The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: GDG Pistols

For everyday carry I carry a Kel-tec P3AT in a slip case in my back pocket.

That being said... I, in the past, was not a fan of Glock. I'm a gunsmith and work on a variety of hand guns. I began to notice that Glock's were the only guns that only come in for upgrades. I have made repairs on the M&Ps and of course 1911 style pistols but I have never had to make a repair on a glock. That got me thinking.... I ran across a deal on a Glock 23c that was an officer's service weapon so I bought it. The cool thing is that for about $40 you can make it not shoot like a Glock anymore. An extended mag & slide release, helped handling. A 3.5 lbs disconnector and a new spring set took some travel out of the trigger. A little polishing and I have a glock that shoots more like a single action pistol. Don't get me wrong, you still know it's a stiker fired gun but for a small amount of $$$ it can be made to shoot way better.

Quote Originally Posted by B's Armory View Post
    A 3.5 lbs disconnector
    I would recommend everyone read Mas Ayoob's article in this months American Handgunner if they are considering using a modified handgun for self-defense. The other big no-no is using handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    must be nice where you live. nary a box of 9, .45, .380, or .38 special on the shelf anywhere here (along with .22 but thats nationwide). .40s can be found fairly easy. plus i would think .40s would be the round to have if the world went to the crapper. stockpiles of them in every police house (assuming marshall law had been declared)
    Our stores are full of ammo again and prices are reasonable sorta. I plan to spend plenty time on the range since this will be my first auto and while confident in my skilz with firearms, I have a lot to learn about these pistols.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I kinda wish I would have got the .45! There seems to be a LOT of ammo available for it now.

I bought the 9mm, and still struggle to find ammo in stores here..

I dont think I could reliably shoot a .45,,, I am a bit limp wristed!
    When I bought my Ruger SR 1911 .45 ACP a few years back ammo was scarce ... but plenty today on the shelves. It is a big gun, but the weight makes it easy to do well shooting.. The fit and finish on the Ruger 1911's is remarkable for a gun made in the USA with all American parts.

Ruger also employs a man who made some great training videos...

I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith