The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Recent Setup of Repeating Marks

Default A Recent Setup of Repeating Marks

Comments and/or questions welcomed

The dog: Five year old male lab. Solid AKC Hunt Test dog through his Master title. Started training for and running Field Trials about 2 1/2 years ago.
    The Handler: Johnny Don't Know Nutt'n training first dog.

View from the line.

Set up number 1

Set up number 2

Set up number 3

All three setups were run on the same day.
    The green lines are the dogs path to the best of my memory and sketching ability.
    The "H" in setup three is a handle.

Don't know what you are looking for. Are you asking a question? Only question I have is why did you handle on the water mark?

Quote Originally Posted by dogguy438 View Post
    Don't know what you are looking for. Are you asking a question? Only question I have is why did you handle on the water mark?
    The dog had a nice mark on M3. When the bumper landed it bounced and made a splash in the water. He watched all of that. When he hits that first piece of water he loses sight of the gun. When he hit the point of land the gun comes back in sight and he altered his line just slightly so he was headed much closer to the gun than the bird. Give the concept "down the shore" mark I could not let him exit where he would have hit land. I should have handled him again before he exited the water and put him on or even past the bird. That was my mistake.

The second handle on M3 (again, I should not have let him get to this point) was to not let the dog hunt behind the gun. He has a bad habit of coming in under the arc and hunting behind the gun.

That is not a down the shore mark. Actually coming out in the middle of the arch was perfect look at wind. If he exits under the arch and then hooks gun and comes up with bird, what more could you want? Try putting your mark 30-50yds. past shore on land, getting your dog to drive on land instead of waters edge. You probably won't see many marks on the edge,plus you have some ground to handle if it looks like he's going to back side the gun. good luck Guy

People or wingers? Distances?
    I'm not a big fan of bumpers at great distances; too hard to see well, which would promote running to the gun, esp for a HT convert dog.
    Does the dog go out of site behind that rise just past the road? If so, not a good training setup if you can't see what they're doing, esp as they approach/enter water.
    Beautiful property, btw.

I would have ran three as a single. Handling on a go bird sucks. That mark lends itself to a dog docking early. Your first handle was in a good spot but I feel you missed a good chance to get in a correction once he went under the arc. I would have made the dog stay in the water as long as possible, maybe even to the end of the channel.
    Once you've handled you may as well get it right.

Mr. Freeman, are sitting in your office at work, burning time till 4:00?
    Did you run that stuff this morning?
    You should come down in the morning, we are bringing the puppies for their first exposure to water!!!
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QA2 FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2 NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QA2
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH QA2

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    People or wingers? Distances?
    I'm not a big fan of bumpers at great distances; too hard to see well, which would promote running to the gun, esp for a HT convert dog.
    Does the dog go out of site behind that rise just past the road? If so, not a good training setup if you can't see what they're doing, esp as they approach/enter water.
    Beautiful property, btw.
    Mark,

I threw these marks with wingers. I'd say the long middle mark (M1) is between 300 and 350 yards. I too am not a fan of bumpers at long distances, but then again I'm not a fan of bumpers at any distance. I noted bumpers on my notes because it is somewhat of an anomaly for me to use them. I just simply ran out of birds. Anyway, the bumpers were actually dokens with streamers attached. The dog saw the marks well. That was not an issue.

The dog does go out of sight before getting in the water on M3. I agree this is not a good training setup if that was your only consideration. I considered this issue and decided to run the mark with this dog and it worked out fine in that respect. I did hold my breath a bit when he went of of sight saying, "crap, did I screw up"

Oh and yes the property is awesome. I am extremely grateful for a RTF member and hell of a nice guy to let me use it.
    Last edited by jtfreeman; 07-18-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S. View Post
    I would have ran three as a single. Handling on a go bird sucks. That mark lends itself to a dog docking early. Your first handle was in a good spot but I feel you missed a good chance to get in a correction once he went under the arc. I would have made the dog stay in the water as long as possible, maybe even to the end of the channel.
    Once you've handled you may as well get it right.
    Jerry,

Totally agree, I screwed up on M3 in letting him get out where he did. Shame on me, I know better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    Mr. Freeman, are sitting in your office at work, burning time till 4:00?
    Did you run that stuff this morning?
    You should come down in the morning, we are bringing the puppies for their first exposure to water!!!
    Gregg,

See you there. I be there at the crack of dawn and out early.