The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compensation for retriever judges?

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

I'm with Paul, going to look at grounds in ME shortly. Gonna be a great weekend.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hatfield View Post
    Mark
    Don't forget the gathering of decoys under the false pretense of a faulty decoy pole....lol
    I expect the "payback" from that incident is going to be lengthy & occur when I least expect!!
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    At most tests here, all the gunners are volunteers. All the club workers work without compensation unless you consider a sack lunch compensation. Bird boys receive $35 a day. Most profits go back into equipment, ground improvements & other necessary evils such as insurance.

There is little available money to pay judges & to do so will mean other projects go unfunded. We often overlook the sacrifices judges make to allow these games to continue. It involve 3 days minimum loss of free time. Sitting in the weather regardless of conditions. The joy of back seat judging, second guessing & the Monday morning Internet bus. My humble opinion is that judges give back to keep this game going. No club can afford their true value & to write a check as compensation would cheapen their true worth.
    This. Most clubs use volunteer gunners and bird boys. We have, and I assume most other clubs do as well, gunners asking us if they can gun. Bird personnel are a bit different in that if you don't have enough club members to work the event you almost have no way of getting someone to stand in the elements for 10-12 hours and throw dead ducks. Many clubs are lucky enough to find high school clubs that can use the event as community service. Others pay a minimal amount to get them. We pay $40 for Saturday and give them a total of $100 if they show up both days. We usually use 10-15 per event so the cost is not that high and there is no other solution to the issue, if we did not pay we would not have bird boys.

As Paul points out, most judges are in it to give back to the sport and love to do it. Nobody is held at gun point and forced to judge. When I judge it is because I want to and enjoy it. I will not judge for certain clubs that make the job unenjoyably. In most cases the only thing I take from a club is gas and they pay the hotel. I do not charge for meals other than the judges dinner or tailgate. When I judge for my own club or most of the "local" clubs I take nothing other than the hotel because I enjoy doing it. Even if judges were paid I doubt I would accept it and would rather see that money go back into the club. I feel it is an honor to be asked to judge and there is no need to pay me for it.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I do it for the schwag!

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    ...My humble opinion is that judges give back to keep this game going. No club can afford their true value & to write a check as compensation would cheapen their true worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    I don't need or want compensation for judging. I do it because I love to watch dogs work and I like (most) people!

I always end up with some out of pocket expenses at the end of a judging assignmeent, but I feel that is the price of admission for the best seat in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    I'm with Paul, going to look at grounds in ME shortly. Gonna be a great weekend.
    I agree with Mark, Paul and John. I judge all levels of both Hunt Tests and Field Trials as well as work at and chair many other events. Many others have taken their turn in the chair for me to play, and I feel it's only right to return the favor. I consider being asked to judge both an honor and a privilege. I do it because I enjoy watching great dogs and talented handlers, not for money or glory. Other than travel and accomodations, I don't ask for anything else.

I think if more folks stepped up to help plan, organize, chair and judge events, they would become intimately familiar with the challenges clubs face. Budgets, grounds, help, etc. I guarantee those folks aren't the ones posting these types of questions.... they already know the answers.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD *** (QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    I believe that I read it somewhere that dog show judges get compensation for their time/efforts (though I have no idea how much). Do you think there will ever come a time when retriever sport judges will get the same? With the ever growing shortage of judges, and with current judges facing burnout, perhaps some compensation could change that picture. I'm not suggesting that judges make a career out of it or get wealthy by judging but maybe some modest compensation, in addition to mileage and lodging, would be in order?

What do you think?
    The pleasure of your company is ALMOST compensation enough.!!

IMO, A nice thank gratuity you for each day they are judging and covering expenses has been enough for me. I can't afford to cover all my OOP but do not expect to make money off a club either.

Our club does have a policy of small thank you if we have to cancel a judge, because we appreciate that they scheduled time off to come and that should be noted.
    As to paid,, not enough money in the pot to do it.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

[QUOTE=stonybrook;1239116]Where does the money come from to pay gunners and other workers in the field?

QUOTE]

???????????????????????????????????
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    I believe that I read it somewhere that dog show judges get compensation for their time/efforts (though I have no idea how much). Do you think there will ever come a time when retriever sport judges will get the same? With the ever growing shortage of judges, and with current judges facing burnout, perhaps some compensation could change that picture. I'm not suggesting that judges make a career out of it or get wealthy by judging but maybe some modest compensation, in addition to mileage and lodging, would be in order?

What do you think?
    And my understanding is that handlers follow "their" judges around to gain their titles. Not a good idea for our sport.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    I think if more folks stepped up to help plan, organize, chair and judge events, they would become intimately familiar with the challenges clubs face. Budgets, grounds, help, etc. I guarantee those folks aren't the ones posting these types of questions.... they already know the answers.
    Apparently you don't know Travis....if you did, you'd edit your post....

He has judged, chaired, worked, volunteered at more tests than you could shake a stick at...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

It is not an unreasonable question, professional judges have been informally proposed to deal with what some consider a field trial judge near crisis. Certainly a pool of qualified professional judges who judge 8-10 trials a year to augment the judging pool would help but several problems come to mind. First how much would they be compensated and where would the money come from? Second how large would this pool be and who would decide which judges are qualified. For me judging is hard work and doing it for compensation would require an amount that no club could or would pay.