The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compensation for retriever judges?

Default Compensation for retriever judges?

I believe that I read it somewhere that dog show judges get compensation for their time/efforts (though I have no idea how much). Do you think there will ever come a time when retriever sport judges will get the same? With the ever growing shortage of judges, and with current judges facing burnout, perhaps some compensation could change that picture. I'm not suggesting that judges make a career out of it or get wealthy by judging but maybe some modest compensation, in addition to mileage and lodging, would be in order?

What do you think?
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

With most field trials at or near break even where would the money come from?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    With most field trials at or near break even where would the money come from?
    This. There is a huge difference in participants and income between show and field.

Do you support paying judges? Do you think you would get better quality if you paid them?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Where does the money come from to pay gunners and other workers in the field?

I wouldn't be in favor of paying judges that are judging for their home club(s). I feel that's part of being a good contributing member to your club. I'm talking about when a club chooses to brings in an out of club or out of area judge. The current salary for retriever judges starts with a minus sign. Perhaps something could be done to help those judges break even also?
    Last edited by stonybrook; 07-18-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    Foley, MN

no and I guess money comes from the magic money tree like our government thinks they have.
    DLM

" Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

Ok. So are you against paying judges based on the principle that they just shouldn't be paid and don't deserve it or is it based on not being financially viable, or both?
    Last edited by stonybrook; 07-18-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    Foley, MN

At most tests here, all the gunners are volunteers. All the club workers work without compensation unless you consider a sack lunch compensation. Bird boys receive $35 a day. Most profits go back into equipment, ground improvements & other necessary evils such as insurance.

There is little available money to pay judges & to do so will mean other projects go unfunded. We often overlook the sacrifices judges make to allow these games to continue. It involve 3 days minimum loss of free time. Sitting in the weather regardless of conditions. The joy of back seat judging, second guessing & the Monday morning Internet bus. My humble opinion is that judges give back to keep this game going. No club can afford their true value & to write a check as compensation would cheapen their true worth.
    Mark Land

I don't know what conformation judges get paid but I do know they commonly judge something like 200 dogs a day. That is day, not weekend! So there's more $ to pay them.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    At most tests here, all the gunners are volunteers. All the club workers work without compensation unless you consider a sack lunch compensation. Bird boys receive $35 a day. Most profits go back into equipment, ground improvements & other necessary evils such as insurance.

There is little available money to pay judges & to do so will mean other projects go unfunded. We often overlook the sacrifices judges make to allow these games to continue. It involve 3 days minimum loss of free time. Sitting in the weather regardless of conditions. The joy of back seat judging, second guessing & the Monday morning Internet bus. My humble opinion is that judges give back to keep this game going. No club can afford their true value & to write a check as compensation would cheapen their true worth.
    Mark
    Don't forget the gathering of decoys under the false pretense of a faulty decoy pole....lol

I don't need or want compensation for judging. I do it because I love to watch dogs work and I like (most) people!

I always end up with some out of pocket expenses at the end of a judging assignmeent, but I feel that is the price of admission for the best seat in the house.

I'm leaving in 30 minutes for an assignment. Gonna be a great weekend! -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.