The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New US Rules for Importing Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Now we aren't letting Rabbi's in? It's getting rough��. I know the current administration hasn't been that tight with Israel, but that's going a little far.��
    LOL - you're right... And the whole UK isn't rabbis free, just Germany.

*RABIS
    -Barton Ramsey

Don, the 'new rules' or stricter or enforcement or whatever hasn't gone into effect yet so no one has been denied. It goes into effect August 9th.

CDC keeps saying nothing has changed. Well it has. How it used to be- "puppy under 3 months old is too young to be vaccinated"- that was a good enough reason to not have a vaccination certficate for rabies and they would either let you through, or issue a confinement agreement, depending on who was working that day. Now they are saying that people should know that 3 months is too young so don't bother trying to get across the border unless you have been pre-approved for a confinement agreement, and they are providing an email address to contact them so that you might state your case. What they are saying is that if you show up at the border with any dog who hasn't been rabies vaccinated you will get turned away. Whether or not that will actually happen we won't know until after the 9th and someone tries it, I'm sure there will be dogs that go through, but if you are following the letter of the law and trying to plan ahead, you would see this on their website:

This is posted on the CDC website under importing dogs:
    Proof of Rabies Vaccination

Rabies vaccination is required for all dogs entering the United States from a country where rabies is present. Dogs must be accompanied by a current, valid rabies vaccination certificate that includes the following information:

Name and address of owner
    Breed, sex, age, color, markings, and other identifying information for the dog
    Date of rabies vaccination and vaccine product information
    Date the vaccination expires
    Name, license number, address, and signature of veterinarian

These requirements apply equally to service animals such as guide dogs for the blind. Puppies must not be vaccinated against rabies before 3 months of age, so the youngest that a puppy can be imported into the United States is 4 months of age.
    Importation of Unvaccinated Dogs

Importation of unvaccinated dogs is allowed on a limited basis. Unvaccinated dogs may be imported only if they are coming from a rabies-free country (see below) or if they are being imported for use in scientific research where rabies vaccination would interfere with that research. Questions about importing unvaccinated dogs may be directed to CDC at CDCAnimalImports@cdc.gov.

Persons seeking to import unvaccinated dogs are responsible for contacting CDC in advance at CDCAnimalImports@cdc.gov to discuss their particular situations. Unvaccinated dogs that arrive in the United States without advance CDC permission might be denied entry to the United States and returned to the country of origin at the importerís expense.

So, maybe from a 'law' stand point nothing has changed, but they have changed how they are enforcing the vaccination requirement, or at least, they have made a press statement to that effect and have changed the wording on their website to lead people to believe that puppies who are not vaccinated will not be allowed into the country without prior permission, which is at their discretion (and yes I have already had one person denied this permission so far). The CDC knows that it is a change that will affect people or they wouldn't have issued a press release and have an 'effective date'.

Apparently Scott (Razor Labs) has been getting the same information as me in talking to the CDC. So it's confusing to be getting conflicting reports and also the indifferent attitudes from the AKC/CKC who I don't think are really reading the guidance, or don't understand that this is still a few days into the future so there haven't been any problems yet.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Erin, I understand what you are saying and have faxed the new CDC Interpretation/enforcement and comments to the Ex Dir of the CKC this evening to be fwded to the AKC govt liaiason rep. Below is what I said in my email.

Hi , Late this afternoon I was finally able to track down the CDC directive that is to take affect 9 August. I faxed it all to you (416-675-6506) today ( 22July) at 709 pm. There were 6 pages in total including my cover page.
    This is my interpretation of what is being said. The AKC etc are correct there is no new directive, what is new is how the CDC will interpret and use the "May" aspect of the current directive. The CDC is basically using their "May" authority to clamp down on all non rabbies vaccinated imports. This is why almost all folks who are sending dogs after 9 Aug and have requested import / quarentine permission in advance in the last week have been denied.
    Sure I may be able to still drive across the boarder, fill out the same two forms pay my $10.75 etc. But what is different is how the CDC "may" act once they get their copy of the quarentine form. It looks like they will deny it, send a letter to the new puppy owner denying the request to import and quarentine ( who will have 5 days to appeal). The owner on denial of his/her appeal will then be responsible to get the pup out of the country asap at their expense. What owner is going to buy a CKC dog import it and risk that?
    I may be reading this wrong and look forward to your thoughts as well as those of AKC etc

I will let you all know what I get in response.

Don

Don Gillingham
    Huntersbest Labradors

Don-

I get the impression you are from Canada. If so, you need to realize that the CKC and AKC are very different. Whereas the CKC is an arm of the government, the AKC is but a private organization. Its people can talk to government people but in no way can they issue anything like a directive. Further, we are talking about the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the AKC has very little interaction with this agency,. Finally, this is something that many in this country have sought for years in a general sense. While we didn't argue the details, this is aimed at the massive inflow of unhealthy dogs into the US. Last year, there were 10's of thousands of these dogs and they came from areas which are known to be hotspots for rabies. All the CDC has done is to say that a dog is a dog no matter what its source. Perhaps in a year or two some refinement to the rules will be possible. Dunno.

Candidly, the CDC has been working on trying to find some method to control this for a couple of years. The influx of dogs from Soshi (rabies hotspot) after the Olympics probably tended to move things along.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Plan B - bring dam to USA prior to whelping; whelp litter in USA
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Eric, I dont know where you get your info from but the CKC is not part of or an arm of the Canadian Govt. It is a private enterprise the same as the AKC. The AKC does have a political liaison officer which in fact does discuss and interact with the CDC and other US govt agencies. If Animals from Sochi and Mexico are your problem then fix that, not the pups from Canada. I also would bet that should this not get amended for Cdn breeders you will see a similar rule enacted in Canada wrt US pups being improrted to Canada.

Don

Don-

My apologies. I'd always heard that the CKC was connected to the Canadian government. I looked it up and I stand corrected.

With my breed, our gene pool is really at risk. Thirty years ago, nearly 100% of the puppies were registered with the CKC and then imported to the US under a contract between the CKC and the Toller club that essentially made the Toller club "the AKC for Tollers." This change will really harm the close relationships between Canadian and American breeders.

Here's the AKC take on the whole episode.

http://www.akc.org/press_center/arti...rticle_id=5599

http://tinyurl.com/lj59k5r

AKC News

New CDC Guidelines Provide Insight on Confinement Agreements for Dogs from Rabies-Positive Countries

(Thursday, July 24, 2014)

On July 10, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published new guidelines that establish standard considerations for allowing the import of certain dogs from rabies-positive countries that have not been adequately immunized against the disease.

Current law, which has been in place for more than a decade and has not changed, requires that anyone wishing to import a dog from a country that is not considered to be rabies-free must provide a valid rabies vaccination certificate, certain health records, and be able to pass an inspection for communicable diseases.

Because rabies vaccines may be ineffective when administered to a puppy younger than 3 months of age, and it takes 30 days for full immune response from a vaccine, the youngest age at which a puppy may be imported from a rabies-positive country is generally considered to be 4 months.

-more-
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Based on a reading of what the AKC has posted, it seems they aren't planning to lobby for the CDC to change their new interpretation of the regulations. It's strange to me that they aren't fighting it because it means less income for them.

I just went on the AKC website and found a "contact us" section and sent an email to the Canine Legislation Department which actually went the AKC Government Relations Department. I explained that I had seen the AKC News column on their website and explained the problem the CDC's new guidelines are causing for U.S. citizens wanting to import Canadian puppies and register them with the AKC. I also mentioned that AKC puppy buyers would not want to wait for the puppies to be 4 months old to take them home and Canadian breeders would not want to keep them for 4 months. I also said that U.S. puppy buyers are having problems currently getting approval to import their pups from Canada after the effective date. So, I said the practical effect is that the number of puppies being imported from Canada will be very limited, thus impacting the AKC's collection of foreign registration fees and future entry fees. I urged them to take another look at the effect of the new CDC guidelines. I hope others will be writing in as well - and also to the CDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    LOL - you're right... And the whole UK isn't rabbis free, just Germany.

*RABIS
    You need to buy a vowel.
    Still.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown