The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New US Rules for Importing Dogs

Got an idea... say the pup is a designer dog, stick him your handbag, carry the Rabies cert. for an older dog, and if the puppy is not foaming at the mouth who is ever going to be the wiser...

Seriously.... this new law is just so flawed. It could be fought on the grounds it violates NAFTA and free trade... The AKC should step up and pay for the legal team needed to get this corrected.

We just brought Ebola into the States .... we already have rabies, and just about every pup gets its vaccination at four months old, so how does the CDC see well raised puppies as a health threat?

I am sure someone has also posted that wild animals living near the US/ Canadian border cross daily, and many carry rabies. Home raised puppies have about zero chance of bringing rabies into the US.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I would love to sign this petition, but I don't think it's correct. It says the age required for the rabies shot has been reduced from 5 months to 4 months. The requirements haven't changed. I believe it has always been 4 months (30 days past the age when a pup can be given a rabies vaccination which is 3 months). The only thing that has changed is their policy regarding confinement agreements. In the past, they allowed pups under 4 months without rabies vaccinations to enter the U.S. provided a confinement agreement was signed. Now they are going to severely limit the issuance of confinement agreements. I don't feel I can sign this petition because it does not correctly state the issue and the CDC will just say they have not changed their regulations, which is true. Does anyone know how to contact the person who is circulating this petition and get the word to them that the premise may be incorrect?

I see what you are saying, Judy. Some of the facts in the long narrative are garbled. Don't know who wrote it, or if these Ipetitions are effective anyway. The CDC public interfaces - FB page and website - seem to be 100% busy explaining Ebola.

The bottom line that the petition is asking, is on point in my opinion: (except why mention genetic diversity to the CDC?)

"Requiring personal owner pick up and transport of unvaccinated 9 to 12 week old pups with a valid international health certificate will ensure that dedicated owners are obtaining these pups. These people are not going to risk their animal’s health from Rabies. This will protect public health while maintaining genetic diversity and allowing US pet owners the maximum options for pet ownership.
    http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html
    We ask that the CDC waive the rabies restriction for Canadian breeders.”

Betty King

I have a question about the new Air Canada restriction. Does that apply only to puppies flying in cargo? Can they still fly younger than 12 weeks in the cabin? Since they are requiring health certificates, it appears they might still be allowed to fly in the cabin.

Sorry if this has already been on here. CKC

Update: New U.S. Guidelines re: Importing Dogs
    from Rabies-Positive Countries

Since learning of new U.S. guidelines regarding the importation of puppies from rabies-positive countries, effective August 11, 2014, as set out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the CKC has reached out to various organizations for further comment and information to best support our position and to pursue exceptions to these new directives that direly affect our member breeders and their puppies.

The guidelines call for stricter enforcement of CDC's Dog Importation Regulations requiring that dogs be fully immunized against rabies before being imported into the U.S. The rabies vaccination must be administered no earlier than 12 weeks of age of the dog and at least 30 days before arrival at a U.S. port of entry. Therefore, the youngest that a puppy may be imported to the U.S. is 4 months of age.

CKC understands the tremendous impact that the new guidelines will have on our responsible member breeders and continues to confer with organizations such as the AKC, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the CVMA to voice our position, to best represent our responsible member breeders and their healthy, well-socialized puppies and ultimately seek exemption to the newly enforced regulations. Further updates will be provided as we work to find a resolution.

For information about changes re: shipping dogs within Canada and to the U.S. for WestJet/WestJet Cargo and Air Canada/Air Canada Cargo, please click here.

Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Judy more info about the shipping changes here: http://www.ckc.ca/en/News/2014/Augus...t-and-Air-Cana

I would call to check. It SOUNDS like they are only talking about puppies flying in cargo but it doesn't specifically say that... good grief!!! If they restrict puppies flying in cabin I'm going to have a heart attack. We really only have that 8-9 week window before most lab pups outgrow the possibility of flying in cabin...
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

QUESTION:

Has anyone applied for, or had a puppy buyer apply for, the permission to use a confinement agreement to bring a puppy home 'on time' rather than at 4 months? So far the only one I've heard of is one of my buyers- who will pick her pup up next week. Just curious to see if anyone has had success and has crossed the border with a puppy since this went into effect, or will soon?
    Erin Lynes

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

The only ones I've heard of have been denied.

Meanwhile, the CKC has issued a document opposing the decision of the CDC and says it's working with the AKC and other organizations to allow Canadian puppies to cross the border as before. I don't know how to post a link or I would include it here. It was sent out in an email to members of the CKC. At least the troops are rallying.
    Last edited by Judy Myers; 08-13-2014 at 08:56 PM.

This is what the CKC emailed out this morning. Glad to read they are working on this:

"Since learning of new U.S. guidelines regarding the importation of puppies from rabies-positive countries, effective August 11, 2014, as set out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the CKC has reached out to various organizations for further comment and information to best support our position and to pursue exceptions to these new directives that direly affect our member breeders and their puppies.

The guidelines call for stricter enforcement of CDC's Dog Importation Regulations requiring that dogs be fully immunized against rabies before being imported into the U.S. The rabies vaccination must be administered no earlier than 12 weeks of age of the dog and at least 30 days before arrival at a U.S. port of entry. Therefore, the youngest that a puppy may be imported to the U.S. is 4 months of age.

CKC understands the tremendous impact that the new guidelines will have on our responsible member breeders and continues to confer with organizations such as the AKC, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the CVMA to voice our position, to best represent our responsible member breeders and their healthy, well-socialized puppies and ultimately seek exemption to the newly enforced regulations. Further updates will be provided as we work to find a resolution."
    Erin Lynes

Home of:

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Sorry if this has already been on here. CKC

Update: New U.S. Guidelines re: Importing Dogs
    from Rabies-Positive Countries

Since learning of new U.S. guidelines regarding the importation of puppies from rabies-positive countries, effective August 11, 2014, as set out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the CKC has reached out to various organizations for further comment and information to best support our position and to pursue exceptions to these new directives that direly affect our member breeders and their puppies.

CKC understands the tremendous impact that the new guidelines will have on our responsible member breeders and continues to confer with organizations such as the AKC, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the CVMA to voice our position, to best represent our responsible member breeders and their healthy, well-socialized puppies and ultimately seek exemption to the newly enforced regulations. Further updates will be provided as we work to find a resolution.

For information about changes re: shipping dogs within Canada and to the U.S. for WestJet/WestJet Cargo and Air Canada/Air Canada Cargo, please click here.

Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter
    It sounds
    like the CKC is subjecting the FULL WEIGHT of their influence on the AKC and Canadian government agencies. Never have I seen a better example of barking up the wrong tree.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport