The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New US Rules for Importing Dogs

If you go up to Canada for a trial or test with a pup unvaccinated for rabies along for the ride, I wonder if the pup has to have the rabies shot and then stay in Canada until they are 4 months old or 30 days after the rabies shot if older than 4 months by then or whether that would be a basis for an exemption. Not all states in the U.S. require a rabies shot that early.

Brutal for Canadian breeders that have targeted US market!
    Last year i did cross the US border with 8 pups to Logan Intern. Airport (Boston) and flew those all over US.
    Never ad any problem with US border agent, i had sign by future owners Quarantine form, but i could see that it was getting more and more complicated.....

Personally guess i will go for B plan!
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Myers View Post
    If you go up to Canada for a trial or test with a pup unvaccinated for rabies along for the ride, I wonder if the pup has to have the rabies shot and then stay in Canada until they are 4 months old or 30 days after the rabies shot if older than 4 months by then or whether that would be a basis for an exemption. Not all states in the U.S. require a rabies shot that early.
    That would be worth looking into. But, since you are not 'importing' the puppy and it originated in the US, provided you could prove that, I sure would hope that is not something that would apply.

Alain, you have been lucky if you've been able to cross the border with 8 puppies without hassle. I had a few hassle-free trips like that to ship/deliver pups in the US and then started getting tagged as 'commercial' and had to do formal entry permits to be able to take my 'goods for sale' (puppies) into the US. I had already changed my own policy so that buyers would just come and get their own dog here in Canada to avoid that problem, but this new rule has made even that a huge concern.... can't win!!!
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I know, it look like it was my lucky day but i was very well prepare but still got lucky i know!
    I have the feeling i meant the right guy, @ the right time the right day, it was the senior agent and he saw very fast that i knew what i needed to cross the border.
    I stay 10 minutes inside and then gone for the airport......

Not sure i will keep pups up to 4 months age!
    They need to go to there home, get away of the litter, socialize properly and get house broken........me doing this properly on a 8- 10 pups litters...........OUF!!!!
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Myers View Post
    Since the rule will be interpreted by US Customs inspectors at the bottom of the food chain, I wouldn't put too much stock in your subtle interpretation. Chances are, if the pup hasn't had a rabies shot or had one less than 30 days before your crossing into the US, the pup would be stopped and a war of words would ensue. You'd lose ... a whale of a lot of time at the very least.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    That would be worth looking into. But, since you are not 'importing' the puppy and it originated in the US, provided you could prove that, I sure would hope that is not something that would apply.
    When ever you transport anything across the border, you are importing it, regardless of it's origin, or how it was acquired. Especially where Departments of Agriculture are concerned.
    You would be amazed with the trouble that ensues at the border, simply because of a missed exit on the highway.
    Last edited by Scott Adams; 07-20-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I agree, Eric. I am fairly certain the rule would apply and there would be a hassle at the border. I was only asking the question rhetorically. I don't currently have a pup. But when I picked up Trek in Canada in 2007, I planned to trial my other dog for awhile in Canada which put Trek beyond the 12 weeks. I did not want to give him a rabies shot any earlier than 5 months so I just wandered around Canada in my motorhome running trials, attending seminars, etc., until he was 6 months (vaccination at 5 months plus the 30 days after the vaccination to make him legal). With Dart in 2012, I was crossing from Canada to the U.S. with a 7 1/2 week old puppy and they made me sign the confinement agreement. But now, who knows what would happen. If I get another Canadian puppy, maybe I'll have to plan on spending a few months in Canada again .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    When ever you transport anything across the border, you are importing it, regardless of it's origin, or how it was acquired. Especially where Departments of Agriculture are concerned.
    You would be amazed with the trouble that ensues at the border, simply because of a missed exit on the highway.
    Thanks for the clarification Scott. My logic and border logic do not always align... so this info does help! lol
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Humor me Alain.......what is plan B

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Brutal for Canadian breeders that have targeted US market!
    Last year i did cross the US border with 8 pups to Logan Intern. Airport (Boston) and flew those all over US.
    Never ad any problem with US border agent, i had sign by future owners Quarantine form, but i could see that it was getting more and more complicated.....

Personally guess i will go for B plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    I know, it look like it was my lucky day but i was very well prepare but still got lucky i know!
    I have the feeling i meant the right guy, @ the right time the right day, it was the senior agent and he saw very fast that i knew what i needed to cross the border.
    I stay 10 minutes inside and then gone for the airport......

Not sure i will keep pups up to 4 months age!
    They need to go to there home, get away of the litter, socialize properly and get house broken........me doing this properly on a 8- 10 pups litters...........OUF!!!!
    We must have got in just under the gun.