The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GDG Pistols

Springfield Armory XDM 9mm.......

Really nice pistol! Not the best for carry,,but I do

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Kimber=$$$$$!!!!!
    in my dreams, just don't think I need that much Bling to shoot someone.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

That's the beauty of the glock. All the others are just trying to replicate it. Lightweight, simple, easy to clean, most reliable pistol around. There is a reason it is preferred by those who do the most shooting in the worst places.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Purchasing a compact pistol soon and there are tons of choices. I want to stay in the $500-$600 range;Glock,S&W,ect and .40-.45.
    Thought my mind was made up with the Glock 36 in .45 but handled the M&P Shield in .40 today and really like how it fit my hand.
    Price is almost identical so that's not an issue, anyone have either of these and have some insight?
    As some has said, you will never go wrong with a Glock. I love mine.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Not a pistol guy (shotgun) but why would trigger pull change from first to last?
    In autoloading handguns, there's really four different actions.

Double Action Only (DAO).
    Single Action Only (SAO).
    Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA).

And the last one (which is often said to be DAO) Striker Fired.
    It really isn't DAO, SAO, or DA/SA.

A 1911 is SAO.
    You have to have the hammer cocked in order to fire.
    The slide subsequently cocks the hammer each time the gun is fired.
    So, the trigger pull is always the same from the first to the last shot.
    And the trigger pull is also really light and short.

It is not safe to carry a SAO auto with a round in the chamber, and the hammer down.
    These guns are designed to be carried "locked and cocked". If you must carry with the hammer down, make sure that the chamber is empty.

A true DAO handgun is hard to find. The best example I can think of, is the SIG P250.
    These have hammers, but they cannot be cocked.
    The trigger pulls the hammer back. So, the trigger pull is really heavy, and really long.
    But, it is consistent from the first to the last round.

It is safe to carry a DAO auto with a round chambered.

A Beretta M9 (92fs) is a DA/SA.
    The gun can be fired without cocking the hammer. And it can also be fired with the hammer cocked. The slide cocks the hammer every time the gun fires.
    Since the trigger must cock the hammer when the hammer is not already cocked, it changes the trigger pull a great deal when going from the first shot (double action) to the second and subsequent shots (single action).

The initial DA pull is long and heavy. The SA pull is light and crisp. It is safe to carry a DA/SA auto with a round chambered, and the hammer down. It's not safe to carry "locked and cocked".

And lastly, the Striker Fired.
    Glocks, M&Ps, XDs and any other semi-auto handgun without a hammer is Striker Fired.
    They cannot be cocked without racking the slide, and they cannot be fired without being cocked.
    The slide cocks the striker. Your thumb can't.

The trigger does typically pull the striker back a little bit before dropping it, so it's a little heavier and longer of a pull than a SAO trigger. But, it's always the same from the first to the last shot fired. It is safe to carry a Striker Fired auto with a round in the chamber. It's not possible to have a round in the chamber without the gun being "locked and cocked".

If you look at these different actions analytically, you'll see that they all have compromises.
    For most people, the Striker Fired option is the best compromise.

It's safe to carry ready to fire, without a great deal of training.

However, if you have received proper training, the SAO and DA/SA actions do have some advantages.
    And the DA/SA does provide a bit of flexibility.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 07-17-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Copterdoc so you think there is no way when pulling this gun out or returning it back or if it catches on something that this hinged trigger will not go off? In the heat of the moment I don't want to think "I better pull this out gently so it doesn't snag on something" don't get me wrong it's obviously been tested millions upon millions of times it's just a personal trust issue. That trigger tip and the way it's just waiting to be engaged with the rest of the trigger just scares me. Plus the trigger pull was ridiculously long. I'll stick to my hammer fired 1911 cocked and locked or da/sa with a decocker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 07-17-2014 at 11:55 PM.

That's what I like about revolvers. You want it to go bang, you pull the trigger. No jams. Reliable as they come. Mine is an airweight, so only 5 shots... Hope like hell I never need that many.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    Copterdoc so you think there is no way when pulling this gun out or returning it back or if it catches on something that this hinged trigger will not go off?
    No, I think that it requires deliberate action(s) on the part of the operator in order to make the gun fire.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    ...In the heat of the moment I don't want to think "I better pull this out gently so it doesn't snag on something" don't get me wrong it's obviously been tested millions upon millions of times it's just a personal trust issue. That trigger tip and the way it's just waiting to be engaged with the rest of the trigger just scares me. Plus the trigger pull was ridiculously long. I'll stick to my hammer fired 1911 cocked and locked or da/sa with a decocker
    The long trigger pull on these DAO, DA/SA and Striker Fired pistols, is a major part of what eliminates the need for a manual safety on these guns.

You do need to remember to engage the safety on a 1911, or decock a DA/SA pistol before returning it to the holster.
    That's part of why I say that these actions demand significantly more training in order to be safely operated and carried.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    No, I think that it requires deliberate action(s) on the part of the operator in order to make the gun fire.

The long trigger pull on these DAO, DA/SA and Striker Fired pistols, is a major part of what eliminates the need for a manual safety on these guns.

You do need to remember to engage the safety on a 1911, or decock a DA/SA pistol before returning it to the holster.
    That's part of why I say that these actions demand significantly more training in order to be safely operated and carried.

such training is practiced regularly and i feel confident with my weapon(s) and more importantly myself hopefully i'll never need it but am adequately prepared if need be.

One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift