in the name of political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    That's it, if you can't stand the heat, run out of the kitchen?

Swampy, you really need to refrain on commenting on anything Historical, you get busted every time!

Stick with the simple material like; all Dems are bad, all Repubs are good and how much you hate Obama.
    Franco...as always you really are not good with details....notice that in my above post which you refer to I am leading 'Migillicutty' on how to put 'ME' on his ignore list. I would not block him, as he is just so very entertaining.....a lot like you....! I know it is hard, but at least try and get the topic of my posts correct, before you go blowing a fuse at me!
    .....have a good day...

Quote Originally Posted by Migillicutty View Post
    Everyone knows who you are swamp, the board clown, who regurgitates talking points from conservative news outlets. I think most would be surprised if they someday found out you had a cogent thought in your head.
    Funny how you try and support yourself by trying to make your 'opinions' the opinion of 'others'.....I of course know that a some liberals, and others here take issue with me.

That is why I keep coming back, not for support but for discussion and debate. Unlike you, I am comfortable in my own skin, and seek no one else for support. My opinions are mine, and I stand by those opinions....! BY THE WAY, I THOUGHT YOU DID NOT WANT TO CONTINUE THIS DISCUSSION?

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Isn't this the reason today many of us have a disconnect with Obama ? He was never able to bring the country together and has divided the nation more? He wants the federal government to supersede States Rights in almost every case.

In States like my own most voters like him and his policies.. the Blue States... but the RED states are the new South... it is like the Red States have no more representation because Congress has allowed Obama to reign, and not govern.
    Gerry and .44 magnum....well said...!

In interesting fact was that in 1865, after the Civil War ended.... Robert E. Lee was named President of then Washington University... and after his death trustees changed the University to add his name... Times do change, don't they... Robert E. Lee was not jailed or tried for treason.... The Union did take his Virgina Plantation and made it into Arlington National Cemetery ...

The historical nature of the Confederate flag is rightly in his tomb.. it is not on public display so it can't be offensive. The new leadership of this University is acting in poor faith to those who thought so much of Robert E. Lee in that they changed the name of the school.

Wars end, and countries and soldiers are forgiven. The Victors get to write the history and then teach that to their children. It is almost always not entirely truthful.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/his...gtonHouse.aspx
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Isn't this the reason today many of us have a disconnect with Obama ? He was never able to bring the country together and has divided the nation more? He wants the federal government to supersede States Rights in almost every case.
    Yes, I do believe that is the reason for the disconnect.

Today the states' rights issue now stands clearly apart from the slavery issue.

More Americans died in the Civil War than any other US conflict ... to hold the Union together. Lincoln may have over-stepped his bounds as POTUS to accomplish that, but it would be hard to imagine the continental US divided much like Europe is divided. We can see how any kind of European Union is so difficult to operate.

After shedding so much American blood to hold the Union together, it is now especially difficult to listen to political rhetoric that sets class against class, race against race, and income group against income group. I especially don't like how liberals (including the POTUS) mock "the loyal opposition" by calling those who disagree "deniers" or "Flat-earthers" or "warring on women" or "racists" or from potty-mouth Maher, worse. The POTUS sets an example ... a bad one or a good one.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Migillicutty View Post
    The South wasn't on the wrong side of history and they are very much worse off for having lost the war. They are not better off as the northern text book writers and historians would have us believe. Slavery would have been gone shortly afterwards whoever had won. In fact Virginia was the first state to ban the slave trade.
    I'm not sure how "shortly" slavery would have been ended. When we look at how long it took to overcome Jim Crow laws and the discrimination that still can exist (though not nearly as universal as the Ds' rhetoric would have us believe), I'm not sure it wouldn't have taken much longer.

That said, it would have been better if cooler heads had prevailed, and a non-violent way to reconcile had taken place.

We can't change that history, but hopefully we will have learned from it?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Lincoln Unmasked (I had a dyslexic moment and the title was backwards.)

A nice read which only takes about 3 hours, depending on how fast you read, but it gives another perspective of Lincoln. Sure there are others which only are band wagon Lincoln but this give something to think about.
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 07-21-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: title

It has always fascinated me how in our country we always have people who tear down our history. Regardless of who you support or what side of the fence you are on. Someone will come along and write a book or make a documentary to tear down that person. Even Jesus! Admittedly, an extreme example, but pick a great leader, president, war hero, social reformist, etc. and someone (sometimes many someones) will try and tear them down and discredit them.

Of course it is all about greed, pick a big name, write a book tearing them down, and sell lots of books. Some books are credible, some are not...no matter they still sell. I guess that is part of the price of our Republic and the free press....the key here is that the American people think through what they read or are hearing from talking heads and use some critical thinking to evaluate truth from fact. Good acts vs. bad acts.....! This is where we seem to be failing most....we actually seem to pick the worst candidates for election....having to vote for not the two best and brightest, but for one of two bad options.....crazy we are!

At my age I understand that all of our great men and women in this country are just humans, they all have mistakes to account for. But, in many cases they also have demonstrated unusually strong leadership, perseverance, and in many cases down right bravery. The challenge is to weigh these factors, separate fact from fiction and then we must act based on our findings/perception. Hope we get it right in the next election...!
    Last edited by swampcollielover; 07-21-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Accidentally wandered over here and saw the thread title. Not caring to plow through the pages of flagellation just let me state a simple fact. The flags in question are in the W&L chapel. Not, repeat, NOT in General Lee's "tomb."
    Not that facts are likely to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Accidentally wandered over here and saw the thread title. Not caring to plow through the pages of flagellation just let me state a simple fact. The flags in question are in the W&L chapel. Not, repeat, NOT in General Lee's "tomb."
    Not that facts are likely to matter.
    His tomb is called the Little Chapel and the flags are there. I think they'd already been removed from what you are calling the Chapel, where public meetings are held.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981