The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New US Rules for Importing Dogs

OMG!.......You have to be kidding

Quote Originally Posted by No Drive View Post
    I could care less if they close the boarder. The way Canadian government treats Americans could care less if US shuts the boarder off. Anyone with even as much as a 30 year old convictions for drunk driving stopped and not allowed into the country. Guns laws that are rediculous and now e-collar banning! Got plenty of top notch US bred dogs no need for anyone to bring a dog in from their. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by No Drive View Post
    I could care less if they close the boarder. The way Canadian government treats Americans could care less if US shuts the boarder off. Anyone with even as much as a 30 year old convictions for drunk driving stopped and not allowed into the country. Guns laws that are rediculous and now e-collar banning! Got plenty of top notch US bred dogs no need for anyone to bring a dog in from their. JMO
    I am from Canada and I do alot of cross border. I don't want to ever see the border shut. I know some laws appear ridiculous but a lot has changed over the years. Anyone from Canada can't get into your country if they have a conviction either. So the laws are interesting both ways. Keep the border open. And I don't think I can just bring a firearm into your country without talking to a specific department. I agree Ecollar banning is ridiculous but I don't think you can sell collars is Calif??? Correct me if I am wrong. Laws work in mysterious ways as they don't appear to have much common sense. But guess who makes them and they (the politicians) don't have much common sense! IMHO
    Last edited by Mary Lynn Metras; 07-18-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Hey you guys make sure you check it out for yourselves, on this end we have been getting different answers depending on who answers the phone- and Steve it doesn't hurt to ask for an exemption before you give up hope (all you have to do is send an email pleading your case- I'd make reference to the fact that your puppy purchase was planned in advance, you have travel plans booked, and that training for your particular dog is required to start at 8 weeks).

There is so much confusion that I am still hinging on the hope that this can't possibly be correct...

Scott I agree that this is so frustrating and disheartening, please if any of you guys learns something different than what I have posted, let me know.

This is the generic email response I got to my inquiry about alternatives (despite the fact that they say this is not new, the changes essentially make it 'new', and if it's not new why does it have an effective date in August and not immediately?!)

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. Your request for information on the new regulations on dog importation was forwarded to subject-matter experts at the appropriate CDC division. We hope you find their response helpful.

CDC's dog importation regulations require that dogs be fully immunized against rabies before being imported into the United States. The rabies vaccination must be administered no earlier than 12 weeks of age and must have been administered at least 30 days before arrival at a U.S. port of entry. Therefore, the youngest that a puppy may be imported to the United States is 4 months of age.

CDC's requirements are not new and have been in place for many years. CDC recently published Issuance and Enforcement Guidance for Dog Confinement Agreements (http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation...greements.html) that clarified the circumstances under which inadequately immunized dogs may be imported to the United States, provided that the importers of the dogs agree to confine the dogs until they are fully immunized. These confinement agreements are only intended to be used under limited circumstances where the importer of the dogs has no alternative to delay importing the dogs until they are fully immunized as required by CDC regulations.

The Issuance and Enforcement Guidance is effective on August 11, 2014. There are no blanket exemptions being given for importers of dogs purchased before the publication of the Issuance and Enforcement Guidance. CDC recommends that importers who have already purchased dogs make arrangements to delay the import of their dogs until the dogs are fully immunized against rabies. However, individual importers may contact CDC at CDCAnimalImports@cdc.gov<mailto:CDCA...orts@c dc.gov> to discuss their specific circumstances.

Links to nonfederal organizations are provided as a service. Links are not an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the federal government. CDC is not responsible for the content of organization websites found at these links.

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO. For more information, please call 1-800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636), visit www.cdc.gov and click on “Contact CDC-INFO,” or go to www.cdc.gov/info. This e-mail is being sent from an unmonitored mailbox and CDC-INFO will not respond. If you have questions or comments, please send them via our online form at www.cdc.gov/info.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Verizon and its subcontractors under the Networx Universal contract to CDC and ATSDR.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Just a note, for those that are just talking about Canada and the border....it's not. It's all countries. Apparently it is in response to dogs imported from Russia and Afghanistan with rabies according to a vet friend.

Sue
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Funny that the US is a country considered NOT free of rabies in the first place.
    George Billings
    And Scout
    Aurora CO
    In Memory
    "Tess" Amigold Duckus Takem - Miss her greatly

There is a street puppy express from Mexico....I would imagine it is intended to curb that more than responsibly bred working dogs....
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by GBUSMCR View Post
    Funny that the US is a country considered NOT free of rabies in the first place.
    Why would it be? There is rabies in wild animals such as raccoons, coyotes etc... Frequently... Be easy enough for a dog to get it if it wasn't vaccinated.
    Bill Davis

I agree Bill......But in a 7 week old puppy come on

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Why would it be? There is rabies in wild animals such as raccoons, coyotes etc... Frequently... Be easy enough for a dog to get it if it wasn't vaccinated.

By reading the links above I don't think this applies to dogs imported from rabies free countries. I think you have to sign an agreement that you will get the dog vaccinated and confine it for 30 days.

why dont we send them to the southern border and hand them out to the kids to bring in