The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GDG Pistols

Default GDG Pistols

Purchasing a compact pistol soon and there are tons of choices. I want to stay in the $500-$600 range;Glock,S&W,ect and .40-.45.
    Thought my mind was made up with the Glock 36 in .45 but handled the M&P Shield in .40 today and really like how it fit my hand.
    Price is almost identical so that's not an issue, anyone have either of these and have some insight?
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Purchasing a compact pistol soon and there are tons of choices. I want to stay in the $500-$600 range;Glock,S&W,ect and .40-.45.
    Thought my mind was made up with the Glock 36 in .45 but handled the M&P Shield in .40 today and really like how it fit my hand.
    Price is almost identical so that's not an issue, anyone have either of these and have some insight?
    I own three Glocks. Don't think you can go wrong with them.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

I have shot tactical and the instructors and a lot of the shooters are ex SpecOps guys. You won't see anything but Glocks at that range. I know some people don't love the feel of the Glock, but I do and from a reliability stand point it just can't be beaten. I haven't shot the M&P but I have shot several Sigs and I do not like the double action. I want a trigger pull that is identical from the first shot to the last with a short clean break. Makes for tighter more accurate groupings, especially on double taps coming off the draw.

Not a pistol guy (shotgun) but why would trigger pull change from first to last?
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Not a pistol guy (shotgun) but why would trigger pull change from first to last?
    First shot is double action, subsequent shots are single action.

Firing the first shot cocks the hammer back after ejecting the shell. Some others are hammerless so each shot is the same pull.

I have an XD Compact in .40 that I like shooting. It is not the slim version though and I use an extended magazine for the best fit because I have large hands. Its really what feels best in your hand. Compacts are pretty hard to hit much past 10 yards so that is my in house gun. A 1911 is hard to beat for feel and shootability but its a little more complicated to operate and carry.
    Last edited by IowaBayDog; 07-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.

My vote is for the M&P Shield, got one in a 9mm and love it.

I would shoot each to see which you like the best. Also, don't rule out the Springfields or Kahrs. There will be one pistol that fits better and you shoot better than the rest.

Buck

I wont own another without a manual safety. didnt feel safe carrying it or having it in the house. i had the S&W sigma .40 that was molded after the Glock (even got sued by glock for it) and i just didnt like the feeling of not having a manual safety. the only safety was the "dual hinge" trigger and no matter what they said i didnt want to trust my life to that

now have a Kimber 1911 and love it. my next will probably be the beretta px4 in compact or sub compact

Raymond, I have a S&W .38 Sp Airweight with Laser Grip. Nice gun. But during the summer, I find myself carrying my little .22 mag by North American Arms most of the time... (It's same as the Pug). For self defense, the average shot is pretty darn close.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Bill Davis

If you want a .45 check out the Springfield XD-S. That has been my off duty gun. I carry it in a Cross Breed Super Tuck holster. I love combination.

Very concealable, shoots well.

They also make this gun in 9 mm. It functions very much like the Glock. It
    Does have a grip safety. If you are looking for something smaller the Glock
    42 is very nice.
    Last edited by Chris Thiry; 07-17-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added info