The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Compensation for retriever judges?

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's exactly what it sounded like to me...

120 dog master shouldn't be anywhere close to the red...if they are, they have problems managing a budget....where does the show "money" come from? Does the AKC kick in to pay judges, or does that come directly from entrance fees? And I am not advocating or disparging the question...just continuing the discussion.

If I can break even on a weekend, that's all I care about...and if I know a small club, having a small test, I know money is tight for them...All I want is a place to sleep...
    So what does your club pay its judges with all its budget managing expertise?

I do get compensated. I get free admission to watch the best dogs in the country, all the while why I sit in the best seat in the house. Better than anyone else, right behind the line.

Is there a better place to be to learn how dogs react or how the good handlers run their dogs?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I don't know what conformation judges get paid but I do know they commonly judge something like 200 dogs a day. That is day, not weekend! So there's more $ to pay them.
    I believe they are paid per dog, as well. A good friend, and my mentor, was a sporting breed judge,and thats how they paid her -per entry. I dont know how much.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's exactly what it sounded like to me...

120 dog master shouldn't be anywhere close to the red...if they are, they have problems managing a budget....where does the show "money" come from? Does the AKC kick in to pay judges, or does that come directly from entrance fees? And I am not advocating or disparging the question...just continuing the discussion.

If I can break even on a weekend, that's all I care about...and if I know a small club, having a small test, I know money is tight for them...All I want is a place to sleep...

Just curious.....How many events have you Chaired?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I do get compensated. I get free admission to watch the best dogs in the country, all the while why I sit in the best seat in the house. Better than anyone else, right behind the line.

Is there a better place to be to learn how dogs react or how the good handlers run their dogs?
    I agree, this is one of the best reasons a new judge should want to judge. There is not a better seat in the house. I feel it's a honor to be asked to judge, and I just want ot break even for the weekend.
    Somebody is giving up their weekend when I'm running, we should all try to do the same a couple a weekend per year.

Guns Up!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cummins Jr. View Post
    I agree, this is one of the best reasons a new judge should want to judge. There is not a better seat in the house. I feel it's a honor to be asked to judge, and I just want ot break even for the weekend.
    Somebody is giving up their weekend when I'm running, we should all try to do the same a couple a weekend per year.

Guns Up!
    Bill
    Everyone needs to give back to the sport however they choose. Everyone isn't cut out to be a judge.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Everyone needs to give back to the sport however they choose. Everyone isn't cut out to be a judge.
    Yes! I did not state that clearly, I agree with you, give back any way you can. I don't think enough people are encouraged to judge, they should be encouraged and involved with set-ups in training ,etc., then maybe down the road think about judging ?

I judge because I am judged. No judges, no game to play . A club pays gas and tolls , gives me some chow and a place to shower and sleep . I get to see my friends and their dogs all weekend Or, better yet , make new friends !! (hopefully not lose any friends ,LOL) I give up vacation days ,wear and tear on the truck and once in a while run over my own dog ........... To pay me means I have to answer to someone .You can ask my bosses how that works And just like those college football players , will the move to unionize be far behind ?? Off to laugh while training thinking of this regards..........
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

I believe show judges are compensated so much per dog judged and the fee is part of the entry fee. I don't know how much it is. I don't think it is very much. And, I don't know what judges get for judging groups and best.

As far as compensating HT/FT judges. That would probably be opening a can of worms no one really wants to deal with.

Tom
    Tom Wall

obedience judges are compensated, too.

I have no idea if this is anywhere near accurate, but here is the alleged salary for dog show (bench) judges:
    http://www.salaryexpert.com/index.cf...sitionid=77409

And the AKC requirements to be a dog show judge (from the AKC website):
    To give you a better idea of the experience you need before applying to become a new breed judge, here are some of the prerequisites: at least 10 years of involvement in the sport; breeding and raising at least four litters of one breed; and producing at least two breed champions from those litters.
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 07-19-2014 at 10:15 AM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com