The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New US Rules for Importing Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Labs View Post
    I agree Bill......But in a 7 week old puppy come on
    I know... But we are talking about govt doofuses. Not defending... That kind of stuff irritates the hell out of me.
    Bill Davis

Wow! This seems so crazy to me. Have shipped puppies from Canada into the USA for years and have not had any issues. Most don't even ask to see the health certificate and no one has ever been asked to sign a confinement agreement. So for them to say the rule changes are not new is crazy in my opinion. It is hard enough to get an airline in Canada that flies to the USA to ship a puppy with all the temperature restrictions, cargo hours, and crate size limits for aircrafts etc that it will make it near impossible to ship a 4 month old puppy who is larger and would require a larger crate. Not to mention the fact that most puppy buyers want a young puppy and most breeders would have to charge a lot more to care for a pup until it is 4 months old and to start training. Erin, does this also apply to importing a dog to Canada? Hope it works out for your puppy buyers. Glad that I shipped a puppy last week to the USA and don't have to deal with that in the immediate future.

Hi Erin,

Sounds like you have done more research than I have in the past few days and have a lot of experience exporting pups. And maybe I'm reading your response and the CDC info incorrectly, but when I imported my pup in January from England, I too had to sign the documents regarding the confinement at the customs office at the airport. It was something I expected to do, because my export agent warned me I would.

As for CDC coming to a buyer's house to make sure they're confining the pup, In my view, the likelihood is highly unlikely. They may go inspect a facility importing a bunch of dogs from Mexico or Iraq, but no way they'll spend staff time on someone importing a nice pure bred lab pup from Canada.

I sincerely hope your buyers don't get denied permission to import, but I can't imagine that. Please keep us updated on how it goes for your current litter.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Labs View Post
    OMG!.......You have to be kidding

Not at all, makes no difference to me what so ever. JMHO Those that have said " he must still be drunk" The good book says those without sin cast the first stone. I am sure none of you have ever driven with a drink or two in ya, not a one of ya. If ya have, then the difference between those who cannot cross the border and those who can is if you got caught. One drunk driving in your lifetime no entrance to Canada period.

Thus don't care if the border there is closed or not. My statement t stands, I think there are plenty of top notch field trial bred dogs here, I have no need for Canadian blood in my lines. Not saying they don't have good dogs just saying got plenty of them here to choose from. Nick of Time Ranger has done plenty good for me!

Its very interesting that you are basing your opinion around drinking........Hmmh

Quote Originally Posted by No Drive View Post
    Not at all, makes no difference to me what so ever. JMHO Those that have said " he must still be drunk" The good book says those without sin cast the first stone. I am sure none of you have ever driven with a drink or two in ya, not a one of ya. If ya have, then the difference between those who cannot cross the border and those who can is if you got caught. One drunk driving in your lifetime no entrance to Canada period.

Thus don't care if the border there is closed or not. My statement t stands, I think there are plenty of top notch field trial bred dogs here, I have no need for Canadian blood in my lines. Not saying they don't have good dogs just saying got plenty of them here to choose from. Nick of Time Ranger has done plenty good for me!

This type of post really doesn't deserve response but.....

It is is exactly the same law for Canadians entering the U.S no matter how long ago the offense was.

As for not "needing" Canadian blood in your FT lines you might want to rethink that one. Lean Mac comes to mind along with a host of other notables. Hard to say where some "so called" US blood lines would be without some of these imports.

Sorry you got denied entry at the border for an offense that occurred so long ago. I agree that law is ridiculous however there are literally tens of thousands of citizens from other countries who have had a lifetime ban from entry into the U.S. for the same thing. It's the same for just about every other so called "civilized" country in the world.

Life's not fair. Get over it and move on.
    Last edited by labguy; 07-19-2014 at 06:25 AM.
    If I/we/you can't continue to advance our methods that focus on making training easier to learn/less painful for the dogs, we have no right to be training them. (Alec Sparks)

FTCH AFTCH NOREMAC'S UNDERTAKER (DIGGER) QFTR JFTR
    -2014 Canadian National Retriever Championship Finalist
    -2012 Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship Finalist

BARFLY'S DEADLY AIM (SNIPER) QFTR JFTR
    -2012 Canadian High Point Qualifying Retriever
    -2011 Canadian High Point Junior (Derby) Champion

I think all lab lines got imported at some point....
    i don't recall native Americans or pilgrims running hunt tests or bird hunting with them.

Jen- Maybe that was previously a rule for puppies coming from England or other countries, I'm not sure, have no experience with that- but it was definitely not a requirement for puppies coming from Canada. The fact that their web page has been updated to specifically say that importers should expect to bring their puppy in no sooner than 4 months of age is a serious change from any previous wording and we definitely didn't need to be requesting any permission for anything in advance.

Our one puppy who did have to undergo the confinement agreement (2012) DID get a visit from their local animal control officer. This was just a regular dog owner, not a breeder, kennel, pro trainer, etc... I think the purpose of these agreements being handled differently- ie available by discriminate application only- is so that when they are signed at the border, they will be then issued to a local enforcement agency. At least- why even bother with all this if a certain percentage aren't being checked on?

Danielle, so far I don't see any such changes coming from the other direction, although we Canadians do have new rules about 'commercially' imported dogs which technically applies to any dog being purchased for breeding or exhibiting. However unless your crossing the border with the puppy, and it's only one at a time, it may not be something that they will catch- the two pups I bought from the US in May, I applied for the import permit and did all of that stuff and it wasn't super hard, just more expensive and it's something that needs to be applied for 30 days in advance (but I had to go down to Seattle to get them and didn't want to take any chances- they really seemed confused at the port of entry so maybe they aren't really aware of this change or aren't enforcing that at all). It didn't restrict the age of the puppy at all thank goodness.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Thus don't care if the border there is closed or not. My statement t stands, I think there are plenty of top notch field trial bred dogs here, I have no need for Canadian blood in my lines. Not saying they don't have good dogs just saying got plenty of them here to choose from. Nick of Time LoneRanger has done plenty good for me!
    Fixed it for you
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorange View Post
    By reading the links above I don't think this applies to dogs imported from rabies free countries. I think you have to sign an agreement that you will get the dog vaccinated and confine it for 30 days.
    This is true. Most countries (like Canada) are not considered rabies free though the last case of canine rabies in my province occurred in 2006.

The part you may have missed is that you don't just 'get' to sign an agreement to confine the dog- you must be 'approved' - ie have a significantly good reason to be unable to wait to import your dog until they are vaccinated. So far my puppy buyers are 50-50 on being approved for this, personally I am feeling pretty sad and frustrated for the family that was denied and told they could just wait and pick the puppy up at 4 months instead.
    Okay dude, I'll just go put that one back on the shelf for now....
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........