The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In the not....

At that age, I had political bumper stickers on my car... couldn't have explained the stance of one single politician, however.
    I'd agree. I was in the first group (I think) to benefit from the voting age of 18. As I recall, the newly-minted voters between 18 and 21, voted more based on photogenic-ness than substance. Perhaps the history & govt majors at our small college were more astute, but the general student body had no clue. Most voted for Kennedy over Nixon. Maybe the choice at the time was the better one, but I really don't think it had much to do with those young voters being so astute in history and govt. It was all about personality and Kennedy having personal presence.

Do we really believe that we were smarter about life at 21 than at 41? We could certainly spot inequities and be iconclastics, but we really didn't know how to fix the things we felt were wrong. Bill Ayres et al figured they could just blow it up. He may not have changed his basic underlying goal much, but he did mature into knowing how to do it: not with a chemically engineered bomb, but with the time-bomb of manipulating the educational process.

So, Franco, maybe there is hope for the youngest generations. They see what is wrong with politics. Maybe as they mature, they will find ways to effectively change the course. Just as there should be a middle road between isolationism and nation-building, there may be a middle road between Libertarianism and Republicanism. Maybe the young generations will realize intelligent compromise can be achieved to reach the common goal of more individual freedom and less intrusive govt regulation?

Correct and if SAT scores were an indication of Intelligence, then we would have to look at who the east and west coast votes for.
    SAT scores were never (nor are other school tests) an indication of native intelligence! They are simply ways of measuring whether students have a familiarity with basic principles of math, reading (and now) writing. Whatever one's native intelligence, they can benefit from being proficient in those basic principles!

Even back in the 60s college admissions offices looked for satisfactory SATs, but ALSO gave considerable weight to HS grades. Success in college, they had found, was a combination of satisfactory mastery of the basic tools, and also the individual's willingness to work at their education on a daily basis. Our small college also gave weight to extra-curricular involvements. While good hockey players has some advantage , so did Student Council participants and art & theatre involvement, Science Fair activity, etc.

Generally speaking, from what I can tell, things like reading comprehension and facility with math, were better generally in my generation in college than what I've seen of today's product. That is not good if we depend on those basic skills to analyze and solve today's problems. Fully understanding a problem is essential to finding solutions.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Gerry,
    Over the last 30 years my management role including oversight of large warehouses. We hired primarily young men and women to do the work. All were high school graduates, I would guess during that time we hired over 300 est. We found it extremely difficult to find workers that could and would do the job. First many flunked the drug testing....over 50% who applied, this had been getting worse as the years past. Others failed within the first 90 days for not showing up or coming in late and many we found just could not do the math. We did cycle counting daily and we trained them on how to fill out the reports. Consistently many had problems with basic conversions of 'unit of measure' and 'multiplication' They had calculators and bar code readers with them, still many just could not do it! We actually had to start sending the ones that showed a high level of interest to night school, to teach them basic math skills...this of course is all validated by the declining SAT scores!

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Gerry,
    Over the last 30 years my management role including oversight of large warehouses. We hired primarily young men and women to do the work. All were high school graduates, I would guess during that time we hired over 300 est. We found it extremely difficult to find workers that could and would do the job. First many flunked the drug testing....over 50% who applied, this had been getting worse as the years past. Others failed within the first 90 days for not showing up or coming in late and many we found just could not do the math. We did cycle counting daily and we trained them on how to fill out the reports. Consistently many had problems with basic conversions of 'unit of measure' and 'multiplication' They had calculators and bar code readers with them, still many just could not do it! We also saw many that had trouble with reading and reading comprehension. We actually had to start sending the ones that showed a high level of interest to night school, to teach them basic math/ reading skills...this of course is all validated by the declining SAT scores!
    And these are the young adults that will pick our future leaders.....! Now that's scary!

Swamp, I am going to say it again, "You are an idiot" and I don't think you have the education you want folks here on POTUS to believe that you have! And that is pretty much the consensus here on POTUS.

And, shame on most of you for condemning two generations that you have placed in such a large hole.

First of all, one can NOT say all Millennials and GenXers are this or that. Yes, there are some worthless youngsters. But, as a member of the Baby Boom generation, I can say with certainty that we were not the best and brightest! Just look at what we have created in this Country!!!

I very much support the younger generation because they have to fix the mess the Repubs and Dems with your support have created.

Today's youth is Politically active, they are engage with Politics and they are looking to create a better Country then what the BB created!

They have embraced the Liberty movement because they believe in the message. They reject the corrupt message of the Repubs and Dems created by the BBers.
    They outnumber the Dems and Repubs of the same age and are the future.
    Last edited by Franco; 07-22-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    While I tend to agree with those thoughts, the problem is what I bolded, above. Look at any population statistics map and you'll find that these days, only a tiny percentage of Gen Y and the millenials and every baby born after them actually grew up in a rural area. The majority of the Gen Y and Millenials grew up in cities and suburbs and graduate from schools that have dumbed down their curriculum so much they don't even know what the Federal Reserve is, much less how big business and the IRS work. While it's great that a majority of them that grew up in rural areas have a conscience, it's foolish to think that they represent a majority of anything but Libertarians. The majority of those generations have no conscience about anything except how much free stuff they can get. And don't forget our porous borders and anchor babies have further compounded the great Dumbing Down of America. Sometime in either 2012 or 2013 for the first time, whites comprised a minority of births. Blacks remained the same as they have been for years, 12 or 13%. The biggest increase and the largest minority in this country are Hispanics. Their population is expected to rise exponentially. And we all know how they vote.
    Julie, that was why I was careful to say, Young Americans for Liberty were raised in rural areas and are gun friendly. First, the Liberty movement is the most Gun Friendly of all Political Groups. In the Libertarian Platform at LP.org we clearly state that Law Abiding Citizens should not be subjected to ANY Gun Laws. The YAL is the largest on campus Political organization in America. With over 500 Campus Chapters, they out number the on campus Dems and Repubs combined. Most of our schools are in flyover country, mostly in rural areas. The alum are spread out all over the Country. The YAL is the driving force within the Libertarian Party for the under 40 year olds though some like myself contribute to them Nationally.

At the CPAC Conference two months ago, the YAL Exhibit drew the most attention and talk at CPAC with their "War On Youth" theme exhibit. The purpose was to make the so-called Conservatives aware that they are not happy with the burden placed on them by the Repubs and Dems as well as the so-called Conservatives Draconian views on social issues.
    Last edited by Franco; 07-22-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    ... With over 500 Campus Chapters, they out number the on campus Dems and Repubs combined. ...
    And inner city Dems that will only ever vote one way, where the free check comes from, outnumber "on campus" everything by a large margin. You can affect those groups you speak of all you want, until you have 55 Million + of them voting the same and loyally, you'll never win a national election. Will be difficult to even win Senate seats. Almost all states have a select few metropolitan centers that can out vote the rest of the entire state and those city dwellers are locked in to one party. And the young americans being sucked in to entitlements is growing at a rapid pace due to the complete lack of employment.

[QUOTE=Franco;1240559]Swamp, I am going to say it again, "You are an idiot" and I don't think you have the education you want folks here on POTUS to believe that you have! And that is pretty much the consensus here on POTUS.

And, shame on most of you for condemning two generations that you have placed in such a large hole.

Franco....more name calling...still trying to substantiate your position by referring to your so called 'consensus'! Have you no shame? I know that a few of the LIBS here, take issue with mine and other conservative views.....but I also know many that agree with many of my positions and comments....actually....it doesn't matter to me, as long as I have an opportunity to voice my opinions....

As far as my education and life experience....what do you care, what do you know- NOTHING.....I know where I have been and where I am going, and now that I am retired my degrees are not really relevant, just a part of my past life.

The data I presented on the ACT are open to whatever interpretation you may have, apparently you see this as a "large hole"...your words, not mine!

You are really out of touch with the youth of today....that I know from my life experience....their are exceptions to every rule, but my past comments stand from the experience I have, and life I lived....So put that in you pipe and get high on it!

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    And inner city Dems that will only ever vote one way, where the free check comes from, outnumber "on campus" everything by a large margin. You can affect those groups you speak of all you want, until you have 55 Million + of them voting the same and loyally, you'll never win a national election. Will be difficult to even win Senate seats. Almost all states have a select few metropolitan centers that can out vote the rest of the entire state and those city dwellers are locked in to one party. And the young americans being sucked in to entitlements is growing at a rapid pace due to the complete lack of employment.
    Dan,
    No use, Franco will tell you he know it all and he has millions of people talking to him that agree with him...he is just a bit over the top, must be that 'wild weed' he smokes all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Dan,
    No use, Franco will tell you he know it all and he has millions of people talking to him that agree with him...he is just a bit over the top, must be that 'wild weed' he smokes all the time...