The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Compensation for retriever judges?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Golddogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    I think if more folks stepped up to help plan, organize, chair and judge events, they would become intimately familiar with the challenges clubs face. Budgets, grounds, help, etc. I guarantee those folks aren't the ones posting these types of questions.... they already know the answers.
    Perhaps it might be prudent to actually know the OP before making such completely baseless guarantees.

    It may also be suggested that the question was asked to develop an intelligent discussion and gather opinions.


    Be Sure Your Guarantee Is Worth Something Regards
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

  2. #22
    Senior Member Dan Wegner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    Apparently you don't know Travis....if you did, you'd edit your post....

    He has judged, chaired, worked, volunteered at more tests than you could shake a stick at...
    That's great, glad to hear he's one of the do-ers! My post wasn't intended to call out Travis, but I see many posts from folks that don't help, chair or judge with potential solutions to problems (eg. separate pro and amateur divisions in master for a club that doesn't have the gorunds to do more than on master to begin with....) that they would realize aren't viable if they were the ones organizing events.

    So the question still remains, where would the $ come from to compensate judges? Most event budgets are already very tight. Travel costs, birds, more paid help than in the past, etc. Clubs are struggling to put any $ back into the pot to repair or replace equipment. Most clubs I'm aware of are skating a thin line between red and black on events. Paying judges would put most events clearly in the red from what I can tell.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD *** (QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

  3. #23
    Senior Member GulfCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pascagoula, MS
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Fishduck pays me the same whether I am judging or gunning for "Judge Mrs. GC." Starting to think gunning is the better deal for all those way cool "free shells."
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

    HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

  4. #24
    Senior Member djansma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    429

    Default

    I just want to break even with expenses
    and yes we all need to give back to our sport
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

  5. #25
    Senior Member fishduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere Alabama
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Gunning is a much better job description!. Many commenting on this thread have sat in a chair at the cattle ranch during one of our spring "mudfests". Thank you!!!

    Look at the job description. Take a full day off work & lose a vacation day or pay. Set up a fair, challenging test only to be second guessed by any and everyone that has fed a dog a biscuit. Endure whatever the weather deals. From rain, sleet, snow or blistering sun. See what insect life is local at the test & is looking for a meal. Get up early & drive home late Sunday night.

    Where would the pay scale for this job begin? I don't think many clubs could afford it.

    To all judges, please accept my personal thanks for your sacrifice! Without your generous gift of time & expertise these games would not exist.
    Mark Land

  6. #26
    Senior Member djansma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    429

    Default

    But at least somebody loaned me his muck boots
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

  7. #27
    Senior Member fishduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere Alabama
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djansma View Post
    But at least somebody loaned me his muck boots
    The will be on the back porch of the White House when you judge again!.
    Mark Land

  8. #28
    Senior Member Labs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mayer, MN
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    That's great, glad to hear he's one of the do-ers! My post wasn't intended to call out Travis, but I see many posts from folks that don't help, chair or judge with potential solutions to problems (eg. separate pro and amateur divisions in master for a club that doesn't have the gorunds to do more than on master to begin with....) that they would realize aren't viable if they were the ones organizing events.

    So the question still remains, where would the $ come from to compensate judges? Most event budgets are already very tight. Travel costs, birds, more paid help than in the past, etc. Clubs are struggling to put any $ back into the pot to repair or replace equipment. Most clubs I'm aware of are skating a thin line between red and black on events. Paying judges would put most events clearly in the red from what I can tell.

    I'm sorry, but that's exactly what it sounded like to me...

    120 dog master shouldn't be anywhere close to the red...if they are, they have problems managing a budget....where does the show "money" come from? Does the AKC kick in to pay judges, or does that come directly from entrance fees? And I am not advocating or disparging the question...just continuing the discussion.

    If I can break even on a weekend, that's all I care about...and if I know a small club, having a small test, I know money is tight for them...All I want is a place to sleep...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Big difference between conformation and FT judging - conformation judges must get approved by AKC for EACH breed they are then approved to judge. LOTS of time and expense involved on their part and it could take years to become a judge for all the breeds. I doubt many would be able to do this without it paying off some in the future.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    120 dog master shouldn't be anywhere close to the red...if they are, they have problems managing a budget
    If that's the case, we'll be sure to call you before our next test for advice.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •