The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Tire blind drill

Default Tire blind drill

Here's one for ya to try. Pocket is 4 years old and is not a big dog (57lbs) but this is a 13 inch tire!
    Disclaimer.....I did have to practice it a couple times to get it right but still a fun little drill.

Can't believe you didn't make him come back through the tire!!!! Very nice!

I might could get Indy to do it if I had one like this!
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...art=23&ndsp=28
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

What a dawg!!!

I have to ask. Why?
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    I have to ask. Why?

To practice precision and control mostly.
    Why throw strikes in baseball? Why would a quarterback place the ball precisely in the hands of a receiver? Bowling, why throw the ball perfectly enough to knock down all 10 pins? Basketball, why put the ball straight through the hoop? And on and on. Not to mention it was fun.
    It was practice for precise communication and team work between me and the dog. If I can put this dog through a 13 inch tire at 100 yards then I should be able to handle her through a difficult keyhole blind in a trial. When I saw the tire standing there like that the first thing that came to mind was I wonder if I can handle a dog through that? My other dogs are all too big but Pocket is perfect for the task plus she always tries hard to do what I ask her. Did I mention it was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    To practice precision and control mostly.
    Why throw strikes in baseball? Why would a quarterback place the ball precisely in the hands of a receiver? Bowling, why throw the ball perfectly enough to knock down all 10 pins? Basketball, why put the ball straight through the hoop? And on and on. Not to mention it was fun.
    It was practice for precise communication and team work between me and the dog. If I can put this dog through a 13 inch tire at 100 yards then I should be able to handle her through a difficult keyhole blind in a trial. When I saw the tire standing there like that the first thing that came to mind was I wonder if I can handle a dog through that? My other dogs are all too big but Pocket is perfect for the task plus she always tries hard to do what I ask her. Did I mention it was fun!

Sure, why not? I like it.

I was in a park in Seattle once... They had some agility type stuff set up... Just bigger. One was a big plastic culvert. I got back about 75 or 80 yards and ran my AFC through it from one end. Those people thought I was nuts. Just wanted to see if he would do it.

I remember Bill Petrovish with his first dog in Alaska, Brute... While on a blind handling the dog over one of those big round bales of hay. Ole Brute just said "OK" and jumped up on top of that bale and down the other side! The things these dogs will do for us!
    Bill Davis

But why Steve? Haha. The county fairgrounds is right by me, there is one of the horse equistrian courses there with all sorts of jumps and obsticles. I have a couple pattern blinds there same concept. I like it. Now have Lucy do it.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    I have to ask. Why?
    To me it looks like a type of "no-no" drill. Iike it and am glad he posted the video.

I thought maybe terminology from mike mike lardy's program may make some sense.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...34#post1237334
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Nice! looks like fun too.