The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New US Rules for Importing Dogs

Not great for breeders, but if as a buyer you get a 4 month old pup that has been well socialized by the breeder it is fantastic. So as a breeder you just charge extra for all the training and socialization you give... make it a win , win, for both parties.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    This type of post really doesn't deserve response but.....

It is is exactly the same law for Canadians entering the U.S no matter how long ago the offense was.

As for not "needing" Canadian blood in your FT lines you might want to rethink that one. Lean Mac comes to mind along with a host of other notables. Hard to say where some "so called" US blood lines would be without some of these imports.

Sorry you got denied entry at the border for an offense that occurred so long ago. I agree that law is ridiculous however there are literally tens of thousands of citizens from other countries who have had a lifetime ban from entry into the U.S. for the same thing. It's the same for just about every other so called "civilized" country in the world.

Life's not fair. Get over it and move on.
    According to U.S Customs a single DUI with prevent a U.S citizen from entering Canada, while a Canadian can enter the U.S, with a DUI.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses

Erin, I read that you must be approved but based on the below I wouldn't think it would be a problem getting approved for bringing a pup over from a rabies free country.

Importation of Unvaccinated Dogs
    Importation of unvaccinated dogs is allowed on a limited basis. Unvaccinated dogs may be imported only if they are coming from a rabies-free country (see below) or if they are being imported for use in scientific research where rabies vaccination would interfere with that research. Questions about importing unvaccinated dogs may be directed to CDC at CDCAnimalImports@cdc.gov.

Importation of Dogs from Rabies-free Countries
    Unvaccinated dogs may be imported without a requirement for proof of rabies vaccination if they have lived in a country that is considered free of rabies for a minimum of 6 months or since birth.

You are correct in saying that you have to have permission from the CDC but with the above I would think you would be ok.

Keep in mind that in order to get the pup at 4 months, that means getting the vaccination at 12 weeks. I personally wait as long as I can for rabies vac. Never for a 12 week pup.

blood orange- Canada is not considered rabies free. There is a list of 'rabies-free' countries on that link. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to get a puppy from one of those countries but I can only speak by my experience so far that it is not proving easy for people to import a puppy from Canada. I have requested more information and specifically inquired to find out if there is anyway a breeder could potentially expediate the process (perhaps by providing permanent ID and a veterinary confirmation that the puppy was born to a currently vaccinated mother?) I don't know, kinda grasping at straws here.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Golden6824- that is a valid point too, not really wild about the idea of vaccinating for rabies at 3 months myself.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    According to U.S Customs a single DUI with prevent a U.S citizen from entering Canada, while a Canadian can enter the U.S, with a DUI.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses
    Uh...anyone can enter the US... Just send your kids first.
    Bill Davis

Erin, it's a crazy regulation and I hope all works out for your clients. Keep us up to date on what you learn from the CDC.

Here's a thought/question....does this new law apply to pups shipped INTO Canada, or is it just one way? Just curious if this is a double edged sword or just one sided..
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Just applies to pups coming into the US.......We just stop people coming into Canada that have DUI charges......

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee Strange View Post
    Here's a thought/question....does this new law apply to pups shipped INTO Canada, or is it just one way? Just curious if this is a double edged sword or just one sided..